Value of: How Much Is That Dougie In The Window?: Hamilton's Next Contract

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Like its been said before , Devils "should" offer him 9-9.5 mil for 7 years.
I doubt he would come to NJ for (possibly ) marginally more money. It probably have to be 10mil + to have him think about NJ but not sure if Fitz would go that high. He would without a doubt get all the PP time and icetime in general that he wants in NJ but i am guessing he already can log a ton of ice in CAR.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Like its been said before , Devils "should" offer him 9-9.5 mil for 7 years.
I doubt he would come to NJ for (possibly ) marginally more money. It probably have to be 10mil + to have him think about NJ but not sure if Fitz would go that high. He would without a doubt get all the PP time and icetime in general that he wants in NJ but i am guessing he already can log a ton of ice in CAR.

I could understand a team like Philadelphia throwing the proverbial kitchen sink at him to take another shot or two with the Giroux/Voracek/Couterier group. The justification for the overpayment is in trying to win now.

New Jersey is on a different timeline. If Hamilton falls off like say Subban did, that contract could be a real impediment when the Devils turn the corner.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I don't care about term as a Canes fan. Our window is opening now. If we wants 8 years that's fine. I'd do $8x8 or like $8.25 x 6 or 7 and that's the max. If he values being in Raleigh and being on a competitive team then it's a good compromise for both sides. If he wants absolute max dollars then he'll get it elsewhere.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
He will not sign for a discount AND a term so short.

No kidding, that's why I said I don't feel too great about the possibility of the Canes giving him the same contract he is likely to get from another team as a UFA.

This is a player with some pretty significant holes in his game. He's not Sandis Ozolinsh or somebody like that, but he's also a guy you want to staple to the bench at the end of a game with a 1-goal lead, because he just has these catastrophic brain farts sometimes.

Reactions: wintersej

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
No kidding, that's why I said I don't feel too great about the possibility of the Canes giving him the same contract he is likely to get from another team as a UFA.

This is a player with some pretty significant holes in his game. He's not Sandis Ozolinsh or somebody like that, but he's also a guy you want to staple to the bench at the end of a game with a 1-goal lead, because he just has these catastrophic brain farts sometimes.

Im a Bruins fan, so if anything I probably underestimate Dougie, no need to sell me on the warts!

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
As amazing as a fit he would be alongside a TJ Brodie; the Leafs simply do not have the flexibility to to give him the $8.5 to $9m he will require.

They might be able to get close to that with Kessel coming off the books in a year, but the timing just isn't right; and it will certainly cripple any flexibility the Leafs have until the cap rises.

7-8 years is likely going to be non-negotiable, I would imagine.

As you mentioned, he'll be 28, and he's a borderline Norris contending defenceman... It makes absolutely no sense for him to sign a deal that takes him to 32 when he can have a deal that takes him to 35 or 36.
Leafs have movable assets that could easily be moved to make room . If dougie wanted to go to Toronto Nylander would be one a one way flight out of there .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I would hope the Oilers offer him 8+ . Let Larsson and Barrie walk that is just a shy under 8 million . Don't see him coming back to AB tho .

Next Year D would be so much better

Nurse Hamilton
Kulikov/Klefbom Bouchard
Samorkov Bear

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Sheesh. Three pages of prying Dougie Hamilton away from Canes, yet not a single post is addressing the key issue in the move; museums.

Reactions: GIN ANTONIC

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
8x8 with full NMC is fair for both sides. He seems to be comfortable in Carolina, no reason to chase every last dollar to put himself in a city hes not comfortable with.

Reactions: GIN ANTONIC

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
buyer beware on that contract. having hamilton out there protecting late leads or as a shutdown pair in the playoffs would scare the hell out of me on my team.

he simply is brain dead during high pressure situations and he has never outgrown his roaming mentality. he constantly creates turnovers and makes gaffes at the blue line or neutral zone, often gets caught too deep in the offensive zone, and terribly times pinches routinely

if you could get him on a deal, sure. but I wouldnt back up the truck to try and get him or keep him

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I think it was mentioned that in discussion with his agent the hurricanes were looking for a Krug type number while Hamilton was looking for Pietrangelo money.

come to Philly. We got great museums

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I think it was mentioned that in discussion with his agent the hurricanes were looking for a Krug type number while Hamilton was looking for Pietrangelo money.

come to Philly. We got great museums

Yup. Those are the staring points for sure. Something around 8AAV seems to make sense.

Reactions: Tryamw

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
8x8 with full NMC is fair for both sides. He seems to be comfortable in Carolina, no reason to chase every last dollar to put himself in a city hes not comfortable with.
Do you mean a city without museums?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad