Value of: How Much Is That Dougie In The Window?: Hamilton's Next Contract

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
What do you think Hamilton's next contract will be worth?

He's really come into his own the last 2 seasons, and there are a number of teams (Arizona, Winnipeg, Ottawa, New Jersey, etc) who could use his services and will have the cap space to make it happen

Unless he's willing to take less money for a specific destination (ie. his hometown team Toronto), I think we could see him land a contract worth north of 9 million per season

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
What do you think Hamilton's next contract will be worth?

He's really come into his own the last 2 seasons, and there are a number of teams (Arizona, Winnipeg, Ottawa, New Jersey, etc) who could use his services and will have the cap space to make it happen

Unless he's willing to take less money for a specific destination (ie. his hometown team Toronto), I think we could see him land a contract worth north of 9 million per season

Dougie don’t wanna be in Toronto.

He shouldn’t get as much as AP but he’s for sure worth more than Krug. Canes would like to get it done for around 8AAV which is reasonable.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020

He shouldn’t get as much as AP but he’s for sure worth more than Krug. Canes would like to get it done for around 8AAV which is reasonable.

Hamilton is 3.5 years younger, and arguably just as good as AP... why shouldn't he get paid as much?

Reactions: Flyer lurker

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Hamilton is 3.5 years younger, and arguably just as good as AP... why shouldn't he get paid as much?

He’s not as good. Well this year he’s playing better for sure but not history leading up to this year.
Dougie is a beast no doubt but he racks up points on a very good Carolina pp. He’s an important part of it but you could interchange him with other guys and the results would still be there.

Reactions: Tryamw

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
He’s not as good. Well this year he’s playing better for sure but not history leading up to this year.
Dougie is a beast no doubt but he racks up points on a very good Carolina pp. He’s an important part of it but you could interchange him with other guys and the results would still be there.

It's not just this year, if not for his injury last season, I think he would've been a Norris finalist...

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
It's not just this year, if not for his injury last season, I think he would've been a Norris finalist...

For sure. He definitely would have been up there. I can’t see the Canes going to $8.5. Dougie will get his money and Canes will pay up but they gotta meet in the middle somewhere. They’ve got a good thing going and they both know it

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
For sure. He definitely would have been up there. I can’t see the Canes going to $8.5. Dougie will get his money and Canes will pay up but they gotta meet in the middle somewhere. They’ve got a good thing going and they both know it

Over his last 92 games, he has 20 goals, 57 assists, 77 points and is +48

Dougie doesn't have to "meet in the middle" if he doesn't want to...

If the Canes aren't willing to give him 8.5 million, some other team surely will

And like I said in the OP, I could see him getting 9+ million from someone

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Over his last 92 games, he has 20 goals, 57 assists, 77 points and is +48

Dougie doesn't have to "meet in the middle" if he doesn't want to...

If the Canes aren't willing to give him 8.5 million, some other team surely will

And like I said in the OP, I could see him getting 9+ million from someone

Having been a square peg in a round hole in two organizations early in his career I’m sure he values having found a home in Carolina where he clearly s comfortable. That had value as well. If he wants to just go for the biggest payday then sure someone might break the bank for him but the Canes aren’t going to overpay to keep the guy. Aho is at $8.5 and he’s the face of the franchise. Dougie’s not getting more than him.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

Was thinking this...

There's also somewhat of a "light at the end of the tunnel" with respect to COVID...

Maybe Aho's $8.5m creates an internal ceiling for him; but on the open market he's likely worth every bit of what Alex Pietrangelo is being paid. Some other poster mentioned his stats over the last 2 years:
93 games, 20 goals, 77 points.

Rarely hurt, great size and skating ability, and this is a little bit of a "down year" from a goalscoring perspective. Like Pietrangelo, he's likely to age pretty well too.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
I have no doubt that if he chooses to test free agency that there will be interest and likely an offer from the Jets.

How was his relationship with Ron Francis when he was in Carolina? Could also see the Kraken recruiting him in free agency as they will have the cap space and and a possible good working relationship to build off.

Last edited:

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Fringe Norris contender, gotta figure he gets at least $9M if his agent is decent and he doesn’t willingly take a bit of a cut to stay/go somewhere.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I have no doubt that if he chooses to test free agency that there will be interest and likely an offer from the Jets.

How was his relationship with Ron Francis when he was in Carolina? Could also see the Kraken recruiting him in free agency as they will have the cap space and and a possible good working relationship to build off.

No relationship. Hamilton was a Waddell stamp on the roster.

Reactions: Chrispy

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
$7.5 to $8 million a year. 3 or 4 years I would think.

As a Canes fan, I'm on the fence about re-signing him at the contract he's likely to get. I think he's a $6 million player, not an $8 million one. Too much inconsistency, too many holes in his game. People are going to look at his points production and assume he had some great year, but I've been mostly underwhelmed so far.

I'll of course reserve the right to change my mind if he goes on one of his famous dominating hot streaks for the playoffs.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019

Hamilton is a top 4 or 5 D. Worth as much as AP easy and he may indeed want to play in his hometown.
He easily gets 8.5 to 9.5 from almost any team . Not a lesf fan but can see them paying 9mil for 5 years

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
If he stays in CAR the number is likely $7.5-7.75M x 5-6yrs. If he hits ufa, which I see no reason for him not to, he most definitely gets $8M+ x 7yrs. I don’t see $9M, unless some team is desperate and all he wants is money vs playing on a contender.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
This is really one of the more fascinating free agency decisions Carolina has had to make in a long, long time. We dealt Faulk a year early as Faulk was probably seeking a 6-7 year big money deal. For sure, Hamilton is a better player and will want more. Hamilton will occasionally make some defensive lapses which make you shake his head. He also is one of the best offensive defensemen in the game today. He is elite offensively, and above average defensively, and can play 25 minutes a game. He has a great attitude and the team/fans love him. He is also aided greatly by playing with Slavin, who might be the best defensive player in the National Hockey League. He fits the team perfectly, and the team fits him.

My biggest concern is term. He turns 28 this offseason, which gives him some good years left. His game probably won't fall off real fast as it doesn't rely on elite speed. It's more about his reach, positioning, lateral puck moving, and shot. He plays the game perfectly for his size. Anyway, I'm concerned with going 7 or 8 years. Next year we must re-sign Necas. In a few years we must re-sign Aho, Pesce, and Teravainen. It's a long ways off, but you have to play big contracts very carefully. I'd be much more comfortable paying Hamilton elite money for 3 years ($9M, 3 years) than big money for a longer term ($8M, 7 years). Obviously Hamilton is going to want that term.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
From Carolina either 7 x $8,750,000 or 8 x $8,750,000 give or take.
He might get that first one somewhere, but I can't see the Canes being willing to go there. Unfortunately, as I really want him to stay on the this team, but I think ownership and management are more interested in keeping the players with the peak salaries lower so the supporting cast members can be better. If Dougie is willing to do something in the AAV range of $8M, then maybe...

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I've said it a bunch but I can see Seattle making a competitive offer. 9mX7 possibly

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
I think the Devils just give him Subban money and after a year split Subban's money amongst Bratt + Hughes. They're flexible enough to do that and still have a good bit of cap space to spare.

but they won't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad