How Long Will We Keep Pretending That a D Is More Needed Than A #1 C

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
as an oiler fan we sort a have three top C's (McJEsus, Nugie and Leon D) we will be trading either Nugie or Leon D in hope of getting a number 1 D-man

tell any oiler fan that having a number 1 C is more important then a number 1 D(legit number 1 D)

The flip side of this is pointing to Nashville who was looking for a 1C for a long time, and traded a D for one.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Who cares about the past. If you see a player you like and hes there when you pick, you take him. Thats like oh never take a Slovenian , theyve never made the NHL. derp. Or never take a player below 5'10 in the draft because the big bad bruins/kings won the cup.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
Last few years 1st round pick defensemans from the Canucks
Luc Bourdon (10)

Bryan Allen (4)

Brad Ference (10)

Mattias Ohlund (13)

Mike Wilson (20)

Jason Herter (8)

Best is Ohlund. Everyone else sucked except Bourdon which we dont know what would of happened.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The argument makes more sense for not drafting goalies high. They are more hit or miss/uncertain, and for whatever reason, they have less value around the league (both to sell and to acquire).

Having a great #1 defenseman makes the single biggest impact on a team, IMO. A Norris level defenseman makes the goalie infinitely better, the entire D-core infinitely better, special teams infinitely better, AND the forwards infinitely better. They're harder to draft, but not doing it and relying on later picks is putting yourself at a disadvantage as well.
Last few years 1st round pick defensemans from the Canucks
Luc Bourdon (10)

Bryan Allen (4)

Brad Ference (10)

Mattias Ohlund (13)

Mike Wilson (20)

Jason Herter (8)

Best is Ohlund. Everyone else sucked except Bourdon which we dont know what would of happened.
We can play that same game with forwards, though. Our drafting/development just plain sucks.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
But I think they're more interested in Bean or Sergachev from what I heard on some posts, I'm not sure, but it might be all 3 of those guys

I think Benning mentioned wanting to see those 2 guys partly because they weren't at the world juniors, so the TPG was an opportunity to see them against better comp

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Trading for a #1 center is damn near impossible in today's NHL without setting this teams prospect pool back years.

But yes Vancouver does need that 1st round Blue Chip D-man in their prospect pool.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
This high in the draft you take the best player and then figure it out later on down the road. Nashville of all teams didn't need another defenseman when they took Jones and it worked out great for them. Especially since we don't have any young guaranteed top line forwards or top pairing defenseman (besides Tanev).

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
We must draft BPA, especially in the first round. That said, we've got it backwards....we needed the young D before the forwards. They take longer to develop. We can't win without an exceptional top 4. Me are missing three high end D prospects. We are missing one top end center prospect.

Roy Baby*

Sep 28, 2015
Phoenix,AZ
Told you I was right :laugh:

"Good D come out of nowhere" *JB proceeds to get Stecher and lights this place on fire*

With this said, the #1 C is still the biggest issue this season. There's not even one close in sight.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Told you I was right :laugh:

"Good D come out of nowhere" *JB proceeds to get Stecher and lights this place on fire*

With this said, the #1 C is still the biggest issue this season. There's not even one close in sight.
You still prepared to give us Domi from "your coyotes" for Virtanen?

Roy Baby*

Sep 28, 2015
Phoenix,AZ
You still prepared to give us Domi from "your coyotes" for Virtanen?

Wouldn't make too much sense on either side since we just got Crouse and Baertschi is supposed to be your "Domi"

Love the kid though obviously seeing as I have his jersey.

Something I think would make sense though would be Edler for Dvorak and a 2nd. Wondering if you guys would do that?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Wouldn't make too much sense on either side since we just got Crouse and Baertschi is supposed to be your "Domi"

Love the kid though obviously seeing as I have his jersey.

Something I think would make sense though would be Edler for Dvorak and a 2nd. Wondering if you guys would do that?

I'll take that as a hell no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad