How long until Mcdavid takes over league lead in points?

How many games played by Mcdavid before he leads the league?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Why do fans of other teams keep bringing up Matthews? He hasn't been the league leader in points for a while now. The man you want to be talking about is Rantanen. How long before McDavid catches him? I voted 11-20, but McDavid only getting one point tonight hurts him. Now Rantanen has a better PPG.

Reactions: Casanova

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
McDavid literally gets 33% more ice time than Matthews, so of course he's going to blow by him.

If Matthews paces for 90 points over however many games he plays, watch out. That would be 120 points with McDavid's ice time. I think McDavid will get 130, but that's pretty close. Leafs haters are going to be real salty.
:laugh:

This is Leafs fans in a nutshell.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
He cracked top 5, but he has two games in hand on Ratanen, Kane and MacKinnon.

Malkin however, is a point ahead of McDavid and has three games in hand on the top 3, while having one game in hand on McDavid himself.

Will be fun to watch the Art Ross race this year, hope no one misses any significant time.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
McDavid literally gets 33% more ice time than Matthews, so of course he's going to blow by him.

If Matthews paces for 90 points over however many games he plays, watch out. That would be 120 points with McDavid's ice time. I think McDavid will get 130, but that's pretty close. Leafs haters are going to be real salty.

There is absolutely zero reason to believe that Matthews has more points if you switched places with him and McDavid. And vice versa.

If it is a matter of more icetime = more points, why doesn't McDavid get 30 minutes a game so he can put up 150 points?

Last edited:

Yasuo

Sep 7, 2016
I think the 4 favorite at this point are

Mcdavid

Mackinnon
Malkin
Kane

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

There’s a lot wrong with this post.

First off: Matthews was shooting at a 50% rate. That’s unsustainable.

Second off: More ice time minutes does not guarantee an increase in production.

You can go on all about pace, but it looks flat out delusional to suggest that Matthews would get 120 points with McDavids ice time.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
We should see several 100pt+ players this season which is absolutely fantastic for the league.

If the top guys remain healthy, I think it ends up as a close race between McDavid and Malkin, both breaking 120pts

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015

He won’t, he’s a bandaid

So you’re suggesting Babcock isn’t playing Mathews more cause he dosent want to have a 120pt player lol?

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Why do fans of other teams keep bringing up Matthews? He hasn't been the league leader in points for a while now. The man you want to be talking about is Rantanen. How long before McDavid catches him? I voted 11-20, but McDavid only getting one point tonight hurts him. Now Rantanen has a better PPG.

because some leaf fans were posting that they would be shocked if 3 leaf players were not in the top 10 for pts for the entire year--like I said--some leaf fans

Reactions: Frosty415

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
He cracked top 5, but he has two games in hand on Ratanen, Kane and MacKinnon.

Malkin however, is a point ahead of McDavid and has three games in hand on the top 3, while having one game in hand on McDavid himself.

Will be fun to watch the Art Ross race this year, hope no one misses any significant time.

SillyRabbit, that's already happened. :(

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
He won’t, he’s a bandaid

So you’re suggesting Babcock isn’t playing Mathews more cause he dosent want to have a 120pt player lol?

That wouldn't bode well for contract negotiations. The ice time argument is not a good one though, he wouldn't keep up with McDavid in the long run even with the same ice time.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
I'm a big Geno fan (one of the biggest on this board) but I think you're seriously underestimating Mcdavid there.
Mcdavid for me at is offensively as good as Geno at his best and that says quite something as when he is on, Malkin for me is the best offensive player in the Ovie-Sid era.And the scary thing is that Mcdavid will only improve from now.

Mcdavid just gives me that quite rare vibe where you feel a player can score or be dangerous every time he touches the puck in EVERY kind of way (stickhandling, shooting, passing, etc...).
I've had that vibe perhaps only 4 times in the last 25 years: with lemieux, jagr, geno and now Mcdavid.
Didn’t feel that way with peak OV?

jbobell98

Dec 14, 2017
There is absolutely zero reason to believe that Matthews has more points if you switched places with him and McDavid. And vice versa.

If it is a matter of more icetime = more points, why doesn't McDavid get 30 minutes a game so he can put up 150 points?
Better yet why doesnt mcdavid just play the whole game if TOI = Points?

Yuri35

Mar 11, 2018
Didn’t feel that way with peak OV?

I knew that someone would bring me Ovie's name and that's precisely why i said " dangerous in ANY KIND OF WAY";-)
Even at his peak, I always thought Ovie was a bit of one trick pony and just a pure goal scorer with amazing shot (but a f***ing good one and possibly the best of all time there).
While guys like Mario, jagr or Malkin could singlehandly dangle their way alone to the goal or give a magical assist to their linemates.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
I knew that someone would bring me Ovie's name and that's precisely why i said " dangerous in ANY KIND OF WAY";-)
Even at his peak, I always thought Ovie was a bit of one trick pony and just a pure goal scorer with amazing shot (but a ****ing good one and possibly the best of all time there).
While guys like Mario, jagr or Malkin could singlehandly dangle their way alone to the goal or give a magical assist to their linemates.
ovechkin had amazing hands in his peak, coupled with his size and physicality, he was literally unstoppable

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Even at his peak, I always thought Ovie was a bit of one trick pony and just a pure goal scorer with amazing shot (but a ****ing good one and possibly the best of all time there).

You just described Patrick Laine not Alex Ovechkin.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

At the end of the day, did these magical skills propel Malkin above OV or Crosby production-wise? No.

Malkin was not the best offensive player of his era no matter how hard one tries to spin his numbers. Using the injury excuse vs. Crosby has become comical.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
At his peak Ovechkin won two Hart’s with malkin finishing second

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017

U should enter the olympics. U could get gold with those mental gymnastics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad