Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Band wagon Jumper

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
DIscovered Ice Hockey via early video games as not shown here in the UK (blades of steel on my friend's nintendo I think)...when NHL Hockey came out in '94, I chose the Red Wings because of the uniform (same colours as my football team) and the amazing array of names in the team at that time, particularly the best players - Yzerman, Lidstrom, Fedorov, Kozlov, Konstantinov etc, and I just thought they were very interesting. In Feb 95 I went to Canada and saw some live Ice Hockey (Noqdiques before they became the enemy) and was able to watch a wings game on TV. That was me done....great players, great atmosphere, exciting game. Of course the more I learned about the team and the players and their stories, the greater that love became!

MrKriben

Dec 16, 2014
Stockholm
Started around the 90s.. Two of the best names in hockey and Sega got me into the Red Wings.
Yzerman and Ciccarelli
Had a REAL hard time following the team during the late Holland stint and with Babcock but I still define myself as supporting Red Wings even if I watch more teams now.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
My first game was at the Old Red Barn.....Olympia Stadium.

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
I started playing hockey at Lakeland ice arena in Waterford, MI for a Mini Mite team in 1997 because of the wings and their Stanley cup win. My mom and dad really loved hockey as well.

I will always love the wings even though I have some great friends on other teams.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
First team I have any memories of is 91-92. Guys like Yves Racine and Vincent Riendeau. Fun names to say. And Tim Cheveldae.

I really was die-hard by 93-94 though. f***in stupid baby Chris Osgood.
l

Twinger

Sep 28, 2017
It was around 93/94/95 so close to 30. I remember being 6 or 7 I loved hockey and lived in leafs country so was kind of a fan of them. My dad never really admitted to having a favourite team (still won't but I know it's the Oilers) my papa like minnesota north stars because his brother played a couple seasons with them but then they left and he stopped having a favourite team. Toronto got beat out and I liked Fedorov from the fastest skater so I cheered for the wings and they lost to Jersey and my dad said well you have to stick with them plus Yzermans one of the best and then of course they won the next year so I stuck with them

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Dad grew up in Detroit and I never had a choice and never looked despite never living in Michigan, though spent a lot of time there because of family - been a fan ever since I can remember. The first year I really recall following the team was 92-93 as a little kid watching the playoffs on a tiny black and white TV at grandma's house, though there's pictures of me decked out in Wings hats and t-shirts earlier, wish I had kept some of that merch.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
The year was 1990...

We had Pass Sports on our cable TV package. Wings were playing Vancouver. Sergei Fedorov was a rookie and absolutely lit Vancouver up. Lots of fights, scrums, and scrapiness. I was hooked from that moment.

I went to my first game at the Joe in 1993-94. Fedorov, maybe Kozlov, and Ciccarelli started the game for Detroit against Calgary. Ciccarelli scored an early powerplay. Bob Probert fought Sandy McCarthy and got ejected for headbutting him. Rookie Chris Osgood vs rookie Trevor Kidd. It was a bloody game.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
45 years or so. My folks said they took me to the Olympia, but I was too young to remember.

GetTheLumberUp

Jun 25, 2022
64ish years. Started watching 1960 or so. HNIC was a Saturday night religion in our house. Still is, in my house today. Saw the Canadiens win the cup at Olympia in '66. Standing room, in the balcony, with the old man, & older brother. Mickey still talks about that goal. Henri Richard sliding into the Wings net with the puck under him, pushing Crozier into the net in OT. What a heart breaker.

Survived the disaster years, Howe leaving, Marcel Dionne going to LA, Harkness, Dead wings. Some tough times for hockey in Detroit. We're die hards. The wife & I used our wedding money, to buy season tickets. Furniture? Down payment on a home? Hell no! Season tickets, baby! That was the 78-79 season. The last full year at Olympia. The team was terrible, but we didn't care. We had a blast. If I remember correctly it was $6.50 per seat / game. 2nd row balcony. Great seats.

I was fortunate enough to watch the 'evolution' of the Wings back then. Great team goes down the crapper for a long time. Horrible management. Good players bolting or getting traded out. It was some tough sledding. That made the success of the 90's Wings that much more satisfying.

Hope I live long enough to see them successfully evolve into another contender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad