Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Band wagon Jumper

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I clicked random on NHL94 a bunch of times and ended up with the Wings when starting a new season. That and the aura of Fedorov hooked me. I lived in a non-hockey market (rural western Iowa) so had no convenient regional allegiance to default to and it took someone like Fedorov to penetrate through. That it coincided with the Wings surge to prominence cemented it.

Don't even remember how or why my brother ended up with a copy of that game. He didn't follow any sports like I did at the time. I'm the only one who played it.

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
I voted 30 but it's more like 28-29

Basically the entire time I've been making memories I've liked watching the Wings, my mom says I was always glued to the TV watching the Wings and Packers when I was 6-10 and that has continued my whole life.
I am now 70 and can remember watching Gordie Howe, Sawchuk, Delvecchio. Lindsay, Ullman in the late 50's early 60's on Hockey Night in Canada. In those days of course it was black and white TV.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
The lure was a box of 1990-91 Pro Set Hockey cards. My uncle purchased a box each for me and a cousin. It was shop that sold comics and cards. Wish I could remember the place but it's also where he bought me issues from the Death of Superman series a few years later. I think it was in Livonia or Westland.

My cousin was already into hockey and wanted the Fedorov rookie card. I can remember him telling me "Just look for the McDonald's sign in the background". We blazed through the packs. I ended up with 2 Fedorov rookies and my poor cousin yielded zilch!

Twas my Wings fandom origin story.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I'm 34, A cousin of my fathers played for the Wings. After I went to my first hockey game in Saskatoon and fell in love, it was Detroit everything (not that there was a choice in my house). I wanted the white Nike skates to be like Federov, wanted a funny goalie mask to be like Osgood. As long as I can remember if the Wings were playing, thats what was on the TV. My father liked to remind me I grew up at a good time to be a Wings fan, as I missed alot of the sadness that came before the 25 year run.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I'll just quote myself from the other thread today

Been a fan since the 92/93 season when I started following the NHL. I got into it because of NHLPA Hockey on the Mega Drive. I already had a Red Wings cap, so of course I played with the Wings and that's how I started following them.

Living in Norway, it was hard to watch games. Nearly impossible. One or two live games a week on a Swedish channel, Femman, iirc, but all of the SC Finals were live. Had to check teletext before I left for school for results and box scores. Page 302-304 on SVT(I am sure those in Sweden can relate). Point leaders were updated once a week.

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
It's been 61 years this year, one of the few in my hometown, mostly Habs, Leafs or Bruins growing up as they were the closest teams back in those days. The Habs used to have their Fall training camps here and for a few years their AHL team, so we always got a few exhibition games at our local rink back then. The younger folks tend to be more Pens, Avs or Bruins given the local guys on those teams, but there are still some wings fans to be found. :cool:

BTW, I was unable to vote, so I'll have to do some settings diving to see why not

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
It's been 61 years this year, one of the few in my hometown, mostly Habs, Leafs or Bruins growing up as they were the closest teams back in those days. The Habs used to have their Fall training camps here and for a few years their AHL team, so we always got a few exhibition games at our local rink back then. The younger folks tend to be more Pens, Avs or Bruins given the local guys on those teams, but there are still some wings fans to be found. :cool:

BTW, I was unable to vote, so I'll have to do some settings diving to see why not
I believe you have to be a member for 45 days before you can vote in polls.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
My friends dad worked for a steel company that had tickets. No one really wanted them those days because it was the Dead Wings era so we'd go all the time and get there early as his dad got a few ginger ales with friends before the game.

We'd hang out by the bench and watch warm ups and got to know the equipment manager because we were there so often. I think his name was Dominic Mara? After a few seasons of that my friend had quite the collection of game sticks. For some reason I was never really interested in them (too much of a hassle to carry around? I don't remember what my thinking was) but did take a few game pucks. Still cold from the ice bucket.

Once the game started no matter where our seats were we could always move down to better ones if we were so inclined. Lots of fun nights at the Joe. I remember being deathly afraid of the "grey coats" though. JLA security with a less than pristine reputation.

Reactions: GreatGordie9

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
My Dad used to bring a tiny black and white portable TV into my bedroom to watch all the Wings and HNIC games. He'd put it up on a card table and drink beer. He'd tell me all about the great things he'd witnessed over the years, and I soaked it up. I loved the Wings from the get-go, but I really fell in love with the game through HNIC. This was the '60s, and the CBC production was top notch for the era. The cameramen were better, the announcers more knowledgeable, the intermissions more fun, Roger Doucet singing in French. It was a freaking pageant.

The Wings were my team, but Canadian hockey was the reason I demanded skates for my 6th birthday. I waited all day Saturday for those Channel 9 games, and that stupid goddam Beachcombers show couldn't end fast enough for me.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
i'm 33 and I guess on some level most of my life

but I started paying way more attention to the sport in 2010 around when I joined this forum, no particular reason really my interest in the sport just randomly spiked around when I hit 20

Reactions: saska sault

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
I voted 30 but it's more like 28-29

Basically the entire time I've been making memories I've liked watching the Wings, my mom says I was always glued to the TV watching the Wings and Packers when I was 6-10 and that has continued my whole life.
Same here except I had the decency to go back and change my vote to 20 ;)

Geezer WC

Standing room
Jan 29, 2022
40 years. It was all Leafs all the time growing up. Then the old prick Harold Ballard traded away all my favourite players and I swore off the Leafs. I hate them to this day. Moved to the Vancouver area liked some of the players Stan Smyl, Curt Fraser etc and became a fan. They had a run in 1980 and made the finals. Moved again and it was all Leafs on tv again. At the time I found all the fights in the Chuck Norris division entertaining. Decided I like Probert and Kocur plus the Wings had this new kid Yzerman I thought was going to be good. Wings it was.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00