How good will Alexander Ovechkin be? Better than Kovalchuk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alecfromtherock

Feb 2, 2004
AgentNaslund said:
Kovalchuk at draft date 6'2 220 pounds
Ovehckin at draft date 6'2 205 Pounds, plus a year older then kovalchuk when being drafted.

Kovalchuk, natural born talent.

Kovalchuk over Ovechkin. Ovechkin was so cocky, I wouldnt want that guy on my team. Everyone would hunt for his knee. What happend to Ovehckin at the gold meddle game? Everyone was hitting him including crosby finally his weak shoulders gave in.

Wasn’t it Boston’s french import that had the really big hit on AO in the WJC?

Ovechkin is(was is not the correct tense) cocky but might have enough skill to ‘pull it off’ and is an interesting playing to watch because of his Attitude.

A cocky player as a teammate is not that bad as long as they are not a one-man show(puck hog ect)

Crosby and AO seem to share the same fate in that they are both targets of other players. With a bottom weighed draft lottery Crosby might find himself playing for the Capitalis alongside AO when the NHL resumes(when one is being targeted the other should have better scoring chances)

Mutual Bullseyes-ary is what it should be called.

MassiveHabs

Jan 10, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
UltimoRoger said:
Are you referring to the WJC? Because I remember him 'trying' to play with his bummed shoulder. As well, I don't consider someone who cries after his team loses an act of "bailing" on them. To me, it looks more like he feels guilty that his team lost, pretty much the way a good captain should feel.

If you're not referring to the WJC, please explain, because I am curious.

Last time i checked you can still sit dressed on the bench because of a hurt shoulder and not just leave ur teammates standing, i know thats what i did, and i wasn't even the captain...We all know every body has got excuses

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Taxman said:
I really doubt Ovechkin is going to be the scoring machine that Kovalchuk is. Would Ovechkin been able to be 2nd on that list, ahead of Kovalchuk? I seriously don't think so. I doubt he would have come close. It is really too bad we couldn't watch what Ovechkin could have done had there been a season this year.

Since there is no season, Ovechkin will start playing in the NHL at almost 20 ... so of course he won't be able to score as much as Kovalchuk did.

And I would like to add that NHL stats lost all value
today because of the 94 lockout and this year's cancelled season.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
AgentNaslund said:
Ovechkin was so cocky, I wouldnt want that guy on my team. Everyone would hunt for his knee. What happend to Ovehckin at the gold meddle game? Everyone was hitting him including crosby finally his weak shoulders gave in.
Come on AgentNaslund,your posts are usually good,this seems a little too biased.
Yes, he did look bad the gold medal game but in no way do I think that's a good
indication of what kind of player he will become.One of the reasons Canada was
able to zero in on him was his team wasn't very deep especially compared to
Canada.In today's game any player is succeptable to injury-but there's no
indication that he is especially proned to injury.

You may be right that Kovalchuk will be better but Ovechkin is one major talent.
They are both very fast,does anyone know if they raced each other in a skills
competition.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
pei fan said:
Come on AgentNaslund,your posts are usually good,this seems a little too biased.
Yes, he did look bad the gold medal game but in no way do I think that's a good
indication of what kind of player he will become.One of the reasons Canada was
able to zero in on him was his team wasn't very deep especially compared to
Canada.In today's game any player is succeptable to injury-but there's no
indication that he is especially proned to injury.

You may be right that Kovalchuk will be better but Ovechkin is one major talent.
They are both very fast,does anyone know if they raced each other in a skills
competition.

Ovechkin is faster than Kovalchuck, at least according to an RSL skills race a couple of months ago. He has a great attitude (the jerk myth is amusing) and does other things Ilya doesn't do as documented ad nauseum. But how can anyone argue with Kovalchuck's success?

But for the sake of argument and sheer boredome:

1. Kovalchuck
1a. Ovechkin
1b. Malkin
2. Datsyuk
3. Zherdev
4. Frolov

Mr.Brownov*

AgentNaslund said:
Kovalchuk at draft date 6'2 220 pounds
Ovehckin at draft date 6'2 205 Pounds, plus a year older then kovalchuk when being drafted.

Kovalchuk, natural born talent.

Kovalchuk over Ovechkin. Ovechkin was so cocky, I wouldnt want that guy on my team. Everyone would hunt for his knee. What happend to Ovehckin at the gold meddle game? Everyone was hitting him including crosby finally his weak shoulders gave in.

Ovechkin's bday fell on a later date and is why he was drafted near 19 years of age.So that's why he was almost a year older than Kovy and many others when he was drafted.If he was legal for the 2003 draft,he still would of went first overall.
Why do fans also judge a player by their size?It means nothing.Who cares if Kovy was 15lbs heavier than Ovy,really?
And please explain how Ovy was being cocky.Are you reffering to his playing style?To me cocky would be Ribeiro or even Nashville prospect Radulov.Ovy doesn't display their attitudes.
And finally;As for the WJC gold medal game,what do you think would of happened if Crosby was russian and Ovy was canadian?I'm sure Sid would have been aching after hits from Phaneuf,Richards,Carter,etc............

As for my pics "All Round":
Ovechkin
Frolov
Kovalchuk
Malkin
Zherdev
Datsyuk

Offensively:
Kovy
Ovy
Malkin
Datsyuk
Zherdev
Frolov

Block

Feb 14, 2005
I'm really confused about this cocky thing. Where did that come from? I've never seen anywhere but here say anything but great things about the kid's attitude. Is it just because he's not canadian?

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
yeah the attitude bashing is just ridiculous...I've never read any of accounts that convey that.

I think it is impossible to compare Kovalchuk who has already proved that he can score in the NHL. Ovechkin will have to do the same and has the POTENTIAL to do so. Though in the long run I would guess Kovalchuk would score more goals and Oveckin more assists.

Astaroth

Apr 22, 2004
Montreal,Qc
Kovalchuk hands down, he's just a proven beast and so young and full of so much potential. Ovocop is impressive at times but not enough for me to put him above Kovalchuk based on potential.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
Mr.Brownov said:
Ovechkin's bday fell on a later date and is why he was drafted near 19 years of age.So that's why he was almost a year older than Kovy and many others when he was drafted.If he was legal for the 2003 draft,he still would of went first overall.
Why do fans also judge a player by their size?It means nothing.Who cares if Kovy was 15lbs heavier than Ovy,really?
And please explain how Ovy was being cocky.Are you reffering to his playing style?To me cocky would be Ribeiro or even Nashville prospect Radulov.Ovy doesn't display their attitudes.
And finally;As for the WJC gold medal game,what do you think would of happened if Crosby was russian and Ovy was canadian?I'm sure Sid would have been aching after hits from Phaneuf,Richards,Carter,etc............

As for my pics "All Round":
Ovechkin
Frolov
Kovalchuk
Malkin
Zherdev
Datsyuk

Offensively:
Kovy
Ovy
Malkin
Datsyuk
Zherdev
Frolov
Yay Frolov gets some love thx! Frolov is amazing All around. Offensivelly i may have to agree with you yet i think he will put up more points then some of those you put above him look at the stats in the Russian leauge right now he was #2 for first half of the season

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
wilka91 said:
It's hard to choose between a player who considers himself a superstar even before playing a single game in the NHL and another guy who is too selfish with the puck and who thinks he's the only player who can score.

I'd take Frolov over any of them.

You cant fault a player for being selfish with the puck when he's one best goal scorers in the world right now

Mr.Brownov*

AnThGrt said:
Yay Frolov gets some love thx! Frolov is amazing All around. Offensivelly i may have to agree with you yet i think he will put up more points then some of those you put above him look at the stats in the Russian leauge right now he was #2 for first half of the season
Yes no doubt he's the man in the Super League right now.Offensively I wanted to put him ahead of Zherdev and possibly Datsyuk,but I feel that his game is so well rounded compared to the two,that they both will probably edge him in points.Not many mind you.I would love to see Frolov dominate the NHL also!

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Habsfan 32 said:
Ovechkin will be better overall. Malkin over Ovechkin for me tho.

Nice seeing all the love Malkin is getting. Three in one thread and none Pens' fans that I could see. I however would not say Malkin > AO right now except tongue in cheek (as I have in the past). And I am a Pens' fan. I think that both are huge talents with lots of potential and I am very happy that the Pens have one of them. Comparisons are not that easy as both play very different games. If pressed though I would say that both are pretty close though with AO with the edge as he has developed a year over Malkin and Malkin still has to prove that he will continue to develope. But AO and Malkin close is something very few thought not so long ago. In one way Malkin has a slight edge in that he did not go #1, that is a two edged sword, AO as savior is a tough position to live up to though he certainly has the ability to perhaps do so. Malkin does not have that monkey on his back. He also is not likely to read his press clippings because compared to AO he still has very few.

As a ps of where Malkin has developed to, before the draft I had made the offer on the trades board to see if Malkin plus Whitney would be accepted for AO. One took me up on it. I wonder how many would trade Malkin + Whitney for AO now? I for one would not make that trade and keep Malkin. I wonder how many Caps fans would pull the trigger on that now?

Last edited:

Dadof5boys

May 25, 2003
Murfreesbo Tennessee
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
Nice seeing all the love Malkin is getting. Three in one thread and none Pens' fans that I could see. I however would not say Malkin > AO right now except tongue in cheek (as I have in the past). And I am a Pens' fan. I think that both are huge talents with lots of potential and I am very happy that the Pens have one of them. Comparisons are not that easy as both play very different games. If pressed though I would say that both are pretty close though with AO with the edge as he has developed a year over Malkin and Malkin still has to prove that he will continue to develope. But AO and Malkin close is something very few thought not so long ago. In one way Malkin has a slight edge in that he did not go #1, that is a two edged sword, AO as savior is a tough position to live up to though he certainly has the ability to perhaps do so. Malkin does not have that monkey on his back. He also is not likely to read his press clippings because compared to AO he still has very few.

As a ps of where Malkin has developed to, before the draft I had made the offer on the trades board to see if Malkin plus Whitney would be accepted for AO. One took me up on it. I wonder how many would trade Malkin + Whitney for AO now? I for one would not make that trade and keep Malkin. I wonder how many Caps fans would pull the trigger on that now?

Well I know of one that wouldn't even if you threw in MAF and Welch... :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad