How good will Alexander Ovechkin be? Better than Kovalchuk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
PapaBear said:
Who would you choose...which will be better

A.O or kovy.

Nash/Zherdev or Ovechkin/Semin
Can't say who will be better but from what I have seen of them I would take Kovalchuk, Zherdev and Ovechkin.

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
Wisent said:
Can't say who will be better but from what I have seen of them I would take Kovalchuk, Zherdev and Ovechkin.

Whereas I would say the very opposite.

That's opinions for you...

I'd take Ovy over Kovalchuk strictly because I prefer his game, and his attitude. I make no predictions on who will outscore who, but if I cheered for hockey teams, I'd rather have Ovechkin in the line-up than Kovalchuk. Lucky for me I don't cheer for teams, so I will view both equally.

Regarding Zherdev/Nash or Ovechkin/Semin... I'd say Semin-Zherdev is a wash, as they have both displayed some sick skill at the NHL level... and once again, I'll take Ovechkin over Nash... and once again because I prefer his style of play.

None of us can predict how any of these talented youngsters will mature, so I'd rather focus on who I enjoy watching the most...

P.S. I'd take Malkin over any of them...

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
Smart Alek said:
Whereas I would say the very opposite.

That's opinions for you...

I'd take Ovy over Kovalchuk strictly because I prefer his game, and his attitude. I make no predictions on who will outscore who, but if I cheered for hockey teams, I'd rather have Ovechkin in the line-up than Kovalchuk. Lucky for me I don't cheer for teams, so I will view both equally.

Regarding Zherdev/Nash or Ovechkin/Semin... I'd say Semin-Zherdev is a wash, as they have both displayed some sick skill at the NHL level... and once again, I'll take Ovechkin over Nash... and once again because I prefer his style of play.

None of us can predict how any of these talented youngsters will mature, so I'd rather focus on who I enjoy watching the most...

P.S. I'd take Malkin over any of them...

Regarding Malkin: actually me too.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
It's hard to choose between a player who considers himself a superstar even before playing a single game in the NHL and another guy who is too selfish with the puck and who thinks he's the only player who can score.

I'd take Frolov over any of them.

bruins4777*

wilka91 said:
It's hard to choose between a player who considers himself a superstar even before playing a single game in the NHL and another guy who is too selfish with the puck and who thinks he's the only player who can score.

I'd take Frolov over any of them.

Yet you have an ovechkin avatar?

MassiveHabs

Jan 10, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
I couldn't take ovechin, i can't stand a player who bails on his team...no matter what the circumstances...(especially if he is the captain)

Hobey Baker

May 27, 2004
Charlestown
sabresprospects.com
OK...I know I'm toying with the possibility of a flame session ensuing after this question, especially since they play different positions, but is it too far off to compare Ovechkin to a guy like Forsberg?

Keep in mind that Forsberg is my favorite player of the past 10-15 years, thus the query.

Hughes J Laffy

A-Laf #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
KB said:
OK...I know I'm toying with the possibility of a flame session ensuing after this question, especially since they play different positions, but is it too far off to compare Ovechkin to a guy like Forsberg?

Keep in mind that Forsberg is my favorite player of the past 10-15 years, thus the query.

Yes you can. That is what everybody think, Ovechkin is a complete player like Forsberg. But Ovechkin got more speed and shot the puck more.

But Kovalchuk is a Pavel Bure with size, intensity and play a a more nasty game than Bure. So Kovalchuk all the way... his 41+46 for 87 points last season also help my decision :)

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
bruins4777 said:
Yet you have an ovechkin avatar?
I said it a hundred times : I'm not an Ovechkin fan! I just like his visor, that's why I've decided to use this avatar.

But of course, as long as he plays well I don't really care what he thinks of himself.

Vladiator

Jan 2, 2005
New Zealand
MassiveHabs said:
I couldn't take ovechin, i can't stand a player who bails on his team...no matter what the circumstances...(especially if he is the captain)

The guy still hasn't played a game since his injury, dude... Some people just keep living in their caves...

UltimoRoger

Nov 2, 2004
MassiveHabs said:

Are you referring to the WJC? Because I remember him 'trying' to play with his bummed shoulder. As well, I don't consider someone who cries after his team loses an act of "bailing" on them. To me, it looks more like he feels guilty that his team lost, pretty much the way a good captain should feel.

If you're not referring to the WJC, please explain, because I am curious.

deathbear

Jul 8, 2003
Manitoba
Visit site
Roberto Luongo said:
Yes you can. That is what everybody think, Ovechkin is a complete player like Forsberg. But Ovechkin got more speed and shot the puck more.

But Kovalchuk is a Pavel Bure with size, intensity and play a a more nasty game than Bure. So Kovalchuk all the way... his 41+46 for 87 points last season also help my decision :)

kovalchuk is nowhere near where pavel bure was. not even maybe.

Safir*

Can't Ovechkin's physical play get him easier into injury trouble?

bruins4777*

deathbear said:
kovalchuk is nowhere near where pavel bure was. not even maybe.

Nevermind the different eras and the fact that its just a comparison for playing style.

Can't Ovechkin's physical play get him easier into injury trouble?

ovechkin isn't much more physical than kovalchuk

AgentNaslund*

Kovalchuk at draft date 6'2 220 pounds
Ovehckin at draft date 6'2 205 Pounds, plus a year older then kovalchuk when being drafted.

Kovalchuk, natural born talent.

Kovalchuk over Ovechkin. Ovechkin was so cocky, I wouldnt want that guy on my team. Everyone would hunt for his knee. What happend to Ovehckin at the gold meddle game? Everyone was hitting him including crosby finally his weak shoulders gave in.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Roberto Luongo said:

Ask Shane Churla if Bure is nasty... :)

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
AgentNaslund said:
Kovalchuk over Ovechkin. Ovechkin was so cocky, I wouldnt want that guy on my team. Everyone would hunt for his knee.

That's what everybody used to say about Kovalchuk.

They also said there was that new kid who was much better and had a much better attitude coming.

Taxman

Dec 9, 2003
Visit site
Actually, Kovalchuk has more goals compared to the league average by his age than Bure did. In fact, Kovalchuk is 2nd best all time in the NHL for points scored by his age at the end of last season when comparing goals scored to avg goals scored in the league at the time.

I will try to dig up the exact stat.

Taxman

Dec 9, 2003
Visit site
ALL TIME NHL GOAL LEADERS (Up to 21 year old)

Player Name --- GOALS
----------------------------------
1 - Gretzky Wayne -- 198
2 - Carson Jimmy -- 141
3 - Hawerchuk Dale -- 122
4 - Turgeon Sylvain -- 116
5 - Kovalchuk Ilya -- 106 (39)
6 - Bellows Brian -- 102

7 - Jagr Jaromir -- 93
7 - Simpson Craig -- 93
9 - Carpenter Bobby -- 92
10 - Lemieux Mario -- 91
11 - Turgeon Pierre -- 88
12 - Messier Mark -- 85
12 - Lindros Eric -- 85
14 - Linden Trevor -- 84
14 - Larouche Pierre -- 84
16 - Yzerman Steve -- 83
17 - Nolan Owen -- 81
18 -Francis Ron -- 79
19 - Gaborik Marian -- 78
20 - Roenick Jeremy -- 76
21 - Brown Rob -- 73
22 - Clark Wendel -- 71
23 - Hull Bobby -- 70

If to use "Adjusted Goals" (see "Total Hockey")

Player Name -- GAMES -- Adj. Goals
----------------------------------------------
1 - Gretzky Wayne -- 239 -- 159
2 - Kovalchuk Ilya -- 225 (79) -- 123 (~44)
3 - Carson Jimmy -- 240 -- 121
4 - Jackson Busher -- 122 -- 100

5 - Hawerchuk Dale -- 239 -- 99
6 - Turgeon Sylvain -- 216 -- 94
7 - Gaborik Marian -- 230 -- 90
8 - Hull Bobby -- 210 -- 85
9 - Bellows Brian -- 234 -- 83
9 - Jagr Jaromir -- 231 -- 83
11 - Simpson Craig -- 228 -- 79
12 - Lindros Eric -- 126 -- 75
12 - Turgeon Pierre -- 236 -- 75
12 - Carpenter Bobby -- 240 -- 75
15 - Lemieux Mario -- 152 -- 74
15 - Linden Trevor -- 233 -- 74
17 - Larouche Pierre -- 155 -- 73
18 - Friesen Jeff -- 209 -- 71
18 - Nolan Owen -- 207 -- 71

That is a repost from a message on the Thrashers forum a year ago. Adjusted goals accounts for different levels of scoring from season to season and era to era.

As you can see, only Gretsky had scored as many adjusted goals as Ilya by the time he was 21, in all of NHL history. Kovalchuk is ahead of Bure up to this point in their careers, and the difference would have been even more pronounced had the NHL played this season. Stupid NHL. :shakehead

I really doubt Ovechkin is going to be the scoring machine that Kovalchuk is. Would Ovechkin been able to be 2nd on that list, ahead of Kovalchuk? I seriously don't think so. I doubt he would have come close. It is really too bad we couldn't watch what Ovechkin could have done had there been a season this year.

As you can see by that list, Kovalchuk's accomplishments up to this point his career are being very underrated. It is phenomenal what he has done by the age of 21.

Last edited:

Vladiator

Jan 2, 2005
New Zealand
Taxman said:
ALL TIME NHL GOAL LEADERS (Up to 21 year old)

Player Name --- GOALS
----------------------------------
1 - Gretzky Wayne -- 198
2 - Carson Jimmy -- 141
3 - Hawerchuk Dale -- 122
4 - Turgeon Sylvain -- 116
5 - Kovalchuk Ilya -- 106 (39)
6 - Bellows Brian -- 102

7 - Jagr Jaromir -- 93
7 - Simpson Craig -- 93
9 - Carpenter Bobby -- 92
10 - Lemieux Mario -- 91
11 - Turgeon Pierre -- 88
12 - Messier Mark -- 85
12 - Lindros Eric -- 85
14 - Linden Trevor -- 84
14 - Larouche Pierre -- 84
16 - Yzerman Steve -- 83
17 - Nolan Owen -- 81
18 -Francis Ron -- 79
19 - Gaborik Marian -- 78
20 - Roenick Jeremy -- 76
21 - Brown Rob -- 73
22 - Clark Wendel -- 71
23 - Hull Bobby -- 70

If to use "Adjusted Goals" (see "Total Hockey")

Player Name -- GAMES -- Adj. Goals
----------------------------------------------
1 - Gretzky Wayne -- 239 -- 159
2 - Kovalchuk Ilya -- 225 (79) -- 123 (~44)
3 - Carson Jimmy -- 240 -- 121
4 - Jackson Busher -- 122 -- 100

5 - Hawerchuk Dale -- 239 -- 99
6 - Turgeon Sylvain -- 216 -- 94
7 - Gaborik Marian -- 230 -- 90
8 - Hull Bobby -- 210 -- 85
9 - Bellows Brian -- 234 -- 83
9 - Jagr Jaromir -- 231 -- 83
11 - Simpson Craig -- 228 -- 79
12 - Lindros Eric -- 126 -- 75
12 - Turgeon Pierre -- 236 -- 75
12 - Carpenter Bobby -- 240 -- 75
15 - Lemieux Mario -- 152 -- 74
15 - Linden Trevor -- 233 -- 74
17 - Larouche Pierre -- 155 -- 73
18 - Friesen Jeff -- 209 -- 71
18 - Nolan Owen -- 207 -- 71

That is a repost from a message on the Thrashers forum a year ago. Adjusted goals accounts for different levels of scoring from season to season and era to era.

As you can see, only Gretsky had scored as many adjusted goals as Ilya by the time he was 21, in all of NHL history. Kovalchuk is ahead of Bure up to this point in their careers, and the difference would have been even more pronounced had the NHL played this season. Stupid NHL. :shakehead

I really doubt Ovechkin is going to be the scoring machine that Kovalchuk is. Would Ovechkin been able to be 2nd on that list, ahead of Kovalchuk? I seriously don't think so. I doubt he would have come close. It is really too bad we couldn't watch what Ovechkin could have done had there been a season this year.

As you can see by that list, Kovalchuk's accomplishments up to this point his career are being very underrated. It is phenomenal what he has done by the age of 21.

What age did Bure join the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->