How does 2019 TB rank with other notable first round flop teams with monster records?

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
1993/2017 Chicago had the best record in their conference, but also got swept (0-4 by STL and NSH, respectively).

1971 Bruins, 1990 Flames, 1986 Flyers, 1994 Red Wings, 2006 Red Wings, 1991 Blackhawks, 2012 Canucks, 2003 Red Wings.

TB is in their company. How does this compare and contrast with these other teams that had similar flameouts in the FIRST ROUND (albeit not sweeps)

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
2012 Canucks, Presidents Trophy winners, lost in first round in only 5 games to a LA team who BEARLY made the playoffs

Reactions: Danythegod

someguy44

Apr 6, 2004
Space Jail
2012 Canucks, Presidents Trophy winners, lost in first round in only 5 games to a LA team who BEARLY made the playoffs

That Canucks team was pretty good though and definitely better than this Tampa team. The Kings not only steamrolled through every team in the playoffs that year (minus New Jersey) to their eventual Cup win, they also won another cup 2 years later. That Canucks team would be a very bad example to use in this case unless CBJ steam rolls every team in the remainder of the year's playoffs... Even then, that Canucks team didn't get swept.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
The worst choke in sports history.
That seems like an overreaction. Shocking choke to be sure, but not the worst in sports history. Just in recent years I can think of UMBC and 28-3. I can come up with a ton more than that. Northern Iowa was up 12 on Texas A&M with 35 seconds to go in the tournament a couple years ago, AC Milan had one of the most famous choke jobs ever against Liverpool in the Champions League final, etc.

Reactions: Hoek and gtrower

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
This was probably the most disappointing performance from a #1 seed (a historically good regular season team especially) in sports history. Imagine the Golden State Warriors in 2016 getting swept in the 1st round and getting dominated every game. It's mind boggling how Tampa collapsed so badly. This is going to be a bad stain on their team for a while.

Reactions: Szechwan

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
CBJ is a sleeper strong team and always has been but Tampa definitely underwhelmed...at least when the Caps went out, they just ran into a goalie standing on his head. This was a bit different, CBJ outplayed them severely...

I don't like comparisons though because it should be clear to anyone, the NHL is very much, a league of parity right now.

Reactions: Szechwan

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Worst choke in modern era at least. They just played terrible, didn’t deserve to win a single game. Different than some other great regular season teams that lost due to insane goaltending while dominating play.

Sakujo

Mar 15, 2015
Melbourne
I really don't think it's a "choke" per se. I think collapse would be more accurate

Leafs game 7 vs Bruins 2013
Bruins game 7 vs Flyers 2010

Those are chokes

Reactions: gtrower

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
I really don't think it's a "choke" per se. I think collapse would be more accurate

Leafs game 7 vs Bruins 2013
Bruins game 7 vs Flyers 2010

Those are chokes
Nah, this was a long and drawn out choke. Beautiful to watch such a powerful team breathe their last breaths as Columbus slowly lowered their boot on to the Lightning's neck.

I knew the Lightning were frauds though. Heartless bunch.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Game 1 comeback to make it 4-3

Game 2: 3-1
Game 3: 5-1
Game 4: 7-3

I’ve never seen a team do as bad as what the Lightning just did... especially in game 3 and 4.

Reactions: DaveG

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Nah, this was a long and drawn out choke. Beautiful to watch such a powerful team breathe their last breaths as Columbus slowly lowered their boot on to the Lightning's neck.

I knew the Lightning were frauds though. Heartless bunch.

So I guess CBJ magically added an artificial heart at the trade deadline

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I can’t call it a choke when CBJ sold the farm at the deadline. You can chalk up thier end of season woes to them getting acclimated to each other. On paper they are probably one of the best 8th seeds ever. How could the Lightning even scout them? (It’s as if they purposely played like crap at the end of the year) They are completely different tream and a bunch of players went off this series. CBJ now has one of the easiest routes to the cup. They are going to get to play the team who lives through Bruins/Leafs knife fight.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I can’t call it a choke when CBJ sold the farm at the deadline. You can chalk up thier end of season woes to them getting acclimated to each other. On paper they are probably one of the best 8th seeds ever. How could the Lightning even scout them? (It’s as if they purposely played like crap at the end of the year) They are completely different tream and a bunch of players went off this series. CBJ now has one of the easiest routes to the cup. They are going to get to play the team who lives through Bruins/Leafs knife fight.
Yup. Panarin/Duchene/Dubois/Dzingel/Anderson & then they got some depth scoring from Jenner/Bjorkstrand/Foligno. Thats way more than the 2012 Kings ever had.

On D they have Seth Jones/Werenski/Murray/Savard/Nutivaara/Harrington thats a very strong group of 6 Dmen. If Jones had played 82 games he'd have over 50+ points.
In net they have a 2 time Vezina winner who has returned to form in the playoffs.

Reactions: generalshepherd141

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad