How do you value Joffrey Lupul going forward?

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
For someone that has guitar as his #1 things he can't live without, he really sucks at guitar. Like you'd think he'd be better with all the injury time he's had. :sarcasm: Also with the amount of money he makes, he could buy a beautiful Taylor acoustic or something and not have a crappy-ass Yamaha.

Totally strikes me as that dude that got the guitar to pick up girls. "YO, YOU GUYS WANNA HEAR ME PLAY WONDERWALL?"

---

Anyway. Lupul's been good this year, upping his trade value which is important.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
For someone that has guitar as his #1 things he can't live without, he really sucks at guitar. Like you'd think he'd be better with all the injury time he's had. :sarcasm: Also with the amount of money he makes, he could buy a beautiful Taylor acoustic or something and not have a crappy-ass Yamaha.

Totally strikes me as that dude that got the guitar to pick up girls. "YO, YOU GUYS WANNA HEAR ME PLAY WONDERWALL?"

---

Probably being a good-looking, ripped, multi-millionaire professional athlete doesn't hurt either. :laugh:

But seriously, unless they can get a 2nd for him there is no reason to trade him. He shows heart and I like him on the team

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011

---

Sometimes the first guitar you get is precious to you and you are in no rush to replace it as you can get attached to it.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Now players are judged on guitars. This place continually delivers. :laugh:

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Sometimes the first guitar you get is precious to you and you are in no rush to replace it as you can get attached to it.

Don't have to tell me that. I still have my mini-acoustic I got when I was 7 years old. But he said specifically he jams out on his Yamaha which is insanity to me when his fingers would feel so much nicer on a better guitar. :laugh:

Pokecheck Prayer

Jan 21, 2015
Don't have to tell me that. I still have my mini-acoustic I got when I was 7 years old. But he said specifically he jams out on his Yamaha which is insanity to me when his fingers would feel so much nicer on a better guitar. :laugh:

It's just a fluff piece. Yamaha, beats, watch brand, gotstyle etc...

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
I don't get why Lupul's interest in fashion is such an issue for everyone. Would people prefer if he was really into gaming instead and attended Comic-Con?

Are we assuming him chasing women is also something only he does?

I don't think he's disliked for being interested in fashion so much as he's disliked for being good looking.

Good looking -> must be vain -> must be selfish -> bad at team sports

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
In his prime and when uninjured, Lupul was the epitome of what you wanted in a Toronto Maple Leaf: slick with the puck, great shot, chippy, would drop the gloves to defend a teammate. He wore his heart on his sleeve. His prime was obviously 2011-2013, maybe 2014.

That prime is now over, but he can still be a useful player.

Could we get a good asset back for him? If so, then we should -- it's not like he's going to be on the team when the Leafs are good again. But there's also benefit to having some of our younger centres develop with good wingers.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I don't think he's disliked for being interested in fashion so much as he's disliked for being good looking.

That is interesting... so your saying babcock must think the same/correct?

Also, you might want to read posts before you jump in with your opinion.

I spoke only about Lupul's selfish play and asked people opinions. A poster responded that he'd be a great role-model for our youth.

Babcock has said that he wants professionals on and off the ice. He wants them to eat like professionals, train like professionals, play like professionals and live like professionals.

Do you think it's a coincidence that the only player to lose their letter this season is Lupul?

Or let me guess, you think that Babs stripped him of his letter because Lupul is good-looking?

BTW - I take Lundqvist on my team any day of the week, and he is probably Lupul's equal in fashion.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
That is interesting... so your saying babcock must think the same/correct?

Also, you might want to read posts before you jump in with your opinion.

I spoke only about Lupul's selfish play and asked people opinions. A poster responded that he'd be a great role-model for our youth.

Babcock has said that he wants professionals on and off the ice. He wants them to eat like professionals, train like professionals, play like professionals and live like professionals.

Do you think it's a coincidence that the only player to lose their letter this season is Lupul?

Or let me guess, you think that Babs stripped him of his letter because Lupul is good-looking?

BTW - I take Lundqvist on my team any day of the week, and he is probably Lupul's equal in fashion.

New coach wants new leadership/culture change so he needs to change the letters. Can't strip Phaneuf of the C in the media ****show that is Toronto. Lupul is a victim of circumstance. Not being an assistant captain doesn't mean he's not a team player.

Lupul's always been a finisher. That's not selfish play, that' just his role. Ovechkin isn't selfish, he's just the best player on the ice at getting the puck into the net.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
New coach wants new leadership/culture change so he needs to change the letters. Can't strip Phaneuf of the C in the media ****show that is Toronto. Lupul is a victim of circumstance. Not being an assistant captain doesn't mean he's not a team player.

Lupul's always been a finisher. That's not selfish play, that' just his role. Ovechkin isn't selfish, he's just the best player on the ice at getting the puck into the net.

Your comparing lupul to ovechkin?

And you think Babcock, one of the best coaches in hockey, stripped lupul of his letter just to prove a point?

Very insightful stuff.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto

Ronaldo says hi. Though he is likely all those things except for the bad at team sports bit. :laugh:

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto

---

Buddy, your avy is a WWF fighter. Come on.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Your comparing lupul to ovechkin?

And you think Babcock, one of the best coaches in hockey, stripped lupul of his letter just to prove a point?

Very insightful stuff.

I'm comparing Lupul to Ovechkin in their role of finisher. Comparisons can exist between players who perform at different levels. Both players have shooting the puck in their role.

I think Babcock stripped Lupul of his letter because he wanted new leadership, not necessarily because he thought the old leadership was bad.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Glass man not broken yet this season.
Amazing !
Is he turning a new Leaf ?

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Keep him. Vet presence on the team and a finisher. He'll be saddled with Marner or Nylander next year. Obviously if you get a ridiculous offer for him than you move him but you do need veteran players to insulate the rookies.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
I watch wrestling so that must disqualify me from saying Lupul's not good at guitar.

:laugh:

Apparently.

PS LV, it hasn't been WWF in 13 years...

Anyway, on topic, I'm hoping the Leafs fan move him at the deadline or during the off season. He's been surprisingly solid this year and (knock on wood) no injuries yet. That'll certainly help his value. Leafs may actually be able to get a half decent return for him if he keeps it up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad