How do you value Joffrey Lupul going forward?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If Lupul can stay healthy I can see him replacing the Kessel offense of last season of 25 goals and 55-60 points. I can see Babcock utilizing him as a key offensive weapon getting PP time.

I still think Leafs would like to move him out as part of the rebuild but his contract is pretty prohibitive to trade based on his past season so rehabilitating him first will be the goal.

Lupul and Kadri as a duo might provide good offense this year.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
What do you mean by "problem"? MLSE has the cash to pay the front-load and the Leafs have cap space to cover it.

It would be a problem to move him before this season as other teams aren't in the same financial position of the Leafs, unless you're saying he has a signing bonus the Leafs can pay before moving him. At the deadline most of this year will be paid, and it would make it easier for other teams to pick him up.

Years 2 and 3 are not so bad.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
It would be a problem to move him before this season as other teams aren't in the same financial position of the Leafs, unless you're saying he has a signing bonus the Leafs can pay before moving him. At the deadline most of this year will be paid, and it would make it easier for other teams to pick him up.

You didn't mention trade anywhere in your post

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Reality time...

Lupul gave a 100 percent and came back from a potential career ending injury. For almost 2 seasons he gave his all and got his contract. But he is 32 and those war wounds do set in and everyone thinks Babcock can make him 27 and hungry, yet alone injury free. Lupul is the last of the Nonnis era, Clarkson type deals. He wont replace Kessel or play 40 games.`

Let us not overhype a bad team, you know where that has got us....

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Get rid of him if possible. Just have to hope that he can stay healthy while putting up good enough numbers to tempt some GM to take him off our hands at the deadline or something.

MSG*

Lupul would have been traded by now if there was a bidder. What team is going to fork out almost 7M to have him on the books next season? That's real money vs cap hit. The bean counters don't care about cap hits. They care about dollars.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

It is my understanding that a team can retain 2 salaries per year under the CBA and therefore maschinations of Lupul and/or Phaneuf money being retained this year are misguided as the Leafs have already maxed on that.

There should be a side thread on how many/much retained salaries Leaf Nation are willing to give management.

As it stands the Leafs will be at a cap disadvantage for many many years which sucks for a team that can spend to the cap. Imagine the horror if Horton wants to play again haha

Last edited by a moderator:

MSG*

Lupul gave a 100 percent and came back from a potential career ending injury. For almost 2 seasons he gave his all and got his contract. But he is 32 and those war wounds do set in and everyone thinks Babcock can make him 27 and hungry, yet alone injury free. Lupul is the last of the Nonnis era, Clarkson type deals. He wont replace Kessel or play 40 games.`

Let us not overhype a bad team, you know where that has got us....

Nice post.

Lupul is on the wrong side of age, wrong side of games played and wrong side of real money, 6.75M. That salary is rather incredible. He's an immoveable object.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
u guys gotta understand this, lupul's value is low right now, really low...it doesnt even make sense to move him now

but lupul has value, 32 is a fine age, hes also a leader...can still move and has always plays hard, has a very good shot, the passing, stick handling and overall game is still all good

his value can easily go up, and we're not even asking for a lot in return...in fact lupul can easily have a solid 50ish point season...around deadlines, next summer, next season...lupul can be moved

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Nice post.

Lupul is on the wrong side of age, wrong side of games played and wrong side of real money, 6.75M. That salary is rather incredible. He's an immoveable object.

If he's healthy this year, his contract is only a problem this year as an asset valuation. That is 60 point compensation.

His next 2 seasons would be in line with a player of his ability.

At the deadline his contract for this year is close to meaningless as the Leafs will have covered most of it.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Lupul only had a $2 mil signing bonus in the 1st X 2 years and none in the last 3 years.

http://www.generalfanager.com/players/37

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Almost everyone here has the same opinion, he has to stay healthy to be an effective player but if he does he will certainly be a top 6 forward and likely on the first line, JVR/Bozak/Lupul.

He is a good hard-working player and a good presence in the locker room, at one time, he may have become the Captain, unfortunately injuries and his large long-term contract have made him expendable and if the Leafs can find a trading partner he may be gone.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
He has value as a player, for sure...a top 6 forward who you take a chance on with regards to injuries. But the problem is his cap hit....it's an ugly number.

We'll be stuck with him unless a team gets desperate for scoring, or, he stays healthy and puts up good numbers before the trade deadline. Highly unlikely, but...Clarkson happened, so really anything's possible.

DJIncognito

Jun 9, 2007
Hoping he plays well this year and the following year. It would be good to trade him at next years trade deadline. At that point his cap hit will be $5.25 mil, his salary will be $5.25 in 2016-17 and 3.25 in 2017-18. If his injuries aren't a huge issue and he's producing like he has with the leafs he's be a decent tradable asset. Would rather ait until then instead of trying to force a trade now and getting nothing or negative value.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Almost everyone here has the same opinion, he has to stay healthy to be an effective player but if he does he will certainly be a top 6 forward and likely on the first line, JVR/Bozak/Lupul.

He is a good hard-working player and a good presence in the locker room, at one time, he may have become the Captain, unfortunately injuries and his large long-term contract have made him expendable and if the Leafs can find a trading partner he may be gone.

Um, yeah I don't know about that.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Joffrey Lupul

Am I the only one who thinks that Lupul cares more about the name on the back of his Jersey, more than the Logo on the front? (as Lou would say).

He rarely will cycle, or even pass the puck... he always tries to dangle, even though he's got average at best stick handling, worst of all he commonly tries to do so when he's got 3 sticks to go through. He always seem to be trying to get on the highlight real. Between the legs pass to himself, toe drags... etc. It would be a miracle to see him actually throw a body check.

He's no Malkin, or Datsyuk with the puck...

Thoughts on his play?

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
He's finally acting as a player who can score garbage goals which is useful.
I think he cares about winning today just as much as he did a few years ago when everyone loved him. Still overpaid obviously.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
He's re-establishing some value but given his age and injury history with two more years on that $5.25 cap hit I can't see him being moved until the last year where the Leafs could retain some salary at the deadline.

Still .. If he keeps this up he'll be a good leader for the team going forward when the kids come up

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
He's re-establishing some value but given his age and injury history with two more years on that $5.25 cap hit I can't see him being moved until the last year where the Leafs could retain some salary at the deadline.

Still .. If he keeps this up he'll be a good leader for the team going forward when the kids come up

Boyes
Lupul
Parenteau
van Riemsdyk

Anyone else on the Leafs ever hit 60 points? (Boyes 72)

Lupul dogged by injuries throughout his career. Had 28 goals as a 22 year old.

Maybe he'll have some luck and stay healthy for a couple of seasons.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

Good leader for the kids?

He's 32, single and lives in on a beachfront bachelor pad in California. He doesn't battle, coasts, and is a poor forechecker. Don't get me wrong I'd love to live his lifestyle...

BUT If I was building a sports team/especially a hockey team. I don't think I'd be making the guy whose modelling in magazines, attending fashion events, and living as a 32 year old bachelor in a beachfront home in California... a leader, heck I don't even know if I'd want him on my team.

Babs stripped of his letter... I think this is very telling of how much of a leader he thinks Lupul is.

GotStyle_Toronto-Life_January-2014.png

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I don't get why Lupul's interest in fashion is such an issue for everyone. Would people prefer if he was really into gaming instead and attended Comic-Con?

Are we assuming him chasing women is also something only he does?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I don't get why Lupul's interest in fashion is such an issue for everyone. Would people prefer if he was really into gaming instead and attended Comic-Con?

Considering Lou's position on dress and deportment, I can certainly see Lupul being used as a poster boy on how they'd like their players to dress.

Clean shaven, dressed professionally.

StevieBlunder

Jun 17, 2015
I like Lupul. He's been a good piece in this organization for awhile. He has previously been too high on the depth chart. And is playing much better in the role Babcock has him.

Ultimately I think they'll trade him if the opportunity arises, but there are worse guys to be handcuffed to if his contract is a big deal when it comes to trading him.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

It's nothing personal... like I said, he's living the dream. BUT I wouldn't build a hockey team with single models, who can't wait to go shopping for a peacoat and flowers.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Lupul is Lupul, hope he plays well and ads to the success of the team while he is here. He's been pretty good this year. Maybe someone will take interest or maybe not. I don't particularly care if he doesn't want to settle down or anything like that and what difference does it make?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad