How do you value Joffrey Lupul going forward?

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
The problem with Lupes is that he's gotta play physical to be productive, if he plays physical he gets injured. If he plays it safe he's close to useless.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
When he's on for the 10 or so games per season he is on, he's dynamite. The rest of time he ranges from invisible to a liability. With 3 years remaining on his deal, I'd readily retain salary to move him for an asset in return.

When Shanahan was speaking at the end of the season, we all now know he was at least speaking about Kessel but it also appeared that he was speaking about Lupul (and probably Phaneuf). Maybe he can stay for awhile but it'll start with worrying more about his hockey career than irrelevant external things.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
if he starts season off healthy, im hoping he can get a good 2nd at some point during the year...i like lupul as a player and leader, he just doesnt match the team age wise

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
He is finished.

Brutally over rated, based on one season many lifetimes ago. Taking up space in the lineup and on the payroll. You won't get a 7th rounder for him and he can't score 15 goals, yet makes over $5M for 3 more years. Washed up and should retire right now before he embarrasses himself. Will be on the Marlies next year.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
He'll likely finish his career in Toronto. Too injured to get full value, and he's a decent mentor and connection to the last era for the new team.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
if he starts season off healthy, im hoping he can get a good 2nd at some point during the year...i like lupul as a player and leader, he just doesnt match the team age wise

He will have to have a really good, fast start to fetch a 2nd I'd guess. His injury history and salary make him unattractive for a lot of teams. I'd say most GMs would be worried about absorbing his high salary within their cap structure, and would much prefer keeping their 2nd rounder.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
a healthy lupul can and will still produce, hes only 32...3 years at 5mill isn't good at all but not gawd awful for a potential 2nd liner, he needs to be near 55-65ish point player, which is totally doable

his value is low now, with a bit of luck he can be moved, and can get value back imo...2nd or 3rd is good enough...add in a another player thats having a good year like the franson+santorelli trade, can get a decent pick

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
a healthy lupul can and will still produce, hes only 32...3 years at 5mill isn't good at all but not gawd awful for a potential 2nd liner, he needs to be near 55-65ish point player, which is totally doable

with a bit of luck he can be moved, and can get value back imo...2nd or 3rd is good enough...add in a another player thats having a good year like the franson+santorelli trade, can get a decent pick

I think his days of 60 point seasons are done. We will be lucky to get anything for him at the deadline and clear another Clarkson sized contract off the books.

I always liked what Lupul can bring to the lineup but he is just inconsistent and plagued by the injury bug. Even if he plays great no team trusts his health enough to give up a good asset for him. Hope I'm wrong.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

his value is low now, with a bit of luck he can be moved, and can get value back imo...2nd or 3rd is good enough...add in a another player thats having a good year like the franson+santorelli trade, can get a decent pick

55-65 points is 1st line territory, but with his defensive deficiencies we probably should put that kind of demands on his offense.

As I said earlier, I totally see a possibility of Lupul buying in and becoming a leader-type on the ice for this team. If he doesn't though, I think he'll be one of the first casualties of the culture change.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
If he stays healthy, he can pot 15-20 goals in a top 6 minute situation. If that happens he will have lots of interest at trade deadline.

I like his determination, but agree, he just can't seem to stay healthy.

If he can't stay healthy he will get 5-12 goals and we will be stuck with him another year. His cap hit isn't a huge problem right now, so it's just a roster space being taken, again not a big problem in another strong draft year.

Ideally, he gets off to a great start, you find a buyer for him before Christmas and before he gets injured. Get some decent prospect or picks for him if he is playing well. He just isn't part of the future.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
He will have to have a really good, fast start to fetch a 2nd I'd guess. His injury history and salary make him unattractive for a lot of teams. I'd say most GMs would be worried about absorbing his high salary within their cap structure, and would much prefer keeping their 2nd rounder.

I think his days of 60 point seasons are done. We will be lucky to get anything for him at the deadline and clear another Clarkson sized contract off the books.

I always liked what Lupul can bring to the lineup but he is just inconsistent and plagued by the injury bug. Even if he plays great no team trusts his health enough to give up a good asset for him. Hope I'm wrong.

55-65 points is 1st line territory, but with his defensive deficiencies we probably should put that kind of demands on his offense.

As I said earlier, I totally see a possibility of Lupul buying in and becoming a leader-type on the ice for this team. If he doesn't though, I think he'll be one of the first casualties of the culture change.

Its difficult to assign trade value for me, but right now I'd say he's in 5th - 7th territory. If he gets off to a really strong start and stays healthy, I can see that elevating to maybe 3rd/4th. A 2nd/3rd return would be surprisingly wonderful and I'd be elated about that. We can hope.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Its difficult to assign trade value for me, but right now I'd say he's in 5th - 7th territory. If he gets off to a really strong start and stays healthy, I can see that elevating to maybe 3rd/4th. A 2nd/3rd return would be surprisingly wonderful and I'd be elated about that. We can hope.

Yeah we'll be keeping him. He probably has more value, but teams will probably wait for him to get hot before considering him. When he plays, he's good. The first half of the season (when he didn't play with AHLers and Holland), he had like a 0.7 PPG pace. Put him with JVR and Kadri and teams will see how good he is, barring Boston doesn't get to him first.

Obviously management wants to ice a decent team, and beyond Parenteau, we have nobody whose top 6, nevermind top line (and Parenteau would be pushing it). Lupul is top line caliber when he's healthy, so let's put him there and let him prove it.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Lupul had 67 points in 66 games only 2 seasons ago. It all depends how well he trained and looked after himself this summer. 31 is not that old.

I don't think he and Kadri have as good chemistry as he has with Bozak.

He played one preseason game with Leivo and Bozak last year, the line had 7 points. I think having a right handed center and him playing left wing will benefit him. He also needs the puck to make plays. Bozak feeds players, he does not overhandle the puck. I see a much better year for Lupul. Babcock will put him where he is best used.

But who was Phil Kessel? Bozak had like 45 points that year lmfao he didn't do jack **** to help Lupul's production, that was all Kessel just like he did with everyone else he played with.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
he holds absolutely 0 value right now

as a matter of fact I would argue he holds negative value, seeing how they would have to retain a solid chunk of his 3 years remaining to be even remotely viable on the trade market.

his injury history might be the biggest red flag in the entire league and there is 3 years left on this albatross contract

there is a reason why GQ jofy was traded 4 times in his first 7 nhl seasons

we will just have to wait this one out and pray he is healthy come his last TD as a leaf,.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Brutally over rated, based on one season many lifetimes ago. Taking up space in the lineup and on the payroll. You won't get a 7th rounder for him and he can't score 15 goals, yet makes over $5M for 3 more years. Washed up and should retire right now before he embarrasses himself. Will be on the Marlies next year.

Seriously though, he could fetch more than a 7th, especially from a cap floor team. He is far from the worst player on this roster.

tml19

Nov 30, 2013
Mississauga, Ontario

:laugh: The guy is a injury prone top 6 winger on a bad contract, NOT terrible. If he manages to put up some solid numbers a bubble team might pick him up in a deal along the lines of

2nd
Cap dump on 1 or 2 year deal
for
Lupul

Gives that team a clutch player who can put up points and be a good mentor. 5.25 is really not even close to as bad as people think.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
it is interesting how Lupul's star kind of diminished. like Kessel had the whole trade thing attached to him, and Dion was kinda meh potatoes but even looking at videos and reports even two-three years ago, a looot of people were thinking that Dion would go away, and people just assumed Lupul would be named captain.

talk about a fall from grace for him.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Seriously though, he could fetch more than a 7th, especially from a cap floor team. He is far from the worst player on this roster.

He's owed $6.75Mil this year, no cap floor team wants to deal with that. Next year's a different story.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Has always been an in demand player, there's a reason he's been included in as many trades as he has.

I imagine until he shows he can remain healthy for any extended time, he won't be going anywhere. He doesn't play enough to justify his salary.

LyGuy

Aug 21, 2013
He still has first line skill and can be an impact player, is 6' tall and can score. I'd say he has value to Leafs AND as trade bait.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
This year his contract is a problem.

Babcock might like him, he utilized veterans in Detroit.

Babcock rescued Bertuzzi, who spent his last several years (ironically) with back problems.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
This year his contract is a problem.

Babcock might like him, he utilized veterans in Detroit.

Babcock rescued Bertuzzi, who spent his last several years (ironically) with back problems.
What do you mean by "problem"? MLSE has the cash to pay the front-load and the Leafs have cap space to cover it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad