How do you think Ovechkin feels?

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
Ovechkin talked a real big game saying he was going to be in the Olympics regardless of NHL participation....heck his owner an GM even gave him permission. Then, the blowhard backed out because he didn't want to void his contract. I guess country pride really means nothing to him, but money means everything. He bent the knee to the NHL, surprise surprise, classic Ovechkin

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Waited his whole life to get to the chance to win gold for his country. Even said he would leave his NHL team and take any punishment. Was denied and now his country is practically assured the gold but he isn't on the team!

His country might win Gold, but if he was there, how excited would you really be winning Gold against lower than AHL level talent in some cases. This is a talent diluted tournament, they should have just gone with amateur only players, like other sports, if they didn't have pro NHL talent coming.

Reactions: Cityswiper

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
How was he denied exactly? I was thinking about this just the other day. He said he'd leave if he had to, I remember the Caps GM saying he could go. What happened?

I don't know for sure, but I think legally he may not have been allowed to go, based on his NHL contract and other things.

Reactions: Cityswiper

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I don't know for sure, but I think legally he may not have been allowed to go, based on his NHL contract and other things.

Hence he chose money over country pride. He could have easily retired from the nhl so he could play in it. But nope all that talk of nobody is going to stop him was all talk. Because money stopped him.

He knew even in his country and home town he could not make the equilvelent of his nhl contract.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Damn. I really wanted him to go even if other NHLers didn’t. I really love him as a player despite him being the face of a semi rival team to the one I follow. Would be nice for him to break the rules a little to represent his country and he’d definitely be huge for them winning

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I think he will be happy for his country.

Also why single out Ovechkin? Why not say "How do the Russian NHL players feel?", or "How do you think Malkin, Tarasenko, Kucherov, Ovechkin and Kuznetsov, etc. feel?"

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
I'm just disappointed that Ovechkin is now a greedy Russophobe since he chose not to void his contract to play in the Olympics. Thought the guy was better than that.

Lisa Needs Braces

Apr 7, 2004
You'll find in 2022 if the NHL announces that they won't participate that he potentially retires or takes a year off to play. Especially if he has his cup. His contract is done in 2021 and he'll be 36 by then. Also the Russia doping scheme will be sorted out one way or another by then one would hope.

And in fairness to the guy, Russia were technically banned from the Olympics so he's not even really playing for his country. And the quality of talent in hockey is heavily diluted this games. I wouldn't give up millions of dollars either to win a medal with an asterisk beside it.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
If he was there, that means Canada (and others) sent their best team, which means his chances for winning would be drastically reduced.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
His country might win Gold, but if he was there, how excited would you really be winning Gold against lower than AHL level talent in some cases. This is a talent diluted tournament, they should have just gone with amateur only players, like other sports, if they didn't have pro NHL talent coming.
In these days.. how many athletes are anymore amateurs? Not many..

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Guldet+%C3%A4r+klart!

Reactions: Xokkeu

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Ovechkin talked a real big game saying he was going to be in the Olympics regardless of NHL participation....heck his owner an GM even gave him permission. Then, the blowhard backed out because he didn't want to void his contract. I guess country pride really means nothing to him, but money means everything. He bent the knee to the NHL, surprise surprise, classic Ovechkin

Literally no one else was willing to take that risk. Why should we single out Ovechkin over this? His owner and GM's permission is worth nothing since the NHL would've kicked him out of the league. Everyone chose money over national pride, not just Ovechkin.

Saku11

Jan 25, 2010
All talk again. Not so tough when its time to actually do something.

RaginRonic

The Ragin' One. with the big shoulder chip.
Feb 23, 2018
Hamilton, Ontario
Who cares what Ovechkin thinks? The only thing he is in hockey is Sidney Crosby's personal slave.

I don't see why anyone wants to listen to his crap, especially when it's more fun to laugh at him as he goes to get Sid's beer at the corner store, like a good gofer.

=P

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
If I was him I wouldn't care. I'd rather wait 4 years when the real Olympic hockey might be back rather than "win" the gold in this joke.

Reactions: Johnny Tomala

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad