How do you think Ovechkin feels?

RaginRonic

The Ragin' One. with the big shoulder chip.
Feb 23, 2018
Hamilton, Ontario
If you saw my responses elsewhere in this forum, in other topics, more like extremely angry. Like 'I want to relocate hell to earth' kind of angry.

> = P

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
When did mr dont touch me i'm a crybaby aka crosby play at the world championship? Oh thats right, half a decade ago... and he never joins late.

Ovi? Shows up the day after the caps loses the 1st playoff round like tradition bids.
How old are you?

Reactions: JoVel

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
He feels irrationally angry at Gary Bettman because he doesn't know how negotiations and his own union work.
I am very rationally angry with Bettman who kills the sport I love for the most disgusting reason there is - money.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Would you consider an NHL team beating a bunch of AHL team as achieving something big?
Canada was huge favorite on paper last couple of Olympics compared to the other teams, were their victories something big?

P.S. There are some very poor NHL teams and very good AHL ones, so comparison is not quite relevant.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Canada was huge favorite on paper last couple of Olympics compared to the other teams, were their victories something big?

P.S. There are some very poor NHL teams and very good AHL ones, so comparison is not quite relevant.
2010 and 2014 were best-on-best tournaments while this was far from that. The level of this tournament was well below an average World Championship and that's pretty bad.

Canada was a huge favorite because they were better than other countries' best players. Russia was the favorite because the best players weren't playing. There's a difference there.

Reactions: Harry22

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
2010 and 2014 were best-on-best tournaments while this was far from that. The level of this tournament was well below an average World Championship and that's pretty bad.
Still, Canada was a mile ahead of other teams, according your logic that should depreciate value of the medal. Besides, this tournament wasn't a cake walk for this Russian team, they gave all they could and won, its big.

Johnny Tomala

Jan 24, 2017
He probably thinks about going at least to ECF with Caps this season and he probably congratulated by now some players he know on this Russian team. Secondly, he probably will go to IIHF WC when Cavs are bounced in the Playoffs, so he will have a chance to win gold in tournament when there will be more serious rosters by many teams (IIHF WC will have better rosters than this Olympics).

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Canada was a huge favorite because they were better than other countries' best players. Russia was the favorite because the best players weren't playing. There's a difference there.
Why it's important to search for a reason why country become favorite? I can say that canadian players were better than other countries' best players because they spend much more money on hockey. That's unfair too.
The fact is Russians were favorites and they won, Canadians were favorites and they won.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Still, Canada was a mile ahead of other teams, according your logic that should depreciate value of the medal. Besides, this tournament wasn't a cake walk for this Russian team, they gave all they could and won, its big.
I admit I phrased my comment badly. My point was that this should be a best-on-best tournament and because Russians have their own league that some choose over the NHL, their team was miles ahead of anyone else. If the NHL said that only Canadian NHL players were allowed to attend the Olympics, would you consider them winning it a big thing?

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
I admit I phrased my comment badly. My point was that this should be a best-on-best tournament and because Russians have their own league that some choose over the NHL, their team was miles ahead of anyone else. If the NHL said that only Canadian NHL players were allowed to attend the Olympics, would you consider them winning it a big thing?

Not quite. Canadian team of NHL stars would dominate current Olympics much more than Russian KHL players did. Anyhow, I'm pretty sure Russians would love to have best-on-best tournament, this year they would have much better roster who could give many troubles to Canadians. I think gap between teams were much smaller this tournament and everyone who played team game knows how difficult to stop a less talented team that started to believe they can win. Medal is deserved and worthy to celebrate.

Reactions: JoVel

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
He would not have been accepted to play by the IOC, so anyone thinking he went back on his word for money does not know what they are talking about.

Reactions: Trilliann

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
Ovechkin talked a real big game saying he was going to be in the Olympics regardless of NHL participation....heck his owner an GM even gave him permission. Then, the blowhard backed out because he didn't want to void his contract. I guess country pride really means nothing to him, but money means everything. He bent the knee to the NHL, surprise surprise, classic Ovechkin
To be fair, Russia was banned. Playing under OAR is quite a disgrace to a great nation like Russia

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Waited his whole life to get to the chance to win gold for his country. Even said he would leave his NHL team and take any punishment. Was denied and now his country is practically assured the gold but he isn't on the team!

well, considering every time he plays for Russia in major tournaments they always seem to find a way to lose, im sure he feels fine.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Would you consider an NHL team beating a bunch of AHL team as achieving something big?
AHLer's weren't allowed either so this tournament is even below that level.

if Russian think the KHL is on par with the NHL this is like an NHL team beating a team of ECHLers

Reactions: Riddum

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I'm sure he feels fine. He's probably thrilled to see Russia win it.

I'd bet he'd feel much differently if he had abandoned his team to go participate.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
AHLer's weren't allowed either so this tournament is even below that level.

if Russian think the KHL is on par with the NHL this is like an NHL team beating a team of ECHLers

Wrong, some AHLers were allowed too. Canada had guys like Chris Terry, Cody Goloubef, or Christian Thomas. The rest of the players were a mix of KHL, SHL and NLA. USA had Chris Bourque, Bobby Butler and Brian Gionta. That's a lot of guys that are KHL level or at least AHL level. A few players are even former NHLers.

Between the bigger nations like Canada, USA and OAR, this is basically a SHL level tournament.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Kinda like the World Cup?

NeverBeNormal

Mar 27, 2007
I am very rationally angry with Bettman who kills the sport I love for the most disgusting reason there is - money.

If you're rationally angry at Bettman then you need to educate yourself. There's nothing to gain for the NHL. They don't even get highlight rights. The very idea that you think money is the most disgusting reason to do something and ALSO think that Bettman and the Owners should kowtow to the IOC, the only entity in sports in the same conversation as FIFA in terms of corruption, is the very definition of hypocrisy.

Also, Bettman offered to let them go in return for a CBA extension. The Union didn't even vote on it. But yep, Bettman's fault again right?

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Ovechkin talked a real big game saying he was going to be in the Olympics regardless of NHL participation....heck his owner an GM even gave him permission. Then, the blowhard backed out because he didn't want to void his contract. I guess country pride really means nothing to him, but money means everything. He bent the knee to the NHL, surprise surprise, classic Ovechkin

Yea, classic Ovi, I mean, I don't remember him ever once voiding his contract with the NHL. I'm pretty sure he wakes up everyday, and just like the day before, doesn't void his massive NHL contract. When are you fools going to learn, he does the same thing everyday. Stop falling for it, just classic Ovi.

Vladnyc

Feb 25, 2018
Every player has the right to do with their own career what they want. That said, since Ovechkin talked big about this issue, and since he wasn't allowed to go, he should have just sat out all the Capitals games during the Olympics in protest. All the Russian players who talked so confidently about this situation should have. The players and the NHL fans missed a HUGE opportunity to take power away from the owners here. As a fan of European Soccer, it amazes me how western sports fans don't realize how much power they have over their leagues. You as the fans can make the league do anything you want. There is no NHL with out the fans. There is no Stanley Cup without the fans. The fact that there was no NHLers at the Winter Olympics lays squarely on your shoulders. The second the NHL made that announcement, there should have been massive outrage and boycotts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad