How do you Rebuild... The Vancouver Canucks?

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
For a team not picking top 3 in like, forever (since Sedins I believe?), we ain't doing so bad. We'll be competitive after next year.

I do have a kinda funny theory that Benning signed vets to bad contracts with protections so that the team could be really bad. But just as it is hard to be the best team, it is really, really hard to be the worst team and get the best player.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
They are still near at capacity with tickets sold, people just aren't going to games but the team is still making money.

That’s a good thing IMO, owners need to have confidence in the fans too, there are ups and downs in this thing called sports. I think we’ve weathered the storm and are finally going to start seeing potential this year.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
The Sedins had a NMC and expressed no interest whatsoever in playing for other teams. They wanted to retire with the Canucks, and that's what they did.
The assumption was that Sedins would have been willing to go after a cup. They really didn't want to win a cup during their careers? Well, I guess I was wrong, then.

Still, right now they don't really have the required star power. I guess it all depends on how Boeser and especially Pettersson turns out.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
The assumption was that Sedins would have been willing to go after a cup. They really didn't want to win a cup during their careers? Well, I guess I was wrong, then.

Still, right now they don't really have the required star power. I guess it all depends on how Boeser and especially Pettersson turns out.

We're still a long way to go into competing. Our defence needs a lot of work at this point especially Juolevi.

Hopefully someday incompetent fools like Benning and some members of management get tossed out.

Last edited:

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
For a team not picking top 3 in like, forever (since Sedins I believe?), we ain't doing so bad. We'll be competitive after next year.

I do have a kinda funny theory that Benning signed vets to bad contracts with protections so that the team could be really bad. But just as it is hard to be the best team, it is really, really hard to be the worst team and get the best player.
Competitive after next year?

Unfortunately their picks in 2014 and 2016 were bad, and that's set the team back in their rebuild. A Canucks team with Tkachuk and Nylander is looking a lot more likely to start competing soon.

Boeser is obviously great. Horvat is a solid #2 centre. But the Canucks have a lot of holes and a lot if things need to go right for them to start competing in 2019.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Tryamkin comes back
Draft a solid D-man this year (Boqvist?)
Trade Tanev for a solid prospect + pick (preferably D prospects)
Tank for Jack Hughes

Pettersson - Hughes - Boeser
Dahlen - Horvat - Virtanen
Baertschi - Gaudette - Lind
Goldobin - Sutter - Eriksson

Juolevi-Tryamkin
Edler-Boqvist
Hutton/prospect-Stecher

Demko
Markstrom

Basically they need to round out their defense and add a legit 1C or 1LW (if Pettersson thrives on center)

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
I don't think we are in all that bad of shape looking forward......I agree with the posters that think a couple more good drafts.......Benning as the manager is responsible for his staff and I think they have made some great choices in the past couple of years.....but we will see!

Now, starting this coming 2018 Draft, we are going to trade Tanev for what we can get for him.......(don't need to discuss his value, thanks!)

Go get Tryamkin from Russia!

Leave Pettersson and Gaudette in the minors, as well as Demko and Juolevi......1 more year!

Start Nilsson for all 82 games.......causing a massive attendance loss, which will result in no equalization payments, to Florida, Arizona, Carolina etc, which will intern, make those teams to reassess their own internal caps, which will intern, cause them to move their elite players for peanuts.......

Vancouver will then pick 2019 1st OA Jack Hughes, and trade futures for Barkov, Ekbla, OEL and Hanifin and win soooo many cups..........

It will be a tough 3 or 4 years.......and you guys will make it harder.......

Either your fans or not, but own it!

Last edited by a moderator:

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
7th overall pick this year, another top 10 pick next year, followed by some decent drafting from 2-7 and hopefully acquiring more picks, and we should be fine.

Pettersson is going to be a real special player, broke all kinds of records in the SHL which had been untouched for decades. Not to mention the incredible season Boeser had which is only going to get better. We also have Demko who's had a terrific post-season in Utica despite losing in the first round.

If we could add one or two more elite level talents, particularly on defense, we should be that much closer. Hopefully we select someone like Hughes or Dobson.

Next year we may see quite a lot of rookies in the line-up. Gaudette, Pettersson, possibly Dahlen or Juolevi, and no doubt Demko can beat out Nilsson for that backup role.

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Go to Russia and pay off Tryampkins contract and bring him back. Then draft best offensive player. Then miss playoffs next year on the last weekend but win draft lottery anyway. The future is secure

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad