How do you Rebuild... The Vancouver Canucks?

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
This post in picture form
220px-Dumpster-non.JPG
Such riveting content as usual

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
You do it with good old fashioned knowledge, luck and dogged scouting. Nucks aren't awful up front but I don't know what they've drafted in terms of dmen or goalies. They could be good soon.

Anton13

Sep 3, 2012
Finland
Horvat
Boeser
Petterson
Tanev
Juolevi

5 pretty solid guys to build around, plus this years 1st. They'll need to find another goaltender and just stick with the process, they'll be a solid team in about 3-4 ish years.

I don't know about Juolevi, he looked pretty underwhelming in the Finnish Liiga this season for such a high draft pick. Has a long way to go to develop to a solid NHL defenceman IMO.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
properly tank and get your ticket where you're supposed to get instead of getting screwed over by the lottery

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Hes really really bad.

Its beyond belief you hired him in the first place given the bad blood between the Bruins and Vancouver. But to keep him on and extend him is mind blowing.

I don't even think he deserves credit for Boeser. Lots of good players were available well into the 2015 draft. Philly took a great young player the pick after in Konecny. And half the guys drafted in the teens will be first liners/first pairing players.

Vancouver doesn't have a team that can win as is but the contracts aren't awful a legit GM would use the Sedin money to make them a playoff team pretty easily. Benning will do something dumb.

I like Vancouver nice city good fans I enjoy going to games there hope you guys can him and get good again. Whats the ownership situation I don't know a thing about who owns the Canucks.

This is very spot on with objective reasoning. Jude Brackett should get most of the credit for the good picks the Canucks made and not Benning.

Benning sucks.

Overall well said by you. Btw kudos to you for the nice words on the last paragraph of your post. Thats a nice gesture and us Canucks fans appreciate the kind words.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Canucks bungled their chance to establish a new identity when Henrik did not pass the Captaincy to anybody. Instead, Linden talked.

Suppose Canucks had named Horvat Captain. This would signal a different type of leadership to go with a new scheme. Commitment! It might have been noticed by a free agent, especially if Canucks talked it up. Instead, they mumbled nonsense and sent a very different message to onlookers.

How to fix? Most of the bungling can be traced to the owner. Unfixable!

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
Well for step 1 I switch them back to the black red and yellow jerseys with the skate that I never realized was a skate as a kid. It will instill such pride and self-respect among the players that I imagine everything else would sort itself out. My strategy for rebuilding the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim is quite similar.

Reactions: deckercky

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
They need find a way to get more luck. Any successful rebuild you need luck as well. Pits won the Crosby lottery. Hawks won the Kane Lottery. They moved up four spots. No Crosby and Kane on their team. Both Franchises will have 3 less cups.

Once a reporter asked Burke, how come you are not wanting to rebuild. Lot of successful rebuild like the Pens. Burke answer was they won a damn lottery.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Go back 3 years in time and actually sell the valuable assets for futures. Simply allowing the Sedins to retire was a horrible decision if the goal was to rebuild.

Anyway, they really are lacking a ton of important pieces. They need to tank for a couple of years and hope they win the lottery, I'd say. At this point, it's tough to do anything else.

The Sedins had a NMC and expressed no interest whatsoever in playing for other teams. They wanted to retire with the Canucks, and that's what they did.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Without the Sedins they will be really bad. I get it they weren't the same players, but they don't have that depth to replace them. Not a bad thing of course, they could be 31st next season.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The Sedins had a NMC and expressed no interest whatsoever in playing for other teams. They wanted to retire with the Canucks, and that's what they did.
You can't trade the Sedins anyways because there's 2 of them. Who had the assets cap hit and need for 2 forwards like them?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Typical Canucks fan, Benning gets crapped on for bad picks but none of the good ones are down to him, it's always someone else.

While it's an over exaggeration to say all good = Bracket and all bad = Benning, when a drafting is a cumulative group effort with a lot of moving parts that as fans we don't get to see you can either just take a simplified approach to say all good/bad credit goes to GM which doesn't really tell you anything or try to dig down a little deeper to piece together what's actually going on. The latter is only really going to be done by fans of the specific team, and doing it on the Canucks paints a picture that Benning doesn't really add anything to our draft. If anything there's a few key points where he screwed up: Virtanen over the scouts preference of Nylander/Ehlers, or tried to screw up: was all in on trading for Lucic but couldn't beat the Kings offer with a higher 1st. And that was the Boeser pick.

Sometimes you can also see a GM's finger prints on selections after the fact. Like the 2014 draft when Benning was new, our 5th rounder Gustav Forsling was a Thomas Gradin pick (our good European scout), while our 7th rounder Mackenzie Stewart was a Ron Delorme special, our lead WHL guy and the bane of any Canucks fans who's followed drafting for the last 20 years.

Forsling is fairly well known now, so looking at Stewart he was a good kid with an inspirational story but as a hockey player nothing more than a no talent goon. So how does Benning fit into this picture? A few months later he trades Forsling, Stewart on the other hand he was immediately on board with singing his praises from day 1 and quickly signed him to a generous ELC contract then tried to force him onto the AHL squad. We actually still have Stewart under contract, expiring this July 1st.

Anyway for the general thread topic how to 'rebuild' the Canucks isn't really hard since we're basically a blank slate now with a few good pieces in place, but it's not going to go anywhere while Linden & Benning are still in charge. Drafting is going reasonably well, but for everything else we need a Dean Lombardi type to come in and set the rest of the organization on the right path.

Reactions: Sayonara77

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Just draft and develop well. Don't trade your young players to fill the so-called "areas of need."

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Should have traded the Sedins when you had the chance and it was obvious Vancouver wasn't going to win with them.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
It's got **** all to do with Benning apologists/lovers but some posters just won't give him any credit whatsoever.

Benning gets crapped on for bad picks where obviously he didn't listen to his scouts at all, oh no! but it's the scouts who get all the praise for any good picks, nothing to do with Benning at all.

Typical HFCanucks :rolleyes:

You should atleast bother to read RandV's post directed at you since that actually gives you details about Benning's contributions to the draft.

When you are suppose to be a rebuilding, and have receive only a single actual draft pick in 2 years, you'll get criticized.

In the past few years, the only moves i liked from Benning were the Bieksa trade (could've gotten a higher pick if traded to SJ but whatever) and the Burrows trade.

Typical HFBenningApologists only expect praises for Benning.

Last edited:

BigTruzz

Jul 19, 2011
Surrey
They are doing well with the rebuild just need to stay away from the long term UFA's. They should be in a good position to pick up a skilled defenceman this year and next year there are tons of good centres available. Pettersson might be able to cut it as a centre in the NHL as well.

Pettersson - Wahlstrom - Boeser
Dahlen - Horvat - Lind
Goldobin - Gaudette - Virtanen
Leipsic - Sutter - Eriksson

XXX - Tanev
Juolevi - Stecher
Hutton - XXX

Demko
Depietro

Two big holes to fill, but at least o e should be dealt with in a few months. Although it's so sure thing all their prospects flourish in the NHL.

Not bad at all

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Why do homers fail to see what their team should have done when it is obvious to outside observers?

Sedins took a home team discount at 6.1 mill for 5 years or so while they won two Art Rosses, a Hart, and a Lindsay. They earned their NTC clause on their last contract and then retired. I shouldn't have to explain contract law to you because you appear clueless.

Reactions: pomx

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad