How do you Rebuild... The Vancouver Canucks?

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
This is a series of me, the OP, asking HFBoards to tell me how you rebuild a franchise that either a Dumpster, Cursed, or in Mediocrity.
In this one... how do we rebuild the Canucks Properly?

The canucks looks just about ready to go, but I want to know how we can make sure they don't screw this core up.

-BlueBull

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
As long as they don't repeat past mistakes like signing Loui Eriksson (I'm looking directly at Lucic here) they seem to be on the right track. Draft and develop young talent and insulate them as best you can with solid veteran players. The Canucks have some very good pieces in place (Boeser, Horvat, likely Pettersson as well) but a lottery win for a franchise talent like Dahlin or Hughes is probably needed to elevate them to eventual contenders. I predict one or two more years of being very bad before they start competing for the playoffs.

They only screw up if they jump the gun trying to compete too early, or whiff too hard on their drafting.

leafsnat1on

Jan 16, 2014
Toronto
I can't take this thread seriously but...

Fire Benning.

Everything else is in place. They've got one of the best prospect pools in the league and have a great chance at Dahlin.
Top Prespect C = Check (Elias Pettersson)
Top Player = Check (Brock Boeser)
Top Goaltender Prospect and Stud = Check (Thatcher Demko)
Great supporting cast of prospects, including Olli Juolevi, Adam Gaudette, Petrus Palmu and Jonathan Dahlen

I feel like Olli has fallen off a bit but can still rebound.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The Canucks are a 1C and 1D prospect away from having all of the core tools already in the system. And depending on how development goes, they may already have those in place. They aren't stuck in mediocrity, rebuilds take time, and with Boeser's emergence, they are looking better than they were a year ago.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Just stay the course, make sure you have a coach that is good at developing young guys and a GM that won't piss away assets/surrounds the youth with vets that will teach them and keep pressure off them. They have some really good pieces, they should be a playoff team within a few years.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver's in good shape for a rebuild. The current young players and prospects have already been mentioned above. Now they just have to make good moves with the cap room that they'll have when the Sedin twins retire.

Reactions: pmwlker

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Their rebuild is fairly close to being over. They'll get a good pick this year and probably another high pick next year without the Sedins. Could push for the playoffs as early as 2019-20.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I can't take this thread seriously but...

Fire Benning.

Everything else is in place. They've got one of the best prospect pools in the league and have a great chance at Dahlin.
Top Prespect C = Check (Elias Pettersson)
Top Player = Check (Brock Boeser)
Top Goaltender Prospect and Stud = Check (Thatcher Demko)
Great supporting cast of prospects, including Olli Juolevi, Adam Gaudette, Petrus Palmu and Jonathan Dahlen

I feel like Olli has fallen off a bit but can still rebound.
I like how your first solution is to fire Benning, then proceed to go through all of the high-end prospects that he has brought in through the draft.

Honestly, the Canucks are a Dahlin away from having arguably one of the best young cores in the league. They have everything except that franchise #1 defenseman.

Funny enough, in spite of all the hate that Benning gets on these boards, he's done a pretty decent job of rebuilding the Canucks from scratch.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
The Canucks are a 1C and 1D prospect away from having all of the core tools already in the system. And depending on how development goes, they may already have those in place. They aren't stuck in mediocrity, rebuilds take time, and with Boeser's emergence, they are looking better than they were a year ago.

Those also happen to be the most difficult players to acquire.

Right answer is fire Benning, acquire draft picks through UFA trades and taking on bad contracts, bring in a few players with experience that aren't over the hill (late 20s/early 30s) on reasonable contracts, and stay the course and develop prospects. It's not a difficult job to do.

Reactions: maxbme

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
They are doing well with the rebuild just need to stay away from the long term UFA's. They should be in a good position to pick up a skilled defenceman this year and next year there are tons of good centres available. Pettersson might be able to cut it as a centre in the NHL as well.

Pettersson - XXX - Boeser
Dahlen - Horvat - Lind
Goldobin - Gaudette - Virtanen
Leipsic - Sutter - Eriksson

XXX - Tanev
Juolevi - Stecher
Hutton - XXX

Demko
Depietro

Two big holes to fill, but at least o e should be dealt with in a few months. Although it's so sure thing all their prospects flourish in the NHL.

GreatSaveLuongo

May 4, 2009
They are doing well with the rebuild just need to stay away from the long term UFA's. They should be in a good position to pick up a skilled defenceman this year and next year there are tons of good centres available. Pettersson might be able to cut it as a centre in the NHL as well.

Pettersson - XXX - Boeser
Dahlen - Horvat - Lind
Goldobin - Gaudette - Virtanen
Leipsic - Sutter - Eriksson

XXX - Tanev
Juolevi - Stecher
Hutton - XXX

Demko
Depietro

Two big holes to fill, but at least o e should be dealt with in a few months. Although it's so sure thing all their prospects flourish in the NHL.
That must be the most expensive 4th line in the league.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
This is a series of me, the OP, asking HFBoards to tell me how you rebuild a franchise that either a Dumpster, Cursed, or in Mediocrity.

The canucks looks just about ready to go, but I want to know how we can make sure they don't screw this core up.

-BlueBull

turning it into a series? asking a question like this on the main board is literally opening up a trash vest on the Vancouver Canucks. Most fans here actually use threads like this, to trash the Canucks rather then talk seriously which they don't, so please stop.

Pettersson is overrated.
Horvat is overrated.
Boeser is overrated.

They are on a path of mediocrity.

looks like the fun already started.

you see what I mean bluebull?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
If we win the draft lottery...
The Canucks would have in the Left side of their D:
Dahlin, Edler, Juolevi, Del Zotto, Hutton, Tryamkin.

Opens up the flexibility to move Edler for a what would be the best return any of our D could bring.
He was a Horse this year... could very well bring back a top 6 center... or a very good right side dman.
With the Sedins retiring, that NTC may be worth revisiting.

Keep Tanev to stabilize the right side despite being a part time player.

Need to win the lottery.
Convince Carlson's agent of the upside in 2 yrs from now of the following D-core:

Dahlin-Carlson
Tryamkin-Tanev
Juolevi-Gudbranson

- profit.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

-BlueBull

Nice try, Benning.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Go back 3 years in time and actually sell the valuable assets for futures. Simply allowing the Sedins to retire was a horrible decision if the goal was to rebuild.

Anyway, they really are lacking a ton of important pieces. They need to tank for a couple of years and hope they win the lottery, I'd say. At this point, it's tough to do anything else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad