Series Talk: How do we beat Boston in round 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Short answer is we don't.
Bruins are better at winning games.
We can talk about starting on time, our depth / skill, Freddie has to stand on his head etc.

In the end, Bruin's are just better and winning games than we are.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
but we've won more games than them.

What if instead of saying the Bruin's are just better at winning games than we are, he'd said that the Bruin's are just better at not losing games than we are?

Bottom line is that both teams are very good and it should be a good series. People arguing that one team is "better" than the other are just blowing smoke.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob Brown

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Every team in this league is beatable. We need Marner, JT, Rielly, Freddie and Matthews playing at there best and any team is beatable. Even Tampa. Whether we can get that level of performance though is another question.

Reactions: Duffman955

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Man the arrogance of Bruins fans. You all should take a gander at that main board thread started by B's fan claiming Tampa is overrated in the same vein as the 2011 Canucks. The puck hasn't even dropped for round 1 and their already thinking about a round 2 match up with them.

I don't care how stacked the odds are against us, taking those pricks out in the first round would just be immensely satisfying.

Reactions: The Spring Samauri

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
Every team in this league is beatable. We need Marner, JT, Rielly, Freddie and Matthews playing at there best and any team is beatable. Even Tampa. Whether we can get that level of performance though is another question.

We also need Nylander, Kadri, Kapanen and Johnson playing their best as those are some great offensive threats also. Also hope that Dermott and Gardiner are both back by the start of the playoffs.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
These remaining 8 games are dress rehearsals for the playoffs, there is no pressure as the Habs are not catching us and we are not catching the B's, the best way to get home ice advantage now is to win one of the first 2 games of the series against the B's (and don't let it go to game 7), last night was great and we hope to see that (plus more intensity) in the playoffs. We also need to see Freddy being Freddy, not beach-ball Freddy, Dermott and Gardiner back will help a lot also.

MarnerElite

Feb 20, 2019
Man the arrogance of Bruins fans. You all should take a gander at that main board thread started by B's fan claiming Tampa is overrated in the same vein as the 2011 Canucks. The puck hasn't even dropped for round 1 and their already thinking about a round 2 match up with them.

I don't care how stacked the odds are against us, taking those pricks out in the first round would just be immensely satisfying.

I don't hate any fanbase but those guys are definitely the worst. The crazy thing is that there is so much delusion on how the refs favour the Leafs(not bothering to look at the fact we get least amount of PP's)...Whiniest bunch yet they talk a lot of crap about others not being that good..It'll be epic to see them go into meltdown mode if we can beat them this time...

I'm not too worried about them though. If our guys play like the way they have been playing the last 2 games..especially our top guns like Matthews and Marner(and no reason to think they won't)..We will at the very least make it very close. Our D will be much better with Dermott and maybe Gardiner back..I'd love to see Rosen, Sandin, Borgman given a shot as well..I know they want to be patient with them but still...

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

The odds aren't that stacked against us. Even if they're 100% healthy and we're missing Gardiner we can still do it if we play as well as we can.

Yes it would be immensely satisfying.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

I'm feeling a weird energy with this upcoming series vs the Bruins.

Something tells me we're gonna shock them and put them out in 5 games, via taking 3 wins in Boston. I predict Freddy shows up in god-mode and the Bruins can't figure him out.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
UNLEASH AUSTON MATTHEWS
GIVE HIM THE ICE TIME HE NEEDS
GIVE HIM WILLY AND KAPPY/MANGO

AT HOME:
HARD MATCH TAVARES, MARNER, HYMAN
VS
BERGERON, ELF, PASTA

PLAY MUZZIN WITH RIELLY AT HOME

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
now that would be a true statement.

I wouldn't say that at all. You could say it was true if based your opinion entirely on what the standings say but the standings change from day to day so who's "better" could go back and forth week to week. Makes a lot more sense to say that it's too close to call IMHO.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I wouldn't say that at all. You could say it was true if based your opinion entirely on what the standings say but the standings change from day to day so who's "better" could go back and forth week to week. Makes a lot more sense to say that it's too close to call IMHO.

I think it's very fair to say the Bruins are better at not losing games.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
How do we beat the Bruins? By having no injuries, and all of our players, playing 60 minutes, limiting mistakes, and giving an effort like they did against Buffalo last night. Any of this, not showing up on time, not working hard... and it's lights out. But when they play their game, they should be able to play with anyone.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Match Bostons tenacity on the puck, Matthews of late is showing another level in that regard, they all need to do so.

Then use speed, skill, roll four lines and wear down their D men. If they do that and receive Andersens standard goaltender, it should be an easier challenge then even they think. Nothing is easy, but when your will to win is higher, it's much easier.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Bruins fan - I'm just hoping for a really exciting series - with both teams healthy and playing at the top of their game.
With how these playoffs are set up I think both fanbases need to settle into the fact they'll probably be meeting in the first round for the next few seasons and then have to figure a way through that juggernaut waiting in the second round. It's tough sledding for both teams, last year, this year, and for the foreseeable future.

As far as you guys beating The Bruins - or about the series in general - a few things.

Don't try to win shifts against the Bergeron line. Just try to minimize the damage. No cutesy plays when Bergeron and Marchand are on the ice. They're just too good at turning defence into offence in the blink of an eye. Safe plays when they're on the ice.
The stretch passes can work but it gets difficult against well-structured teams. The gap control disappears and The Bruins are solid in the neutral zone which could cause your d-men to be back on their heels and work too hard. I think you guys will need to utilize it to keep The Bruins d from pinching in constantly
You guys need to create some kind of forecheck. Win some board battles. Cycle a bit. Get some shots in from the points.
Bruins aren't a big team. They play intense hockey but this isn't the Lucic, Horton, Boychuk, Seidenberg, S. Thornton, G. Campbell Bruins that could hit to hurt. Leafs just can't become wall-flowers. You aren't going to out-work The Bruins but your players have to be willing to engage.
Your d need to move the puck quickly.

I know you guys think you'll get some line mismatches and I can understand why you think of The Bruins as a one line team. Bruins have been rolling their 4th line for a few shifts against other teams top lines the last few months and they've done a great job. Coyle and Mojo (whom has only played 3 games) aren't exactly world-beaters but really help balance their line-up as does DeBrusk finding his rhythm the last while.

It's far enough away that I can wish you guys Good Luck! and extend that I hope to see one of our teams in the SCF, if not this year than next, as they would've earned it. - my nephews are die-hard Leaf fans in their 20s and haven't gotten the joy of watching them win a series so I'd at least be happy for them.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
The two keys to this series are Andersen(by far number 1) and Matthews being himself.

Hate to pile on him because he's saved us so many times, but Andersen is the biggest reason we lost that series.

Ignoring High danger goals, which were pretty even...

Leafs were out scored 7 to 5 on medium danger goals and a terrible 4-0 in low danger goals.

11 goals on shots that your goalie should stop, compared to 5 on Rask.

Need that to be better.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Bruins fan - I'm just hoping for a really exciting series - with both teams healthy and playing at the top of their game.
With how these playoffs are set up I think both fanbases need to settle into the fact they'll probably be meeting in the first round for the next few seasons and then have to figure a way through that juggernaut waiting in the second round. It's tough sledding for both teams, last year, this year, and for the foreseeable future.

As far as you guys beating The Bruins - or about the series in general - a few things.

Don't try to win shifts against the Bergeron line. Just try to minimize the damage. No cutesy plays when Bergeron and Marchand are on the ice. They're just too good at turning defence into offence in the blink of an eye. Safe plays when they're on the ice.
The stretch passes can work but it gets difficult against well-structured teams. The gap control disappears and The Bruins are solid in the neutral zone which could cause your d-men to be back on their heels and work too hard. I think you guys will need to utilize it to keep The Bruins d from pinching in constantly
You guys need to create some kind of forecheck. Win some board battles. Cycle a bit. Get some shots in from the points.
Bruins aren't a big team. They play intense hockey but this isn't the Lucic, Horton, Boychuk, Seidenberg, S. Thornton, G. Campbell Bruins that could hit to hurt. Leafs just can't become wall-flowers. You aren't going to out-work The Bruins but your players have to be willing to engage.
Your d need to move the puck quickly.

I know you guys think you'll get some line mismatches and I can understand why you think of The Bruins as a one line team. Bruins have been rolling their 4th line for a few shifts against other teams top lines the last few months and they've done a great job. Coyle and Mojo (whom has only played 3 games) aren't exactly world-beaters but really help balance their line-up as does DeBrusk finding his rhythm the last while.

It's far enough away that I can wish you guys Good Luck! and extend that I hope to see one of our teams in the SCF, if not this year than next, as they would've earned it. - my nephews are die-hard Leaf fans in their 20s and haven't gotten the joy of watching them win a series so I'd at least be happy for them.

Some reasonable points, though I disagree that the Leafs can't outwork the Bruins. They can, they must, and if they want to win, they will.

We should have beaten you last time we met, the Kadri suspension when he was playing a key role that series hurt us dramatically in more than one way. That Bruins team is better than this Bruins team, while this Leafs team is better than that Leafs team.

The way Matthews has played the last few games should be a recipe for all Leafs. I hope there is a healthy dislike for each other during the series, we saw how this team reacts as they did against Montreal when there is some animosity. Matthews fighting hard against Weber will have to be replicated against Chara.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
I love this because people are sleeping on the additions we have since made that may play some very strong hockey against Boston. Tavares carried the isles for how long? Having to face an impossible opponent against Pittsburgh with a less than mediocre team on the isle, then making it to the second round in the playoffs after carrying the islanders through the first round with a double overtime goal against Florida.

Jake Muzzin was a playoff warrior in L.A with a cup ring to go along with it. He plays his best hockey in the post season. Him with Reilly or a healthy Gardiner? That's a lot of deadly shots from the point on the PP that not even Bergeron could stop.

Add on Matthews ability to play hard. Marner only growing as a hockey player and Nylander finally waking up offensively?

Can't promise a win. Won't promise a win, but I do enjoy the idea of taking it to Boston.

Reactions: Leafsfan74

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I love this because people are sleeping on the additions we have since made that may play some very strong hockey against Boston. Tavares carried the isles for how long? Having to face an impossible opponent against Pittsburgh with a less than mediocre team on the isle, then making it to the second round in the playoffs after carrying the islanders through the first round with a double overtime goal against Florida.

Jake Muzzin was a playoff warrior in L.A with a cup ring to go along with it. He plays his best hockey in the post season. Him with Reilly or a healthy Gardiner? That's a lot of deadly shots from the point on the PP that not even Bergeron could stop.

Add on Matthews ability to play hard. Marner only growing as a hockey player and Nylander finally waking up offensively?

Can't promise a win. Won't promise a win, but I do enjoy the idea of taking it to Boston.

Never fear an opponent. Have some pride and faith in one another as a team. This Leafs team knows they are skilled, but they can turn off all of our fawning and prove it on the ice. I've seen some of these young guys wake up when challenged. I saw Matthews throw down Weber, Tavares and Kappy give it back to the Habs for instance. You need to have that in a playoff series.

The Bruins plan will probably be to "not wake up the Leafs". That will only last as long as the Leafs don't have a lead. If and when they do, Bruins will try to turn it up, and Leafs will have to match

You know when players retire they always say "I miss being around the guys and being part of a team". This is their chance to cement something special, there are millions of Leaf fans desperately wanting to see a series win. An entire generation in fact.

You win the first one, and all bets are on the table. Anyone who makes the playoffs can win it all.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
When an unstoppable force meets an immovable object, something's gotta give. Can't wait!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad