How did Espo look in his first Q game and would he be #1 in '06?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
VOB said:
In terms of progression, Angelo is everybit as good as any of the consensus top five picks for the 06 draft were at the same stage that he is at now.

I agree, but he's still a year younger. I've never cared for hypothetical placement of players from one draft year into another (unless it's done in retrospect). The only time the thought didn't make me cringe was when they were talking about Ovechkin who was only a few days away from being eligible. If we're going to take Esposito top three overall in '06 then why don't we throw Tavares in as well? He's got four goals in three games and he just turned 15 a few weeks ago. See where I'm going with this?

What I will say is that it looks like Esposito is already proving that he looks like the early candidate for first overall in '07.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
cagney said:
I agree, but he's still a year younger. I've never cared for hypothetical placement of players from one draft year into another (unless it's done in retrospect). The only time the thought didn't make me cringe was when they were talking about Ovechkin who was only a few days away from being eligible. If we're going to take Esposito top three overall in '06 then why don't we throw Tavares in as well? He's got four goals in three games and he just turned 15 a few weeks ago. See where I'm going with this?

What I will say is that it looks like Esposito is already proving that he looks like the early candidate for first overall in '07.

Compare Kessel and Frolik at 16 to Esposito at 16.

You cant compare what Kessel and Frolik are doing NOW versus what Espo is doing now.

Also what Scoutman1 said, he thinks Espo would go 3rd. If you compare Esposito to players such as Jonathan Toews, James Sheppard and Bryan Little, he is already equal to them, so add another year of elite level hockey and in my opinion you may be under rating what he is doing.

quebec_nordiques

Sep 8, 2005
Quebec City
Tonight game

I was at the rempart game friday and tonight, and in the 2 last year i see sidney crosby play 8 time, and i can said that esposito at this time is better than crosby, he was more speedy and was a great playmaker, he score an awesome goal in pk tonight. In the 5 first game of the year he didnt have a real good winger, now he have radulov and in 1 week jordan lavallée will be back. Its just 2 game but i never seen in my life a guy more eplosive than him.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
LaLaLaprise said:
Compare Kessel and Frolik at 16 to Esposito at 16.

You cant compare what Kessel and Frolik are doing NOW versus what Espo is doing now.

Also what Scoutman1 said, he thinks Espo would go 3rd. If you compare Esposito to players such as Jonathan Toews, James Sheppard and Bryan Little, he is already equal to them, so add another year of elite level hockey and in my opinion you may be under rating what he is doing.

I understand all that. I'm just saying I personally don't like to do what scoutman is doing. Call me conservative. We've already got people saying he is better than Crosby after 7 games.

Habs4Life

Aug 29, 2003
Saint John, NB
quebec_nordiques said:
I was at the rempart game friday and tonight, and in the 2 last year i see sidney crosby play 8 time, and i can said that esposito at this time is better than crosby, he was more speedy and was a great playmaker, he score an awesome goal in pk tonight. In the 5 first game of the year he didnt have a real good winger, now he have radulov and in 1 week jordan lavallée will be back. Its just 2 game but i never seen in my life a guy more eplosive than him.
LMAO....... LMAO... Sorry can't stop laughing... LMAO... :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
cagney said:
I understand all that. I'm just saying I personally don't like to do what scoutman is doing. Call me conservative. We've already got people saying he is better than Crosby after 7 games.

The question of this entire thing is where would he go in 2006 and I am giving my opinion. This is hockeys future meaning prospects, not hockeys present. You get sick of hearing about the same prospects like Ovechkin, Crosby, Carter etc etc. If that is all people talk about than this is one dull board. Some one is going to have to hype someone up taht they have watched, its just the way it goes and I like reading it. I for one though have not said he is better than Crosby as I don't think he is...but he is pretty darn good though and should be the early leader over Zach Hamill for 2007 so far IMO. Nice to make a prediction and see how it plays out in the future.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Beatnik said:
You were at the game? How many times have you seen both live at 16 to compare?

If not you can't talk or laugh, you simply don't know.

If there are any fans out there who have seen Esposito on several occasions this year and in the past, can you please provide a detailed recap of his play and his strength's to date.

What does he do well, what doesn't he do well, what are his best attributes, etc.?

I'm guessing this kid will light up the U17's this Xmas in Regina and we'll see how he does against his own age group. The 1989's in Canada are looking pretty strong with Espo leading the pack to this point!

CH Wizard

scoutman1 said:
2 goals and 2 assists and the game isn't even over yet, IMO this kid might not be the next Crosby, but I think he will be one of the next great prospects in the CHL like a Lecavalier, Thornton, Jason Spezza. I would put him in that type of company.

Agreed, he is no Crosby but he's going to be a star ala Spezza. He has interesting skills and he's really speedy from what I saw. What I like, is his all around skills, I've seen him make beautiful passes to Radulov and he can really complete (his top corner goal anyone?).

Off topic: He's a friend of mine on myspace.com...anybody wants his profile?

Vic Rattlehead*

Jason MacIsaac said:
16 points in 7 games so far....not far off Crosby's pace. Difference is.....8 of those are goals. Espo is more comparable to Daigle then Crosby is. I am not saying Espo will be a bust or anything....he looks to me like a star in the making. This is what the NHL needs....a group of stars comming into the NHL.

Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Kessel, Frolik, Espo, Tavaras, Anthony

You forgot Toews.

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
Good paper by Simon Richard on Esposito

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=7963

"At times, the show he gives on the ice with Radulov -- who by the way will for sure make the NHL next year -- is so wonderful that it does happen that I forget to change the lines," said Roy in the post game press conference. "Both want a lot of ice time and it is normal," he added.

Me: He better not forget this too often with Radulov!

Are people talking of Crosby to you, HF asked Esposito. "Yes, they are,†he said.
Do you feel a pressure for being eventually compared again and again to Crosby? "No, because I can’t be compared to him. His name has been associated with guys like Mario Lemieux and Wayne Gretzky. I’m most flattered for being compared with Crosby but my sole goal is to work for becoming a better hockey player. Sincerely, I do not feel pressure about the comparison.â€

Spooky371*

Esposito are eligible in 06' or 07' ?

And he way far behind Lecavalier or Crosby, maybe a Gagné or Tangay

jake1

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
LaLaLaprise said:
If you compare Esposito to players such as Jonathan Toews, James Sheppard and Bryan Little, he is already equal to them, so add another year of elite level hockey and in my opinion you may be under rating what he is doing.
In the season that ended in April 2005 (not too long ago) Espo and Toews were teammates.

Jonathan Toews 12 4-29-88 6'1" 180 Winnipeg, MB 64 48 62 110 38
Angelo Esposito 11 2-20-89 6'1" 170 Montreal, Que 68 31 35 66 47

I'm not sure Espo is "equal" to Toews at this point, but it seems as though he wasn't five months ago. And their age difference isn't huge (less than ten months).

Transported Upstater

scoutman1 said:
considering Kessel is almost 2 years older than Esposito and Frolik over a year...that is alot of time for Hockey development. IMO if Esposito was in this draft he would be up there for 1st overall wtih Kessel IMO.

Kessel is better than any player in the 1987-1988 age group except for Sidney Crosby IMO.

EDIT: Forgot about Malkin, he's up there too...And Ovechkin is not an '87...

Last edited by a moderator:

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
jake1 said:
In the season that ended in April 2005 (not too long ago) Espo and Toews were teammates.

Jonathan Toews 12 4-29-88 6'1" 180 Winnipeg, MB 64 48 62 110 38
Angelo Esposito 11 2-20-89 6'1" 170 Montreal, Que 68 31 35 66 47

I'm not sure Espo is "equal" to Toews at this point, but it seems as though he wasn't five months ago. And their age difference isn't huge (less than ten months).

Toews also put up 100+ points as a 15 year old. Okposo put up 90+ as a 15 year old as well. Crosby put up nearly 160 in about 10 fewer games.

Then again, points aren't everything.

I'll be honest though; I'm shocked by the points Esposito is putting up so far. If he keeps it up all season I'd be amazed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad