How are you feeling about Tavares these days?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I’m not a Tavares guy but he was all hands on deck in the whole 3-1 comeback. Didn’t get on the board regularly and his lack of offense and special teams sunk the season. But he gave it his all and made that big play in OT Game 5. Took a lot of punishment and gave a lot back. I respect him for what he brought this series.

Reactions: ToneDog and Goose

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
It's not even his fault, the whole signing was a Dubas catastrophe. Three highly talented forwards soon to command huge contracts and you go spend huge $ on another forward instead of fixing goal and defense. So the whole thing turns into a ridiculous "can you win with 4 forwards taking all your cap" experiment for all these years. Just an idiotic disastrous signing.

The money would have been better spent elsewhere, but did anyone really expect him to be as unproductive in the playoffs as he has been for Toronto?

I think he did try his best this year, so there's that. He's really limited five on five at this point.

Personally, I'm ready to let him go elsewhere. But if they sign him for cheap (like $4 mil per), I won't cry over it.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Time for him to be stripped and he needs to go, trade him at 50% retained and use that money elsewhere.

Sorry for 11 million dollars 2 points is just not enough

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
It might be time to...Lead Tavares Into Retirement

He looked hurt out there.

The water is warm bro

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240505_090425_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240505_090425_Chrome.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 3

SoVi3t

Sep 16, 2009
I’m not a Tavares guy but he was all hands on deck in the whole 3-1 comeback. Didn’t get on the board regularly and his lack of offense and special teams sunk the season. But he gave it his all and made that big play in OT Game 5. Took a lot of punishment and gave a lot back. I respect him for what he brought this series.

That's my issue with Tavares. I've loved him since Jrs, wanted nothing more than for him to be a Leaf. But I do understand he's gotten older since then and what we wanted never came to fruition.

He still is one of the absolute best faceoff men in the league, his leadership skills are exactly what you want, and like you said he shows up for big games and gives it his all. He might get outskated by younger guys these days but he's never just drifting for several shifts.

I don't wanna lose him from the team, but I don't think he's earning his pay either....

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The leafs will be hiring a very mean, nasty coach if Tavares and Marner dont ask to leave. Im sorry but he isnt a captain and is not worth $6M next year.

Reactions: thewave

Shooter14

57 years now and still hoping.
Feb 5, 2018
The leafs will be hiring a very mean, nasty coach if Tavares and Marner dont ask to leave. Im sorry but he isnt a captain and is not worth $6M next year.
it can work backwards, the players over the years have had it nice and easy with passive coaches. Hiring a very mean and nasty coach would be a total shock to them and they will probably want out, and not play to there potential, maybe. You would need mean and nasty players to play for that type of coach, which the Leafs don't have. Need to try that approach, no other alternative.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
So John what are the takeaways from another brutal loss to a bitter rival?

"Well we were out there learning lessons and giving 110% that's all you can ask for".

What about winning a winnable series John?

"That's a lesson we will have to learn for next time".

Reactions: hotpaws

LastOne2100

Jan 2, 2017
The guy is a terrible captain and always has been, both in NY and here in Toronto.

I can't imagine anything inspiring coming out of his mouth, just monotone nothingness.

The signing really kneecapped us at a pivotal time when we didn't need his declining skillset, but to solve goaltending and defense.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
So John what are the takeaways from another brutal loss to a bitter rival?

"Well we were out there learning lessons and giving 110% that's all you can ask for".

What about winning a winnable series John?

"That's a lesson we will have to learn for next time".
Always amazes me people read so much into post game pressers. I wonder if they get this upset about the results of a WWE match too.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Always amazes me people read so much into post game pressers. I wonder if they get this upset about the results of a WWE match too.
Thats the thing I don't even watch them anymore. You just know Tavares is going to give the same bullshit replies and Mitch and Matthews are going to deflect and sulk. Sucks your boy JT is such a dud. Must irk you Tavares fans that he is a complete flake and one of the worst captains in playoffs history.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Thats the thing I don't even watch them anymore. You just know Tavares is going to give the same bullshit replies and Mitch and Matthews are going to deflect and sulk. Sucks your boy JT is such a dud. Must irk you Tavares fans that he is a complete flake and one of the worst captains in playoffs history.
Yup, NHL players are going to give trained answers. It's a shocker and definitely worth being pissy about

I'll let you in on a secret too, that stripper wasn't actually into you either.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
@ $11 mil cap hit the 7th highest in the NHL.

1 more season, and the Leafs will be able to get out from under this contract, and start get some cap relief.

Less than 14 months away from the end of the John Tavares era.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Less than 14 months away from the end of the John Tavares era.

John Tavares @$11 mil cap hit outproduced Reaves, Kampf, Dewar, McCabe and Edmundson by 1 single point in this years playoffs. Those are 4th line players and defense first Dmen.,

1714924189354.png

When Tavares era ends Leaf Nation will look back retrospectively and conclude his signing was a BIG mistake both at cost, contribution and driving up internal Leafs salaries.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
John Tavares @$11 mil cap hit outproduced Reaves, Kampf, Dewar, McCabe and Edmundson by 1 single point in this years playoffs. Those are 4th line players and defense first Dmen.,

View attachment 865313

When Tavares era ends Leaf Nation will look back retrospectively and conclude his signing was a BIG mistake both at cost, contribution and driving up internal Leafs salaries.

I think we can just sum it up by saying the whole Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Rielly era didn’t work out as it was designed to.

Reactions: seventieslord

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Tavares signing had nothing to do with what our young stars got paid (this narrative has been debunked repeatedly), but otherwise a fair take to call the signing a mistake

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad