How are you feeling about Tavares these days?

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Opened up the NHL stats tonight and was surprised to see Tavares tied for second in overall points, 1 behind the NHL leader.

Yes, it’s 5 games in, but I’ve watched most of the games this year and have barely thought about Tavares. Had no idea he was tied with Willy for points.

I feel like he’s either taken for granted or just barely tolerated by most fans, and more or less looked down upon by those outside the fan base. For example, a lot of people on the main boards seem to think he won’t make the HHoF, which I think he’s almost a lock for already, and certainly a lock for if he puts in a few more decent production years.

I honestly don’t really know what to make of the guy as a player right now, or who his “equivalents” are in the NHL.

Where are you guys at with JT these days?

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
He's skating a lot better, I wonder how that happened. Possibly he lost some weight.

Reactions: authentic

cipher

Jun 24, 2016
Tavares soften starts like this. I said the same last year, that he seemed quicker and then he slowed down as the season progressed. Won't be surprised to see him get 70-80 points again this season if he stays heathy as he's always been super consistent.

That said, I'm looking forward to us being able to spend his 11M cap in 2 years either because he's signed for us on a cheap veteran deal (1-2M per year) or we've decided to go in another direction. Putting that money elsewhere like McDavid or some decent defensemen likely makes this team better.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
One goal and one primary assist at 5v5.

Benefitting a lot from odd-man situations and Nylander's play, which is about normal for him.

Reactions: ICBM and hotpaws

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Always liked him right from day 1.

Never knew much about him before he arrived in Toronto, so was a little surprised to see that he was a little more of a quiet and low-key type of player. He'll take the interview spotlight but you can tell he does it because it's his responsibility and not because he likes to.

But he's clearly a nice guy, respects his teammates and the game, and plays hard game in game out. He knows he has a big responsibility due to his huge contract and being captain, and it shows by the way he plays - he shows up every game with or without personal results. He reminds me of Crosby in the way he grinds it out behind the boards and in front of the net. Just watch his OT goal in game 6 last year- he circled the Tampa net TWICE before he scored the goal. That's what a grinder does. Never understood the hate for this guy. It's never been warranted.

And sure enough he scores the overtime winner against Tampa AGAIN tonight.

Leaf fans should be thrilled that we've had a player of this calibre playing for us

Westlander

the olden time
Aug 31, 2004
The Netherlands
After we we signed JT if you told people that he would still be a ppg player in year 5 of a 7-year deal, everyone would have been delighted, and that’s leaving aside that he looks pretty good to start this season as well.
What spoils it is the lack of team playoff success and that COVID wrecked the salary cap.
After his deal ends I’d like to see him stay if it can be done cheaply enough.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
JT was good so far, but I have to say I partially blame Nylander for his success.

Reactions: arso40

KaN19

Jun 25, 2023
One of the better big-name free agent additions in recent NHL history. JT has fulfilled what was expected of him when he signed. Came in as a PPG centre, and remains a PPG centre in year 6 of 7.

Never worth $11m, and could have spent that cap space better across different players, but that's just the going rate for a bonafide #1C in free agency. Flat cap also screwed us over, but none of that is on Tavares himself.

Reactions: Dangles McGavin

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He's been great so far this year! He’s looked better than he did in any 5 game stretch the last 2 years IMO. Mostly he appears to be skating better, quicker feet, more elusive/mobile. Dunno what’s happened, but I hope he keeps skating like this all season/playoffs!

Reactions: banks

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
He's fine, and he's always been fine. He's our captain. He's a ppg player across his whole career.

I never got the hate for John. So what He's making 11m per? It's over after next year, and he'll most likely take a huge discount for the leafs when it is.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I sit on a man's back.

Choking him and making him carry me. Yet I tell everyone that I am very sorry for him. That I wish to ease his pain by all means possible.

Except by getting off his back.

Tavares has earned $68.14M so far to live out his dream as Captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs. And that's where all the problems start. Because Tavares is only a 2C on this team.

But he's getting paid as a 1C.

He's become an anchor instead of an engine as a result. $68M has bought this franchise no more playoff rounds than they would have achieved without him here. And while I'm glad to see Tavares living out his childhood dream I think it would be nice if someone would take the fans dreams into consideration for once.

We're the ones paying for it all.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Tavares soften starts like this. I said the same last year, that he seemed quicker and then he slowed down as the season progressed. Won't be surprised to see him get 70-80 points again this season if he stays heathy as he's always been super consistent.

That said, I'm looking forward to us being able to spend his 11M cap in 2 years either because he's signed for us on a cheap veteran deal (1-2M per year) or we've decided to go in another direction. Putting that money elsewhere like McDavid or some decent defensemen likely makes this team better.
There is no world he is signing on with us for 1-2M per year. There will be a bump back but think more like 5-6 on a one year deal. The guy is going to put up like 80 points every year of his contract. He isn't a washed league min guy. Not even remotely.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
He's become an anchor instead of an engine as a result. $68M has bought this franchise no more playoff rounds than they would have achieved without him here. And while I'm glad to see Tavares living out his childhood dream I think it would be nice if someone would take the fans dreams into consideration for once.

We're the ones paying for it all.

Whut?

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
The media from day 1 drilled into our heads that this deal was going to age poorly and by the end of it, Tavares will be a 60 pt player.

Everyone has been on edge about him declining. In reality, he is still able to produce at a point per game pace. He may not put up 40+ again but part of that is the development of Nylander and his scoring capabilities. Only so many goals to go around.

Don’t forget that Tavares was considered to be one of the greatest potential players of all time. He’s never been a great skater. He will likely always find a way to been a productive point producer in the NHL.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
One goal and one primary assist at 5v5.

Benefitting a lot from odd-man situations and Nylander's play, which is about normal for him.
You can't even give him credit for his good start which is about normal. The hate you have for this guy is second to none. As good a start 88 has, he is -2.

1697978064766.png

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
To be fair… it’s usually the same few posters who constantly whine and cry about JT.

They go on and on about anchors, 5v5, cap hell, blah, blah, blah… it’s literally become like a broken record with those few guys.

Meanwhile… Captain Johnny Toronto keeps scoring at a PPG and dishing up overtime winners.

9 points in 5 games

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'd easily sign him to a new... ;)

I'm feeling incredibly well about Tavares right now (and am happy that this can be a thread).

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
He’s off to a good start, hopefully he can keep this up! It looked like him and Bertuzzi had some good chemistry also when Bertuzzi was moved to the second line.

Reactions: DarkKnight

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023

You're right.

His hot start totally makes me change the opinion I've held daily since they signed him. I no longer think $11M on a 2C cliche mumbling pacifist milquetoast for Captain is a misallocation of resources. I also don't understand anything about regression so fully expect him to finish with 150 points or so.

Nylander too for that matter.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Still think he's overpaid significantly but that was always the case. I do like that he's one of the few Leafs willing to go to the slot on a regular basis, though. Tavares foot speed is concerning but he's still a good player. If the Leafs are able to ride out this contract without him being a boat anchor they will have dodged a huge bullet tbh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad