Seravalli: Horvat Contract Discussion

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I bet it looks more like this. 8 x $7.75mm per.

I’m all for Vancouver having no cap space. You’re the only team I worry about doing an offer sheet on Byram. But y’all ain’t going to have the cap space for it. And we can bridge him.
Why don't we make it easy and trade you Horvat for him!!:nod:

You very well be right about the Horvat deal, but I just don't see him getting a higher value deal than Miller. We will see.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Why don't we make it easy and trade you Horvat for him!!:nod:

You very well be right about the Horvat deal, but I just don't see him getting a higher value deal than Miller. We will see.
The Avs don’t have any need for Horvat. Nor could they afford him. But you’d be adding a lot in that deal.

$7.75mm is lower than Miller. And he’s captain so he won’t come cheap to resign. He’ll be well north of Boeser.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
That's just the thing.....Horvat isn't actually that guy. He seems like he should be. Sure, he takes a ton of faceoffs (with good numbers) and he takes hard defensive assignments, but he isn't really successful in those assignments.

Horvat's reputation exceeds his play, which is why Canucks fans aren't really comfortable paying him as that guy.
You raise a good point, but if the agent thinks another team will pay Horvat based a bit more on reputation than results, the Canucks will have to pay something more than he's probably worth, but to be fair, isn't every reasonably successful soon to be unrestricted free agent overpaid? Many manage to have career seasons just before the payday. How likely are any of Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Kadri, Huberdeau, etc. to repeat those great seasons that got them top money eating up later UFA years? If some team will pay Horvat 7x$7.75 mil the Canucks can probably get him to take a bit less but it won't be significantly less. Is the difference in cap hit between say $6.75 mil annually and $7.125 mil annually that big of a deal? A lot teams would love to have Horvat. He's a try hard guy and he has a good amount of skill to go with it. He's not just a grinding winger good for 20 goals and 45 points. I think Vancouver should be comfortable paying him close to what the market would bear.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
You raise a good point, but if the agent thinks another team will pay Horvat based a bit more on reputation than results, the Canucks will have to pay something more than he's probably worth, but to be fair, isn't every reasonably successful soon to be unrestricted free agent overpaid? Many manage to have career seasons just before the payday. How likely are any of Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Kadri, Huberdeau, etc. to repeat those great seasons that got them top money eating up later UFA years? If some team will pay Horvat 7x$7.75 mil the Canucks can probably get him to take a bit less but it won't be significantly less. Is the difference in cap hit between say $6.75 mil annually and $7.125 mil annually that big of a deal? A lot teams would love to have Horvat. He's a try hard guy and he has a good amount of skill to go with it. He's not just a grinding winger good for 20 goals and 45 points. I think Vancouver should be comfortable paying him close to what the market would bear.

Reputation exceeding play is why Horvat should be flipped for assets rather than resigned, unless it is a team friendly deal (ie, contract matches play rather than reputation).

If he wants to maximize earnings, Horvat should absolutely go to UFA. I have no doubt he could get at least what Kadri got on the open market.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Reputation exceeding play is why Horvat should be flipped for assets rather than resigned, unless it is a team friendly deal (ie, contract matches play rather than reputation).

If he wants to maximize earnings, Horvat should absolutely go to UFA. I have no doubt he could get at least what Kadri got on the open market.
Vancouver is trying to win. How does an extra first round pick help? If they signed Miller it’s hard to see them walking away from Horvat. He’s a very good player and it’s unlikely Vancouver gets a big return for a pending UFA.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Vancouver is trying to win. How does an extra first round pick help? If they signed Miller it’s hard to see them walking away from Horvat. He’s a very good player and it’s unlikely Vancouver gets a big return for a pending UFA.
At an abstract level, Horvat could be flipped for assets and those assets would cover most/all of the cost of a right-hand defenceman. That would better structure the Canucks roster and improve their 'now' competitiveness.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
7.25 feels like the right finishing number. Don’t think he is worth quite that much but it’s not egregious

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Agreed, Horvat is a good player but for me the abosute max I would like to see him get is 7m...He had 30G last year largely do to his prime spot on the PP, but when I see others like Kevin Hayes or Coutorier get 7m plus it likely means Horvat gets more than just 7m flat.

No way should Horvat get the same as 99pt JT Miller, that would be silly for management and cap strap them going forward in my opinion
Couturier is a far better player than Horvat when he isn't injured close to ppg and selves level defense idk why that would have anything to do with horvat.

Most importantly wtf are eye-teeth?!
Watch the sandman

Attachments

• l-intro-1659653548.jpg
    l-intro-1659653548.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 2

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
The Canucks will quietly sign him, on a Friday, release the news in the afternoon. The number will start with a 6. None of the insiders, local or otherwise, will have any idea before it drops.

Boeser - two sides far apart, he wants x amount. Quietly signs less than forecasted, nobody had it prior to the release.

Miller - two sides far apart, he wants x amount. Quietly signs for less than forecasted, nobody had it prior to the release.

Horvat -

This management group keeps things tightly locked down.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
The Canucks will quietly sign him, on a Friday, release the news in the afternoon. The number will start with a 6. None of the insiders, local or otherwise, will have any idea before it drops.

Boeser - two sides far apart, he wants x amount. Quietly signs less than forecasted, nobody had it prior to the release.

Miller - two sides far apart, he wants x amount. Quietly signs for less than forecasted, nobody had it prior to the release.

Horvat -

God I love when people talk about 'his reputation exceeds his play'. Yeah, he's not as good as all of the people in hockey think he is. You know who really knows how good he is? JFresh.

Reactions: zcaptain

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Wtf couts for sure better than horvat…but couts also admitted to taking a pay cut so horvat could get something like Hayes did. I think that’s a decent comparable. 7 x7 ish is what I see happening

Tact

Jul 9, 2006

Horvat -

Lol 😂 why is Vancouver so quiet

• Haha
Reactions: Love

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007

Horvat -

Speak loudly and clearly into the microphone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad