Hope everyone made it home safe.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I hope this doesn't ''negatively'' impact the beginning of the hockey season for you guys down there. Seems like sporting and musical festivals are the new preferred target for all kinds of sick people.
NHL has expanded security over the years, especially after 9/11. There was a time when you could walk into an arena without having to go through a metal detector. Latest wrinkle I've seen (last spring/summer) was bomb sniffing dogs checking venue/attendees.

I'm guessing that all sports leagues and venues for large events will be reviewing their procedures to see what improvements/changes are needed in light of this. (Reminds me of recent JD Robb book, Apprentice in Death, where shooter takes aim at venues around NYC, including concert at MSG.)

In all likelihood, there might be a bit more security, but may be nothing that is seen/impacts directly attendees.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
NHL has expanded security over the years, especially after 9/11. There was a time when you could walk into an arena without having to go through a metal detector. Latest wrinkle I've seen (last spring/summer) was bomb sniffing dogs checking venue/attendees.

I'm guessing that all sports leagues and venues for large events will be reviewing their procedures to see what improvements/changes are needed in light of this. (Reminds me of recent JD Robb book, Apprentice in Death, where shooter takes aim at venues around NYC, including concert at MSG.)

In all likelihood, there might be a bit more security, but may be nothing that is seen/impacts directly attendees.
Especially in situations like this one. The targets were in an open air venue with hotels towering over them. I'm not sure how additional security would stop anyone from booking a room, popping a window and opening fire.

Reactions: HanSolo

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Trump planning on visiting Wednesday. (So avoid the Strip area during his visit as it could be crazy traffic restrictions)

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
My brother had flown into Vegas yesterday morning, and was at the game last night. So I was very rattled this morning when I saw the news, but luckily his hotel is north of the strip and he doesn't like country music. He wasn't in the area by the time of this.

My thoughts are with everyone in Vegas today. Hope no one here was affected.

The great thing about hockey is how it brings people together, and I think your home opener will be perfect for that.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
How are you guys holding up.
I didn't sleep all night. I also cried more than I ever have in my life. I'm absolutely devastated by this. It still feels so surreal. But it is real. And so horrific.

The only solace I find is that my loved ones are safe and the Vegas community is showing up in huge masses to donate blood. The Summerlin location is so packed that there's no room for cars to drop more donors off in the parking lot.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
My brother had flown into Vegas yesterday morning, and was at the game last night. So I was very rattled this morning when I saw the news, but luckily his hotel is north of the strip and he doesn't like country music. He wasn't in the area by the time of this.

My thoughts are with everyone in Vegas today. Hope no one here was affected.

The great thing about hockey is how it brings people together, and I think your home opener will be perfect for that.
Agreed. It's a shame the opener has to be a dedication rather than a celebration, but its the lowest shame to come of all this, and it is a wonderful opportunity for our city to take pride in how they've responded. I'm absolutely heartbroken but I've never been more proud of the city of Las Vegas.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Where it wasn't a friend it's a friend of a friend either is or will be numbered among the dead. Brain stem severed and haven't heard yet if the family has made it yet to take off life support.

In times like these we must come together and stand as one.

My heart goes out to all those affected by this. My friend is already struggling dearly over this. And I know there are many other friends and family members that are as well.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

Especially in situations like this one. The targets were in an open air venue with hotels towering over them. I'm not sure how additional security would stop anyone from booking a room, popping a window and opening fire.

I agree. But there will need to be some measures taken for before and after events.
Shit happened at the O2 arena in Manchester. Shit happened in Edmonton in the proximity of the Commonwealth stadium.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Such disgusting cowardly acts. I really hope they find all of the scumbags involved and get justice for those that suffered tonight. I was actually at Sunrise Hospital all night because we took my mom off life support tonight and we saw the people streaming in droves. And the craziest thing is if my mom weren't in the hospital both my sister and myself would have been down on the strip tonight. So in her own way she was still protecting us right until the end.

Sorry about your mom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad