Post-Game Talk: Home vs Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
Is this the beginning stages of what the oft-touted Lavy quick flameout looks like?

I said a while back and got laughed at.

Sadly he won't go away this year and probably not next. GMDP put all his eggs in lavys basket with how he decided to field the team.

Again you don't build a team around a coach. You build it around the team you have.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
See a trend?

IMG_6238.png

Hey well at least they won two games towards the end vs just one game. That's at least an upward trend even if I was looking more for a three or more game winning streak. So does this mean we will win against Chicago next game :)

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
The big issue I saw was the team kept looking for the grand slam when a bunt here and there would have been just fine. Not enough grind to the game, they want to look pretty. The end result was carelessness with the puck, not getting out of our end, and turnovers that led to breakaways with little defensive support. Mostly not on Rinne this time. He made some really excellent saves.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Another 6 hour round trip for nothing.

I am so sick of our OT play I would have rather lost in regulation even though it would hurt in the standings. This game ticks me off more than the 4-0 LA loss.

I've been watching sports for 40 years and our OT ineptitude is the most inexplicable, mind boggling, unexplainable thing I have ever seen in any sport. It is truly unbelievable. It defies all logic. I truly believe it's 100% a mental thing now and has been for quite awhile. Plus some bad luck thrown in for good measure. I mean, we have had possession for about 80% of the time in OT play this year and still can't win- just inexplicable

I don't care if we didn't practice the 3 on 3 OT for one second, with the skill we have we should win our share of OT if nothing else just by accident. You could put a good AHL team out there in place of us for the past 2 years worth of OT games we've played and I guarantee you they'd have more wins than we've had.

It's just unreal

And now I have a LONG 3 hour drive home to think about it :help:

Mass

Feb 18, 2013
Baltimore, MD
On the bright side my boy Fiala with 11:40 TOI third lowest for the forwards ahead of smith 10:40 and Boucher (who had a goal) 9:56

Not to mention he was a -1, 2 PIMs, 1 hit and zero shots but he hustled... More like a grinder stat line but people will keep pumping his tires.

Whatever your obsession with Fiala is, just let it go. Not sure why it would bother someone that people would give honest opinions on a players recent performance. Sounds personal.

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
Whatever your obsession with Fiala is, just let it go. Not sure why it would bother someone that people would give honest opinions on a players recent performance. Sounds personal.

you tell me, why is it bothering you that I give honest opinions on a players recent performance?

If people can comment on his hustle I can comment on his lack of production.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham

Yes- for the love of all that is holy- PLEASE

The fact that you are posting non-stop about Fiala after this game reveals an irrational obsession.

We get your point- the horse is dead- please move on to some other negativity

Marty Party

Back @ The Bridge
Mar 2, 2012
Nashville
ace.mu.nu
The fans were pumped in the 3rd but as soon as regulation ended the air let out of the arena.

Everyone one was thinking it. And then it happened. I let out a loud expletive and then wondered why I stayed to watch.

These individuals are going to save me some money in late April this year it seems.

Tip my hat to you drwpreds. Not an easy drive home after games like these.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
The big issue I saw was the team kept looking for the grand slam when a bunt here and there would have been just fine. Not enough grind to the game, they want to look pretty. The end result was carelessness with the puck, not getting out of our end, and turnovers that led to breakaways with little defensive support. Mostly not on Rinne this time. He made some really excellent saves.

Hmmm. Sounds like the same mistakes that the Admirals are making during their 3 game losing streak. Could it be a system(s) error?

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Hmmm. Sounds like the same mistakes that the Admirals are making during their 3 game losing streak. Could it be a system(s) error?

God I hope not. I hope it's just the team trying too hard, because that can be dialed back. If this is the only thing they are gameplamning with then we got long term problems....

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Is this the beginning stages of what the oft-touted Lavy quick flameout looks like?

Yes this or we just have a team with zero passion. Fisher is probably the worst captain this team has ever had.

When you see the mistakes this team is making over and over this far into the season you have to start looking at the coaching. You can't pin it all on Lavy, but I think it is fair to at least discuss if his message has started to fall on deaf ears in the locker room.

I will agree that I think the coaches are a significant piece of the problem and that signing Lavy to the 2 year extension prior to the season was a mistake. They should have waited until at least year 4 of his current deal first.

On the bright side my boy Fiala with 11:40 TOI third lowest for the forwards ahead of smith 10:40 and Boucher (who had a goal) 9:56

Not to mention he was a -1, 2 PIMs, 1 hit and zero shots but he hustled... More like a grinder stat line but people will keep pumping his tires.

I have a bigger issue with Smith and Wilson than I do Fiala. Fiala actually tries while Smith and Wilson are just there lately.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I said a while back and got laughed at.

Sadly he won't go away this year and probably not next. GMDP put all his eggs in lavys basket with how he decided to field the team.

Again you don't build a team around a coach. You build it around the team you have.

There is enough talent on this team that any coach should be able to get them to a playoff spot, yet they are terribly inconsistent. Maybe it's coaching. Maybe it's on the players. Maybe it's key injuries at bad times. Maybe it's a lot of things all coming together to make this a pretty awful first half of the season. I do know that there have been some highly questionable coaching decisions (namely, keeping Maz up to play back up when he clearly isn't an NHL-caliber goalie at all and Saros is). There have been some rather uninspiring performances from our top players, a lot of them actually. Maybe Poile can be blamed for trading Weber, but I don't think Weber makes this season much different.

At any rate, blaming Poile and the way the team is constructed is silly from where I sit. The talent is there in spades. The performance isn't.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Once again, you make Rinne move and he can't save a beach ball.

Notice most of our overtimes are the same, we have scoring chance after scoring chance where their goalie makes incredible saves, they come down against Rinne make one pass and score.

He can't track a puck and can't move side to side, that's why we don't win in overtime.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
There is enough talent on this team that any coach should be able to get them to a playoff spot, yet they are terribly inconsistent. Maybe it's coaching. Maybe it's on the players. Maybe it's key injuries at bad times. Maybe it's a lot of things all coming together to make this a pretty awful first half of the season. I do know that there have been some highly questionable coaching decisions (namely, keeping Maz up to play back up when he clearly isn't an NHL-caliber goalie at all and Saros is). There have been some rather uninspiring performances from our top players, a lot of them actually. Maybe Poile can be blamed for trading Weber, but I don't think Weber makes this season much different.

At any rate, blaming Poile and the way the team is constructed is silly from where I sit. The talent is there in spades. The performance isn't.

Honestly this is conformation of pointing fault to Poile IMO. Before the season started when he signed Weber and Pylon and said he was done and felt the team capable of making a cup run was the point he broke my back. No matter how talented a player is performance is critical for them sticking and what role they play.

It was and still is my opinion that there are too many young guys on the roster and this crippled the teams ability to make that cup run this year that everyone was boasting about pre-season. The young guys are talented and long term the team should be ok but we are talking 3 to 4 years here not a cup run this season or next. No one can deny that Lavi has not moved players around in an attempt to match them with a good situation, but when they are not performing there is no reason to not move them down the line-up. Look at Smith who was moved to the 4th line last night. Does anyone really believe it was to jump start scoring on the 4th?????? It is directly in relation to what the guy is doing on the ice. It is impossible for Lavi to put together lines right now for chemistry because short of Neal and to a point Arviddson no one is consistent enough to stick anywhere. Poile had the opportunity before the season to make a trade to improve the top 6 and not rely on the young unproven guys. Long term these youngsters should grow into good NHL players but not just yet. So yes Poile is responsible.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN

Notice most of our overtimes are the same, we have scoring chance after scoring chance where their goalie makes incredible saves, they come down against Rinne make one pass and score.

He can't track a puck and can't move side to side, that's why we don't win in overtime.

And you addressed one problem in Rinne. The other problem is if they come down on a 2 on 1, our defender is not stopping the pass across. Do that and Rinne doesn't have to move across, he can square himself to the guy with the puck and that gives him a much better chance at a save. In any sport when you have a 2 on 1 the defender has to take away the pass and we fail to do that time and time again.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham

I don't disagree with you completely on Rinne, but I do disagree with you on your overtime take- been thinking alot about this very topic and I will probably post more on this in the observations thread, but one thing I have noticed, especially when compared to other OT games around the league, it that we almost NEVER have "great scoring chances". Just go back and look at our OT games- sure, we have the puck almost the entire time- but we very rarely- if ever- have a great scoring chance where the opposing goalie has to save the game. We play too cautiously and I think it goes back to the mental thing of our past OT play being in our head.

Watch other OT games and you see both teams trading great chances back and forth before one finally goes in. That isn't happening for us- we are too busy skating the puck around the neutral zone just trying to hang on to possession.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
IMO there is enough blame to go around for all the players and coaches as to why they aren't clicking and winning games. Let's just hope they figure it out and soon and start winning games. Right now we should just stop focusing on getting into the playoffs and just start focus on winning the next game. This team needs to take one game at a time. They should start looking at every game as a playoff game.

Last edited:

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I don't disagree with you completely on Rinne, but I do disagree with you on your overtime take- been thinking alot about this very topic and I will probably post more on this in the observations thread, but one thing I have noticed, especially when compared to other OT games around the league, it that we almost NEVER have "great scoring chances". Just go back and look at our OT games- sure, we have the puck almost the entire time- but we very rarely- if ever- have a great scoring chance where the opposing goalie has to save the game. We play too cautiously and I think it goes back to the mental thing of our past OT play being in our head.

Watch other OT games and you see both teams trading great chances back and forth before one finally goes in. That isn't happening for us- we are too busy skating the puck around the neutral zone just trying to hang on to possession.

Disagree, last night we had a few great scoring chances in OT. They had one.

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
Hey well at least they won two games towards the end vs just one game. That's at least an upward trend even if I was looking more for a three or more game winning streak. So does this mean we will win against Chicago next game :)

That just means a third and fourth loss against Chciago and St. Louis probably to keep the 2 for 1 ratio.

I kid.

Tough Week. Preds play Chicago who just loss to Winnipeg and then the preds play the Blues who will have a day off going in.

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
Yes- for the love of all that is holy- PLEASE

The fact that you are posting non-stop about Fiala after this game reveals an irrational obsession.

We get your point- the horse is dead- please move on to some other negativity

I'm over people posting about him hustling. Do I tell them to stop?

I get it l, some people love Fiala. That horse is dead too. Go move to some other positivity.

But I can segway that into saying that 3 of his goals came against kinkaid and Pickard. AHL level goaltending like Maz.

The other two goals were against the flower and he's a current back up who the penguins pray vegas takes in the expansion draft.

Last edited:

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I'm over people posting about him hustling. Do I tell them to stop?

I get it l, some people love Fiala. That horse is dead too. Go move to some other positivity.

But I can segway that into saying that 3 of his goals came against kinkaid and Pickard. AHL level goaltending like Maz.

The other two goals were against the flower and he's a current back up who the penguins pray vegas takes in the expansion draft.

You act like people on here think Fiala is Patrick Kane or something. I haven't seen anyone on here go overboard on their praise for him. He is a 20 year old playing his first regular minutes and has shown enough to warrant some optimism. He HAS looked good out there at times. That's it- its not a big deal.

But you on the other hand have completely gone off the deep end on the opposite spectrum, pretty much calling him a bust at age 20.

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
You act like people on here think Fiala is Patrick Kane or something. I haven't seen anyone on here go overboard on their praise for him. He is a 20 year old playing his first regular minutes and has shown enough to warrant some optimism. He HAS looked good out there at times. That's it- its not a big deal.

But you on the other hand have completely gone off the deep end on the opposite spectrum, pretty much calling him a bust at age 20.
I don't agree

Reread every post game threat. People post that Fiala showed effort or worked hard.

So again why can't I say he hasn't produced? If I'm wrong I'll eat the proverbial hat but so far I'm right.

I've gone off deep ? Please explain. I said he's undersized and hasn't produced. I've never said he's a bust just not a top 6 player.

At that point why would you have a 5'10 190lbs player in the lineup?

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I like Fiala's potential and I like what I see from him at various levels....AHL, NHL, International play, whatever. He's inconsistent sometimes but hell, who isn't on our team? I don't think anyone is really gushing over him, they're just optimistic in the player he could become because of his age. It's fine to look at a 20 year old top prospect and search for the positives, not negatives. No big deal. If you can't buy alcohol yet, I'm not about to judge what kind of career you're gonna have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad