Toronto FC: HOME OPENER Sunday, May 10, 2015 AT 5PM Toronto FC Vs Houston On TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
MLS and their on the go rule creation/changes are alive and well :laugh:

Good riddance Defoe, terrible attitude. I like Altidore, should do well in this physical league. I want to keep Gilberto.

The backline needs a lot of work still, and I'm personally not sold on Bendik...

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
To be fair... its oranges and apples.

MLS attendance and prices don't compare to BPL, Serie A etc.

Sure with more talent you could up the attendance and prices here but the game just doesn't have the same drawing power it does overseas. I would assume the DP rule is in place to keep things sane payroll wise. The league has to stay profitable first and foremost.

I know that was part of my point too. We can't compete with those leagues. We get their leftovers so to speak.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
There are various twitter reports confirming that Giovinco has agreed to terms with TFC and will report in the July transfer window when his contract with Juventus expires.

I really hope the reports are accurate. Giovinco would be the attacking midfielder this club has lacked for years, and could be a star in MLS for years to come.

Mathew

Dec 12, 2013
Toronto
There are various twitter reports confirming that Giovinco has agreed to terms with TFC and will report in the July transfer window when his contract with Juventus expires.

I really hope the reports are accurate. Giovinco would be the attacking midfielder this club has lacked for years, and could be a star in MLS for years to come.

We are just waiting on Bez to announce the deals nothing is official until he does.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton

If Giovinco comes here, we just added an entire italian fan base.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton

What's great about Gio is he can play CAM or CF. He has a lot of games as a forward/striker. You could technically go out all offence with Altidore-Giovinco-Gilberto and still have Bradley feeding them through balls, This is how I would run it:

-----Altidore - Gilberto ------
---------- Giovinco------------
Findley---------------- Winger
----------- Bradley-------------
Morrow - Caldwell - CB - Creavalle

Bench: Dike, Osorio etc

Leafer220

Nov 23, 2011
We are just waiting on Bez to announce the deals nothing is official until he does.

Nothing will be announced until the new CBA is announced, as a 4th DP spot is apparently on the way. If they don't add a 4th DP spot, Gilberto would have to go, and you can't sign a DP unless you have the spot to do so.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
What's great about Gio is he can play CAM or CF. He has a lot of games as a forward/striker. You could technically go out all offence with Altidore-Giovinco-Gilberto and still have Bradley feeding them through balls, This is how I would run it:

-----Altidore - Gilberto ------
---------- Giovinco------------
Findley---------------- Winger
----------- Bradley-------------
Morrow - Caldwell - CB - Creavalle

Bench: Dike, Osorio etc

If that's the case, I'd personally shift Bradley up to central mid as opposed to a defensive mid, go out and get a defensive mid, and then run with 3 backs.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
why did they not go Roldan?

could have come away with Bono and Thomas pair plus the best mid prospect in the draft

and probably could have gotten their Simonin guy in the 2nd round

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
why did they not go Roldan?

could have come away with Bono and Thomas pair plus the best mid prospect in the draft

and probably could have gotten their Simonin guy in the 2nd round

to be fair, you can question any team past 5 or so for not taking roldan.. he's still falling

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
to be fair, you can question any team past 5 or so for not taking roldan.. he's still falling

i know but with the 3 first they could have taken the flyer on him

and still get the additional defender in the 2nd round

anyway i like that they got bono and thomas, teammates and thomas being from scarborough

Mathew

Dec 12, 2013
Toronto
Canada u-20 playing right now against elsavador for world cup Q if anyone is interested thefirstrow.eu for a live stream

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Not that surprised by the picks except #9. Apparently TFC went really off the board to pick him as he wasnt even in the list of players in the draft program. But TFC has done well in the past for going off the board for players like Hagglund and Plata

A lot of mock drafts had Bono going to TFC as hes by far the best keeper in the draft and a cheap young backup that could be a future starter as Bendik is pretty much league average. And Thomas is a Canadian CB so thats a predictable pick

My guess is TFC would have picked Fatai Alashe who is a defensive mid and center back and was projected to go around #10 but he got picked early. He was also a teammate of Chapman

The other picks:

- Wesley Charpie, a right back which is a position we needed a backup in
- Edwin Rivas, a striker/winger, I think TFC sees him as a winger

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad