Post-Game Talk: HOME OPENER: Canucks 2, Flames 1 (S/O win) (Mod warning in OP)

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i liked that the flames couldn't make pushes to overwhelm our defence as they usually do. they looked frustrated.

i also thought there was a lot less attempted intimidation by the flames than usual.

it could be we have a better defence or could be that getting run out of the rink two straight games by edmonton has deflated those guys.

my big concern is virtanen. he looked lost and he can't take a hit. he needs to go to utica.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Problem isn't with coaching, but with young players doing what young players do.

Flames fans were quick to pile on Bob Hartley last season......but when your team leads the leaque in goals-allowed, and with that defense--something else has to be going on....this Flames team will only go as far as guys like Bennett and Monahan take them, and you had to check the program to know if they were on the ice last night....hopefully Gully can turn them around...always pull for Canadian teams.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Edler is currently far better than "young Edler."

Thought he had a decent game last night.

he was fine.

i would be more precise though. current edler = better than the post-ehrhoff offensive quasi-oopsie jovo-edler of the later AV and the torts year. but i still think the edler of 2009 to 2011 was the best edler.

i think current edler is the most responsible but i don't see any confidence offensively. it's like he's mastered how to play without making mistakes. what i'd like to see is him slipping back into his ehrhoff's partner role, regain his confidence and youthful mojo, then reemerge as his pairing's second offensive option making good, safe outlets and maybe even bringing back the young edler who wasn't scared to crush guys.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Hutton still having trouble with the pivot. Getting beat or nearly so on the outside a lot.

That's the book on Hutton. Happened so many times last year and I noticed it twice last night , once really bad. Haven't worked on it I guess.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
i liked that the flames couldn't make pushes to overwhelm our defence as they usually do. they looked frustrated.

i also thought there was a lot less attempted intimidation by the flames than usual.

it could be we have a better defence or could be that getting run out of the rink two straight games by edmonton has deflated those guys.

my big concern is virtanen. he looked lost and he can't take a hit. he needs to go to utica.

They don't get hit in Utica?

TacitEndorsement

Jul 2, 2009
players don't get lost or hit quite as easily in the ahl as they do at the nhl.

I think the point is it would be better for him to work on parts of his game in Utica, than try and figure it out here while potentially costing us games.

Also, have you seen that Utica forward group? Imagine how many big minutes and situations Jake would play in down there.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Flames fans were quick to pile on Bob Hartley last season......but when your team leads the leaque in goals-allowed, and with that defense--something else has to be going on....this Flames team will only go as far as guys like Bennett and Monahan take them, and you had to check the program to know if they were on the ice last night....hopefully Gully can turn them around...always pull for Canadian teams.

To be fair, the Flames goaltending situation was comparable to the Canucks D last season: a dumpster fire.

That said, the Flames could use a little more Jonathan Toews and a little less Patrick Kane with their youngsters, if you get what I mean.

I do think that there are some coaching issues, which is to be expected when a new coach is brought in. Calgary looked to be a little undisciplined with the bench/changes as, IIRC, they got hit twice in their season opener with a bench minor and a bad change.

I imagine that stuff will get sorted out, but there are larger issues with the Flames going on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad