Post-Game Talk: HOME OPENER: Canucks 2, Flames 1 (S/O win) (Mod warning in OP)

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
i'd love to see, when hutton is ready for added responsibility and if/when larsen proves himself to not be a liability at ES:

hutton - tanev
edler - larsen
sbisa/tryamkin - gudbranson

tanev to help hutton freelance and develop his offensive game by providing the peace of mind of a high level defensive partner

larson to hopefully be a good ES puck mover and kind of a poor man's ehrhoff, letting edler play within himself, regain his confidence, and slide solidly back into the young edler role which he was so good at

large gentlemen on the third pair

Honestly, I like what we've got. Don't fix what ain't broke.

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Gudbranson
Sbisa-Larsen

Horrorshow

Jun 1, 2009
Sedans looked pretty slow for most of the game, but holy moly, that shift. Utter dominance. Shows how smart and patient they are as they know when to take the shot, when to cycle, when to attack the defence. They still think the game on a higher level than probably 98% of NHL players, and even if their legs can't move as fast as they once did, their excellent conditioning allows them to have shifts like that with 5 minutes left in the third. Erickson wasn't flashy, but compliments the sedins very well, as expected.

The rest of the forwards were all pretty meh to bad. Granlund-Sven had some moments, but if they're going to play together they need some muscle on that line to help them retrieve the puck and create space for them to work their skill plays. But I honestly don't know who that would be on our roster. Virtanen just does not offer that at this point in his career and he looked pretty lost last night. The hit from Bouma was worrisome.

The "fourth line" provided a whole lot of nothing. Feel bad for Bo, and even worse, it looks like he's trying to do too much because he thinks (ie. knows) his line mates can't keep up with him, and that hurts his game. It actually looks like it's doing the complete opposite effect WD is intending. Weird, right?

Defence was solid, if unspectacular. Pizza only gave the puck up to Gaudreau alone in the slot once, so that wasn't too too bad. Pleasantly surprised by Larsen, tho I'm not sure I love seeing him on PP1. Would prefer Edler there, but willing to test it out a few more games.

Miller was great. Has it been decided if he gets a shut out for that yet?

Horrorshow

Jun 1, 2009
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Gully doesn't make it through the year. The Flames look BAD. They need to right that ship in a hurry.

iloveloov*

1337 intangibles
Apr 24, 2013
Leafs & Canucks
Our top line reminded me of 3 Gokus hiding their full strength until the very end. I wouldn't be surprised if Eriksson's own goal was on purpose to help the Flames.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
i'd love to see, when hutton is ready for added responsibility and if/when larsen proves himself to not be a liability at ES:

hutton - tanev
edler - larsen
sbisa/tryamkin - gudbranson

tanev to help hutton freelance and develop his offensive game by providing the peace of mind of a high level defensive partner

larson to hopefully be a good ES puck mover and kind of a poor man's ehrhoff, letting edler play within himself, regain his confidence, and slide solidly back into the young edler role which he was so good at

large gentlemen on the third pair

Edler is currently far better than "young Edler."

Thought he had a decent game last night.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
by the way Tkachuk is looking he like he is going to develop into a Ferland type of player. I'm glad we didn't draft him since he looks like a passenger.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
by the way Tkachuk is looking he like he is going to develop into a Ferland type of player. I'm glad we didn't draft him since he looks like a passenger.

I like his edge but we have a similar player already in Virtanen. And Jake is a way better skater.

We needed a physically ready dman with Juolevi's skillset...just a shame that Chychrun fell off like he did. Although he's in the NHL now so who knows

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

He's 18 in his 3rd game. And nothing like Ferland.

If Juolevi was in our lineup, he'd look like an overwhelmed future Lukas Krajicek-type player.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
He's 18 in his 3rd game. And nothing like Ferland.

If Juolevi was in our lineup, he'd look like an overwhelmed future Lukas Krajicek-type player.

Agreed. He even had a couple chances that he put wide. Looked no worse than Virtanen out there...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad