GDT: Home Game 2 : Flyers at Ducks - Saturday 7PM PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Vermette to win the faceoff.
Cogliano to keep up with their wings.

The theory was sound. The execution sucked.

The problem with the theory is there is no real backup plan for a clean face-off loss. You'd have to get Vermette off the ice immediately, without giving Philadelphia an opportunity for a 3-on-2 opportunity.

And even if you win the face-off, you have to feed it to Fowler, so Cogliano and Vermette can get off.

I think it's too predictable. You limit your options, because Cogliano has no offensive game, and Vermette has no game. Carlyle didn't think that through.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Yeah. At best they'd survive until Rakell got on next. Sure as hell aren't going to score with them.

Exactly.

I'm wondering if it's an alternative to Kesler-Silfverberg, which I know Carlyle liked for 3 on 3, but it's all wrong. That duo could score and play defense, and of course Kesler was a beast in the face-off dot. This duo can't do either. Even if Vermette wins the face-off, there are few options there.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Vermette needs to go to the 3rd line he brings nothing other than faceoffs. Even Wagner puts out more effort. Kase has to go to the 1st and Cogliano to the second. Kase will give Rackell someone with speed and he seems to be stepping up this year. Silfverberg needs Cogliano... at least there will be chemistry.

Boll has to go. We have only AHLers on the 4th line so they better be fast and handle the puck. Just fill it with nats that pester the other team.When he wasn't getting beat Boll would just throw the puck anywhere with no purpose and it would be a turnover.

We were lucky to get the point.

John

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Vermette Cogs Fowler was an idiotic decision.

Rakell Montour Fowler
Rakell Perry Montour
Rakell Perry Fowler
Rakell Kase Fowler
Rakell Silfverberg Fowler
Rakell Silfverberg Montour
Rakell Kase Montour
Cogs Silfverberg Fowler
Cogs Silfverberg Montour

I rather have had freaking Wagner out there over Vermette this game.

DarthYenik

Sep 15, 2011
California
Gibby looked great. Not much support otherwise. Fowler looked great on that goal, too.

My BBQ waffle fries were good, btw.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
You would have to think that a player like Kerdiles or Kossila or even Carrick/Roy would bring more to the table than some of the players we are currently playing?

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Vermette Cogs Fowler was an idiotic decision.

Rakell Montour Fowler
Rakell Perry Montour
Rakell Perry Fowler
Rakell Kase Fowler
Rakell Silfverberg Fowler
Rakell Silfverberg Montour
Rakell Kase Montour
Cogs Silfverberg Fowler
Cogs Silfverberg Montour

I rather have had freaking Wagner out there over Vermette this game.

Vermette was very good on faceoffs tonight, 62%. He took 21 faceoffs. Rakell took 13, the rest of the team combined took 22. This wasn't nearly as idiotic as people are making out. Rakell would have lost that faceoff, and Perry on the ice would have been a disaster against who Philly had on the ice. And the Fowler Montour pairing is a non-starter, because it means you rotate to...I guess Manson? Certainly not Bieksa, Holzer, or Beauchemin.

The team is decimated. You either run with a lineup you know is going to lose the faceoff and hope they don't get scored on (hardly a sure thing with those combos) or try to win the faceoff and get the line change. They're going to lose a LOT of OT games (again) with this lineup.

Reactions: Boogernaut
Oct 18, 2011
Tell me why we couldn't have kept Jones up to get some experience while we deal with these injuries... Kossila too, seriously it's a joke Bob is letting this happen.

I'm just not going to touch the defense and Randy's usage there.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Given how many people are out, any points feels like a win.

That pass from Kase. He's looking like he might be the biggest draft day steal in the team's history.

Reactions: Boogernaut

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
Looking at highlights, Gibson made some insane saves in the 1st period.

Tell me why we couldn't have kept Jones up to get some experience while we deal with these injuries... Kossila too, seriously it's a joke Bob is letting this happen.

I'm just not going to touch the defense and Randy's usage there.
Wouldn't be ideal if he started ordering RC who to play.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
You would have to think that a player like Kerdiles or Kossila or even Carrick/Roy would bring more to the table than some of the players we are currently playing?

Yeah...

Waivers: Boll, Shaw, Grant

Call up: Sabourin, Kerdiles, Kossila

Wagner is playing well. Rasmussen looks somewhat useful as a depth player, and I won't pick on Fiore since it was his first NHL game.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I think people are very much underestimating the differacne between the NHL and the AHL level. I mean, sure it doesn't hurt to give some of our young skill players a look, but it's not like we have Clayton Keller and Nolan Patrick knocking on the door.

Even the likes of Grant and Shaw have proven to be equally or more productive than the likes of Kerdiles, Kossila and Roy (and way ahead of Sabourin) in the minors. Actually both were also quite productive playing juniors and college as well. Nothing about Fiore's QMJHL numbers suggests that he's already a better player than them for the highest level. And his NHL debut did nothing to suggest it either. I'm not writing the kid off. I'm just asking people to be realistic with their expectations.

Again, it wouldn't hurt to give a couple of our AHL'ers a look, but don't get dissappointed when they turn out to be no better than Ben Maxwell. I doubt anyone even remembers him at this point...

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Possession is everything in OT. Vermette is the only guy who gives us a shot at it. Wasn't the wrong call.

Tied the game, lost the gimmick, Gibson is a true guitar hero this season so far. We need to just keep piling up points until the actual team is here.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I think people are very much underestimating the differacne between the NHL and the AHL level. I mean, sure it doesn't hurt to give some of our young skill players a look, but it's not like we have Clayton Keller and Nolan Patrick knocking on the door.

Even the likes of Grant and Shaw have proven to be equally or more productive than the likes of Kerdiles, Kossila and Roy (and way ahead of Sabourin) in the minors. Actually both were also quite productive playing juniors and college as well. Nothing about Fiore's QMJHL numbers suggests that he's already a better player than them for the highest level. And his NHL debut did nothing to suggest it either. I'm not writing the kid off. I'm just asking people to be realistic with their expectations.

Again, it wouldn't hurt to give a couple of our AHL'ers a look, but don't get dissappointed when they turn out to be no better than Ben Maxwell. I doubt anyone even remembers him at this point...
Boll gets 5 useless minutes per night. You can make the argument that somehow one of our AHLers could do worse, but you wisely didn't.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
To get a point with the lineup we are icing is not bad. Pretty much the whole team was horrendous though Gibson was the reason we made it to OT. The D was brutal, Beauchemin got walked how many times? I also thought Montour, Fowler (outside of the goal) and Manson had rough games. Our best forwards were all invisible, Kase and Wagner were the only forwards I would say stood out in a good way.

Last edited:

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010

I don't think Shaw or Grant have comparable numbers at all. Shaw has been below average in the AHL his entire career, while Grant's numbers are ok (like Kerdiles and Carrick). I think Grant has been useless early on, but I wouldn't mind him as a 13th forward (he'd be a hell of a lot more effective then say Boll for example).

AHL:
Grant: 0.57 PPG
Shaw: 0.38 PPG

Kossila: 0.74 PPG
Roy: 0.70 PPG
Tropp: 0.67 PPG (Tropp also outscores Shaw and Grant at NHL level)
Kerdiles: 0.58 PPG
Carrick: 0.53 PPG
Sabourin: 0.28 PPG

But regardless, it's not about saying they are going to be NHL players or not - as you said they may well not be NHL level, but it's about this being the perfect chance for them to get some of these players NHL action with how depleted the line up is to see what they can do (there isn't going to be a better chance in a while for them) and see if they can contribute to an NHL line up. Anaheim doesn't need a bottom 6 that includes Wagner/Boll/Grant/Rasmussen/Shaw all at once - you already know at least a couple of them are not NHL quality players so you can afford to sit out some of them and give younger players with some offensive upside a go (IE Kossila/Roy/Kerdiles) to see what they can do, or see if say a Tropp (who has good numbers at AHL level and better NHL numbers then some Anaheim bottom 6 players) can be a good bottom 6 player for Anaheim.

If they aren't an upgrade, then that can happen - but at least you had a shot with them to see what they can do rather then being left wondering. I'd sure as hell rather see a couple of them in the everyday line up right now then the likes of Boll/Shaw/Grant.

EDIT: Just to clarify I don't mean to give up on the young players permanently, if they don't look close to an NHL level that is far enough and they need more AHL time. Not that we should discard them because they don't look like good NHL players in their 2nd pro seasons (for Kossila/Roy) :laugh:

Last edited:

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
The upcoming guys aren't going to get any time because the Ducks aren't going to risk losing an actual NHL player to waivers for a potential NHL player who didn't do much in preseason. Grant isn't getting waived right after signing. Shaw had 10 points in 55 games for us last year, he's not going down. Rasmussen is a 4C being asked to play 3C. Boll apparently has pictures of someone.

Team depth is already stretched to the breaking point. These players are trying (very) hard and just got 3/4 points. Why mess with team chemistry until you have to?

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
The upcoming guys aren't going to get any time because the Ducks aren't going to risk losing an actual NHL player to waivers for a potential NHL player who didn't do much in preseason. Grant isn't getting waived right after signing. Shaw had 10 points in 55 games for us last year, he's not going down. Rasmussen is a 4C being asked to play 3C. Boll apparently has pictures of someone.

Team depth is already stretched to the breaking point. These players are trying (very) hard and just got 3/4 points. Why mess with team chemistry until you have to?
I think you could safely waive Grant and Boll for starters without having to worry about a claim (if you want to keep Shaw that's fair enough, and I'd keep Rasmussen as he has shown he can be an NHL 4th liner despite his crappy start), I don't see teams jumping at the chance to get an ECHL level player and a 13th forward/AHL player which would then give you space on the roster to do something with the younger players. And honestly, we've played 1 good period out of 6 so far and ok fair enough the team is heavily depleted but I'd say the only bottom 6 player who's come out of it so far looking good has been Wagner, other then him it's been bad penalties, bad play and limited ice time (in Boll and Grant's case), I don't think changing that up a little by adding possible scoring touch is going to adversely affect the team at all. I suspect once we play some actual good teams and not bottom feeders and the bottom 6 gets even more exposed and continues to be an offensive blackhole we'll see some roster movement with a couple of the younger forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad