GDT: Home Game 2 : Flyers at Ducks - Saturday 7PM PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I think you could safely waive Grant and Boll for starters without having to worry about a claim (if you want to keep Shaw that's fair enough, and I'd keep Rasmussen as he has shown he can be an NHL 4th liner despite his crappy start), I don't see teams jumping at the chance to get an ECHL level player and a 13th forward/AHL player which would then give you space on the roster to do something with the younger players. And honestly, we've played 1 good period out of 6 so far and ok fair enough the team is heavily depleted but I'd say the only bottom 6 player who's come out of it so far looking good has been Wagner, other then him it's been bad penalties, bad play and limited ice time (in Boll and Grant's case), I don't think changing that up a little by adding possible scoring touch is going to adversely affect the team at all. I suspect once we play some actual good teams and not bottom feeders and the bottom 6 gets even more exposed and continues to be an offensive blackhole we'll see some roster movement with a couple of the younger forwards.

I want Boll gone, I think I've been clear on that, but he will get replaced with Sabourin, which I've also been clean on being for. Grant I don't think has been bad enough to get demoted yet. Anaheim has enough trouble getting any free agents as it is. Sending a guy down after 2 games so that Kossila can center Boll and play 4-5 minutes isn't going to change anything. Someone needs to figure out what RC thinks he's doing with Boll, then slap him with a large fish.

200.gif

Last edited:

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I don't think Shaw or Grant have comparable numbers at all. Shaw has been below average in the AHL his entire career, while Grant's numbers are ok (like Kerdiles and Carrick). I think Grant has been useless early on, but I wouldn't mind him as a 13th forward (he'd be a hell of a lot more effective then say Boll for example).

AHL:
Grant: 0.57 PPG
Shaw: 0.38 PPG

Kossila: 0.74 PPG
Roy: 0.70 PPG
Tropp: 0.67 PPG (Tropp also outscores Shaw and Grant at NHL level)
Kerdiles: 0.58 PPG
Carrick: 0.53 PPG
Sabourin: 0.28 PPG

But regardless, it's not about saying they are going to be NHL players or not - as you said they may well not be NHL level, but it's about this being the perfect chance for them to get some of these players NHL action with how depleted the line up is to see what they can do (there isn't going to be a better chance in a while for them) and see if they can contribute to an NHL line up. Anaheim doesn't need a bottom 6 that includes Wagner/Boll/Grant/Rasmussen/Shaw all at once - you already know at least a couple of them are not NHL quality players so you can afford to sit out some of them and give younger players with some offensive upside a go (IE Kossila/Roy/Kerdiles) to see what they can do, or see if say a Tropp (who has good numbers at AHL level and better NHL numbers then some Anaheim bottom 6 players) can be a good bottom 6 player for Anaheim.

If they aren't an upgrade, then that can happen - but at least you had a shot with them to see what they can do rather then being left wondering. I'd sure as hell rather see a couple of them in the everyday line up right now then the likes of Boll/Shaw/Grant.

EDIT: Just to clarify I don't mean to give up on the young players permanently, if they don't look close to an NHL level that is far enough and they need more AHL time. Not that we should discard them because they don't look like good NHL players in their 2nd pro seasons (for Kossila/Roy) :laugh:

I didn't look as far back to include their whole AHL careers, just the last couple of seasons as it's a better indicator of where they stand now.

Grant has 64 points in his last 59 AHL games. Shaw has 20 points (15 goals) in his last 34. Kossila has 52 in 69. Kerdiles 42 in 72. Tropp 93 in 128.

Tropp is just another "useless plug" at the NHL level though, which further proves the point I'm trying to make. These guys have more skill than one might think, it just happens to be so that the NHL level is a very good league and a big step from the minors.

Short answer, I simply disagree with any statement saying these "skill players" are without doubt better than these "useless plugs" until they actually prove it. A lot of skilled AHL'ers aren't able to play their game against NHL competition at all.

With that being said, I agree when you're saying that this is a good time to give someone like Kossila a good look. And of course good AHL players can't be written off either until they prove themselves useless. So it obviosly goes both ways.

But truth be told, none of our forwards in San Diego is considered overly promising right now. Anyone of them carving out an NHL career with the Ducks could even be considered a bonus. They are far behind all these young Coyotes forwards Ducks fans were probably drooling over in the premiere.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Boll gets 5 useless minutes per night. You can make the argument that somehow one of our AHLers could do worse, but you wisely didn't.

I've never been a Boll defender. With Liambas and Sabourin in San Diego he would hardly even fill a purpose there.

But some posts recently gives the impression that we currently have a bunch of blue chip prospects who would immediately make this team better. Benching Boll is one thing, but I'm not so convinced that the likes of Kossila, Kerdiles and Sabourin would be an improvment over Rasmussen, Shaw and Grant as some others are.

Sabourin in particular to me makes no sense. People call half our team useless plugs, but wants to recall another grinder/enforcer hybrid in Sabourin? Or do people simply want it to happen because they know RC is gonna dress an enforcer either way, so they'd rather it be Sabourin than Boll?

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I've never been a Boll defender. With Liambas and Sabourin in San Diego he would hardly even fill a purpose there.

But some posts recently gives the impression that we currently have a bunch of blue chip prospects who would immediately make this team better. Benching Boll is one thing, but I'm not so convinced that the likes of Kossila, Kerdiles and Sabourin would be an improvment over Rasmussen, Shaw and Grant as some others are.

Sabourin in particular to me makes no sense. People call half our team useless plugs, but wants to recall another grinder/enforcer hybrid in Sabourin? Or do people simply want it to happen because they know RC is gonna dress an enforcer either way, so they'd rather it be Sabourin than Boll?

Mainly this. But Sabourin has aggression to his game similar to Wagner, he isn't just a useless face puncher. He also showed some skill with puck handling, getting shots on net, and net front presence in preseason. I'm under no illusion that he's anything but a borderline 4th line player, but he seemed to bring everything that a borderline 4th line player is supposed to bring. He also has a reputation for defending teammates, which is what you want your facepuncher to actually do, and ours doesn't.

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
Mainly this. But Sabourin has aggression to his game similar to Wagner, he isn't just a useless face puncher. He also showed some skill with puck handling, getting shots on net, and net front presence in preseason. I'm under no illusion that he's anything but a borderline 4th line player, but he seemed to bring everything that a borderline 4th line player is supposed to bring. He also has a reputation for defending teammates, which is what you want your facepuncher to actually do, and ours doesn't.
All of this is true, but RC is just an oldtimer set in his ways. He preached change in his introduction presser, but it's very much obvious that's just the talk.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
all things aside....wagner has really impressed me in the 1st two games...looks comfortable and hungry to play in the NHL

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
As of now no way do you take Kase out of the lineup under any circumstances. He's about to move past Ritchie on the depth chart if he continues this. Wagner too

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
As of now no way do you take Kase out of the lineup under any circumstances. He's about to move past Ritchie on the depth chart if he continues this. Wagner too
Kase is definitely above Ritchie at the moment, hopefully the coach sees it that way as well.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
He was probably the worst guy on the ice, nerves were clearly getting to him. Trying to throw hits, but fumbled pucks and had some really bad turnovers. Not even close to how he looked in preseason.

That bad, huh? I guess we won't be seeing much of him this season... :help:

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
That bad, huh? I guess we won't be seeing much of him this season... :help:

He was trying too hard, clearly had nerves. I'd suspect he'll get another chance tomorrow. Playing with two plugs isn't going to help him. He was trying to be physical rather than play a skill game as well, that's not who he's been.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Kase is definitely above Ritchie at the moment, hopefully the coach sees it that way as well.

Kase is good, but he easily gets pushed around. Yet, seemingly through pure determenation and an active stick, he manages to win some puck battles along the boards. He doesn't have much of a frame to grow into, but I hope he's working with some fitness coach to build a strong core and lower base. That would serve his game well, imo.

Reactions: Ducks DVM
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->