Confirmed with Link: Holy Crap, They Actually Make a Move! (Guentzel and Ty Smith to Carolina for Bunting + Ponomaryov + Koivunen + Lucius + Conditional 2024 2nd)

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I trust the Borg to not panic regarding Guentzel's status. They sit in the driver seat here. There is zero pressure to have to sign Guentzel. We're already a great team without him. He's a cherry on top, and right now his chemistry with the team is unknown. The Borg prefers to do right by the player by extending him if he chooses, and letting him talk to other teams if he doesn't. Everyone at this point knows we won't pay the you suck tax, and also that we might have different metrics for pay scale than other teams.

We're able to pull off this style largely because guys respect Brind'Amour as a coach and because we are a very good team at rehabilitating and getting max value out of guys who don't look as good on other clubs. I think at this point the Canes have enough of a track record with "misfit toys" that we can own it. Other teams said the same when we acquired Kuznetsov.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

Hes on the ice

I like the lines. Full admission that our second line has essentially been Necas. That’s a huge chemistry shift to add two top six guys this late so it makes sense you’d put the two of them together to let everyone else still play their game. I’d put them on the second pp together too.

We just need Necas to not change how he plays with those two. They can figure it out how to play with him.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I like the lines. Full admission that our second line has essentially been Necas. That’s a huge chemistry shift to add two top six guys this late so it makes sense you’d put the two of them together to let everyone else still play their game. I’d put them on the second pp together too.

We just need Necas to not change how he plays with those two. They can figure it out how to play with him.

Every Pens fan has been saying that Guentzel's superpower is the timing of his game, being in the right place at the right time by reading the play.

Can't think of a better profile for a guy to play with Necas. Imagining Necas streaking down the right side and doing his wraparound thing and having an elite game-thinker reading off of that. Ooh baby.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014

Nachos mah boi you been carrying the load alone so long we got you some help.

Be not weary

baconandbread

Oct 30, 2019
I'm all for trying this line.... personally I think Guentzel and Aho together makes the most sense. Two smart players that see the game well, then have a more defensive forward with Necas and Kuznetsov to let them cheat code.

Reactions: geehaad

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Priority #1 should be 8 years for Jarvis. He’s worth the short-term pain for the long-term savings. Other decisions should flow from that rather than the reverse.
Yep. 64 point pace while playing with Staal and Martinook for a significant amount of the year, and being very responsible in all zones. Plus he's a f***ing beauty of a human being in the locker room. I want to keep both him and Necas but Jarvis is definitely priority #1. Priority #2 I'd say is extending Slavin after the season once he's eligible, will be important to know what his future cap hits are for other moves we make (i.e. Guentzel, Pesce, Skjei decisions).

LEEROY JENKINS!!

...And he's gone.
I hereby declare LeRoy Jenkins as Necas' new nickname as it perfectly encapsulates him as a player.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Skins & Finns
The O'Neill - Francis - Kapanen line was nothing to slough at. I loved that mix of styles on that line, and Francis was the ultimate glue guy.

Necas with Guentzel and Kuzy is probably more talented than any other line in total we've ever put together, but Lord knows how that talent will click. It's possible it's lights out in game one, or it's also possible it's a defensive trainwreck and Rod can't keep it together a whole game. I won't expect much from the newcomers as they adjust to the system and will be pleasantly surprised with good production if we get it.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
From Friedman's thoughts:

Carolina was the team to beat for Guentzel from the beginning because the Penguins liked their prospects. If there was ever a year for the Hurricanes to veer from organizational obstinance to go for a rental, it was this one. It got to a point where the only team that could outbid them for the winger was the Rangers, but New York made a calculated decision not to include the prospect(s) Pittsburgh desired — although the Penguins gave New York ample time to change its mind.

It's always the f***ing Rangers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad