Speculation: Holtby or Neuvirth?

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Whats done is done. Varley could very well be a top end NFL goalie, but I am no fan of his type of attitude. Good riddence.

In regards to Holtby and Neuvy, my Neuvy fandom aside, it would be great if one of them could sieze the job as theirs. Not going to be easy with the current state of play from the blueliners, but this abbreviated season is perfect to determine which of the 2 young goalies are keepers. If none show to be worthy of being the starter than GMGM should move on and look for a way to obtain an established net minder in the offseason.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Is that what he was demanding?

Signing him to what he got in Colorado and going into the season with him as the starter doesn't seem all that apocalyptic.

He demanded both a desired salary and the number 1 job. The salary part I can deal with but demanding the job without actually earning it is a bit much IMO...

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
i think actually the two demands were one in the same.

first he demanded the title. second he wanted a contract locked in the title. meanwhile the caps wanted him to prove he could play healthy and earn the job. that included earning the contract.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
if anyone reminds me of kolzig, its holtby. i dont think that neuvirth should have started the home opener. holtby's playoff run earned him that game. a bad first game didnt earn him the bench as the number 1 goalie.

i think holtby has been anything but sharp and thats true of the team as a whole. the caps have 5 goals this season. ward, ward, wolski, hendricks and brouwer. carlson got used for a goal last night. backstrom got burned. carlson had another goal bounced off his skate. ovechkin has zero goals and hasnt really come close based on my memory.

it will get better.

neuvirth well get the play the next one and if the caps win, then he will keep playing. if they lose again then holtby is back.

i'll admit that after the lockout i dont have a lot of patience for this. if they are going to suck, i am not going to waste my time on them. not ready to make other plans yet

Agree with this post for the most part... but on the part I've underlined.... clearly (to me, anyways) at this point with 2 young goalies, both are gonna see their fair share of play, even if one or both turns in a string of poorly played games.

AND.... unless a deal was/is imminent and we're looking to add a Luongo or his peer, I think you can read a lot into the team going with 2 young goalies.

I think it could be said fairly that George is writing in this season as a rebuild.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Agree with this post for the most part... but on the part I've underlined.... clearly (to me, anyways) at this point with 2 young goalies, both are gonna see their fair share of play, even if one or both turns in a string of poorly played games.

AND.... unless a deal was/is imminent and we're looking to add a Luongo or his peer, I think you can read a lot into the team going with 2 young goalies.

I think it could be said fairly that George is writing in this season as a rebuild.

What are you talking about? It's not like he went and got a bunch of crappy guys on one year deals, or anything else that would signal a quick retool.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

I agree with this. GMGM and Teddy didn't know what the NHL would look like after the CBA was ironed out. Got some guys playing on 1 year deals. So why not use a 48 game season to see what you have in your 2 young goalies?

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
I say we keep Holtby and trade Neuvy, MattyP and other pieces to get it done for Luongo and have that bang move made maybe send shockwaves through the players.... idk really im just throwing **** at the wall

I Am Score*

I say we keep Holtby and trade Neuvy, MattyP and other pieces to get it done for Luongo and have that bang move made maybe send shockwaves through the players.... idk really im just throwing **** at the wall

If you want to trade Holtby/Neuvirth you should at least do it for a forward and a veteran goalie not named Luongo.

Come to think of it, trading a goaltender to Calgary for those pieces mentioned earlier would work out extremely well.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I think last night showed that it doesn't matter who is in net. Its hard to stop a puck with a member of the other team sitting in your lap.

Halpysback*

i think actually the two demands were one in the same.

first he demanded the title. second he wanted a contract locked in the title. meanwhile the caps wanted him to prove he could play healthy and earn the job. that included earning the contract.

You mean how Green earned 4x5.25 after one good season? Or Mr. Plus/Minus's four year contract?

Varlamov had a playoffs and a year of starter-level play. He had a bad year due to injuries but I can't really fault him for thinking he progressed past square ****ing one.

Apparently he was right about what he was worth. Avs certainly think so.

RECsGuy*

You mean how Green earned 4x5.25 after one good season? Or Mr. Plus/Minus's four year contract?

Varlamov had a playoffs and a year of starter-level play. He had a bad year due to injuries but I can't really fault him for thinking he progressed past square ****ing one.

Apparently he was right about what he was worth. Avs certainly think so.

Let Varlamov make the playoffs with Colorado before declaring his antics correct.

He hasn't won a meaningful game since leaving the Caps.

I Am Score*

Let Varlamov make the playoffs with Colorado before declaring his antics correct.

That's kind of hard figuring Colorado sucks. You can have an amazing goaltender and not make the playoffs.

Ex: Buffalo, Calgary, Minnesota,

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
Varly is gone people need to just let the ship sail already were we really ready to let him sit there and hold out unless he was going to be the number 1 goalie? I mean for all **** our coaches have gotten for giving ice time when not really deserving people are really arguing for Varly here? He said he wanted to be declared the starter and get paid like one without proving anything. He may turn out to be a fine NHL goalie but given the situation I would make the trade every day of the week

Halpysback*

It's a bit of a misleading metric.

We trade Ovechkin for crap to Calgary, he plays lights out but they're still a perennial 9th place team. Does that reflect badly on his play?

We've seen what Varlamov can do in the playoffs and he's now becoming consistent in the regular season. Projecting him in the playoffs isn't really as much of a stretch as people are making it out to be.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Varly is gone people need to just let the ship sail already were we really ready to let him sit there and hold out unless he was going to be the number 1 goalie? I mean for all **** our coaches have gotten for giving ice time when not really deserving people are really arguing for Varly here? He said he wanted to be declared the starter and get paid like one without proving anything. He may turn out to be a fine NHL goalie but given the situation I would make the trade every day of the week

Thank you...well said.

Tyler Durden

Sep 18, 2009
With Neuvirth winning tonight do you think Oates rides the hot hand and lets him keep playing as long he is winning? 4 games this week do you think it will be Neuvirth playing in all 4? 3 of them? Or splits the 4 games with Holtby?

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
With Neuvirth winning tonight do you think Oates rides the hot hand and lets him keep playing as long he is winning? 4 games this week do you think it will be Neuvirth playing in all 4? 3 of them? Or splits the 4 games with Holtby?

Probably play Holtby against Toronto and let Neuvy play Ottawa Philly and Pittsburgh.

I Am Score*

Gaiz, but we need a starting goaltender! 1 goal is unacceptable against Buffalo..

:shakehead

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
nothing has changed. neuvirth surely will play the next game but both will play. id be stunned if either played mor than 60 percent without an injury happening. its just that many here think holtby is good and neuvirth is not and the idea of neuvirth playing well enough to play more games was hard for them to consider.

i am not sure which one is better.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

I suspect Neuvirth will be in as long as we keep winning and he plays well. We need every point now and gotta ride the hot hand.

B

regard

Nov 9, 2009
Staal Debates
My reason for asking is obviously selfish. lol I drafted Holtby in Fantasy Hockey since I thought he was the starter in the playoffs and I am wondering if I should drop him for Neuvirth.

Wasnt judging the talent of either player. lol

Also thanks guys.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Neuvirth has been stellar. I'd credit him for the win at NJ more than anything else. He made some good saves yesterday too. It will be interesting to see Holtby back in with a lineup that has a better idea of what's expected of them. But right now I'm guessing Neuvirth is it until he proves otherwise.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
i would not drop holtby if i had him. but i would pick up neuvirth. they are going to roughly split the play. the one playing better will play more, but as both goalies are good i would expect the one in the lineup for 3 out of 4 games to go back and forth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad