Speculation: Holtby or Neuvirth?

I Am Score*

Okay, we've had a long history of fighting over which goalies should be the long term starter for the franchise. Sometimes it was Theodore, other times Varlamov, other times Neuvirth, and now apparently Holtby is in the spotlight.

But do you guys think it will last? Who do you think will have the better career as a starter in Washington?

Neuvirth or Holtby? Who is the next "Kolzig" for our franchise? I personally like them both and it's hard to decide. I think Holtby has alot more upside but Neuvirth is more consistent if you stick with him. I like both alot though and it's awesome to have both great young guys in net.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Holtby should of been pulled in both games. Not just for the weak goals, but to wake the ****ing team up.

The above leads me to believe Oates is too close to Holtby and were ****ed.

I Am Score*

Holtby should of been pulled in both games. Not just for the weak goals, but to wake the ****ing team up.

The above leads me to believe Oates is too close to Holtby and were ****ed.

He could believe he has a bigger upside though.

I really like Neuvirth as he reminds me of Kolzig. Which you can obviously tell is my favorite player ever, but it's so hard choosing goaltenders it's stressful. I feel Varlamov will come back to bite us, I hope Holtby/Neuvirth don't end up the same way.

Also we can't handle Luongo's contract and it would be a virtual no go in my mind. We would have to give up at least Neuvirth and probably Johansson. Not worth it.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Oilers fans after the playoffs were suggesting Holtby for MPS, still would love that trade...

Holtby though has been highly overrated. I guarantee every team already know to tell their players he has terrible rebound control.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
We felt that Neuvy should have been given the start tonite... but water under the bridge. Both g are gonna have to stand on their heads...and the d is gonna have improve drastically. At some point we may want to add a veteran goalie...maybe sooner than later. Really ought to consider going back to Hunters system.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
Oilers fans after the playoffs were suggesting Holtby for MPS, still would love that trade...

Holtby though has been highly overrated. I guarantee every team already know to tell their players he has terrible rebound control.

He is still a kid... better to keep him and bring in a vet to play in tandom.

Brad Tolliver

Terror Goes Into
Feb 17, 2004
Overtime
I really like Neuvirth as he reminds me of Kolzig. Which you can obviously tell is my favorite player ever, but it's so hard choosing goaltenders it's stressful.
You must be remembering a different Kolzig than the one that played for the Capitals.

Neuvirth is not big or very athletic so he relies on his technique and positioning to be effective. He doesn't have the high end potential to steal games. He is pretty much the opposite of Kolzig.

Holtby is much closer to Kolzig in terms of temperament and athleticism. He has the high end potential to steal games but when things go wrong he can look absolutely terrible.

ForzaItalia

Mar 23, 2008
Toronto, ON
I'm not a fan at all of Neuvirth and he also doesn't remind me of Kolzig one bit. Kolzig had the ability to steal games which is very important come playoff time. I don't see that in Neuvirth. Having said that, Holtby had no business starting last night versus the Jets. Starts should be earned and based on that first game versus the Lightning, it was Neuvirth who deserved to start last night.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
if anyone reminds me of kolzig, its holtby. i dont think that neuvirth should have started the home opener. holtby's playoff run earned him that game. a bad first game didnt earn him the bench as the number 1 goalie.

i think holtby has been anything but sharp and thats true of the team as a whole. the caps have 5 goals this season. ward, ward, wolski, hendricks and brouwer. carlson got used for a goal last night. backstrom got burned. carlson had another goal bounced off his skate. ovechkin has zero goals and hasnt really come close based on my memory.

it will get better.

neuvirth well get the play the next one and if the caps win, then he will keep playing. if they lose again then holtby is back.

i'll admit that after the lockout i dont have a lot of patience for this. if they are going to suck, i am not going to waste my time on them. not ready to make other plans yet

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'm not a fan at all of Neuvirth and he also doesn't remind me of Kolzig one bit. Kolzig had the ability to steal games which is very important come playoff time. I don't see that in Neuvirth. Having said that, Holtby had no business starting last night versus the Jets. Starts should be earned and based on that first game versus the Lightning, it was Neuvirth who deserved to start last night.

iirc the caps started a recent season on the road with a win in front of johnson and the home opener went to the other guy....theodore maybe. holtby deserved both of those games.

Hutzler

Aug 12, 2011
Vancouver
Didn't Holtby play in the playoffs last year due to Neuvirth's injury? Yes he had great stats and the Caps made it out of round 1...but that was it. People say he deserves the starting position after the playoffs. For what, 7 wins and a second round departure?

Neuvirth has way more experience and has already kind of proven he can handle the starting position for a good chunk of a season.

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
I wish someone would bump the post/poll when a majority of this board said that they would rather have Neuvirth then Varlamov. That should tell you how much the majority of this board knows about goaltending.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
i think the track record is there. if the caps had traded neuvirth and kept varly and had varly been hurt and replace by holtby as happened, varly would have demanded to either be named the #1 from the start or demand to be traded. as thats what happened the season before and forced the trade to colorado. so.....

PRicci09

Jan 17, 2013
Sort of wishing we still had Varly. His potential was through the roof and hes looking like he will be a great #1. When he was on...the kid could straight steal games.

We did end up getting Forsberg so I cant be bitter

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
holtby straight stole games. whats the difference? neuvirth has been a goaltend for 3 championship winning playoff runs. i like all three of them for different reasons and am perfectly content with the two that are here.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I wish someone would bump the post/poll when a majority of this board said that they would rather have Neuvirth then Varlamov. That should tell you how much the majority of this board knows about goaltending.

I don't really recall that but I could be wrong. I remember everyone seeing Varly's greatness and potential but also being scared by his injuries and his style of play (as it relates to injury potential). I loved Varly but I also think we got a strong return for him so I'm ok with the trade.

Dirtbag59

May 13, 2011
Nuevo for the next week or two Holtby long term. Holtbys best is better then Neuvys best

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad