Speculation: Holtby or Neuvirth?

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
I love it...a poll where the majority voted that Varly WOULDN'T be here longterm as the #1 (which he isn't) and we're wrong? The only ones wrong were those who voted Varly. Wanna cry over spilled milk, complain to Varly for forcing his way out of town.

The poll was clearly who you think would be the top goalie out of the three. Read the responses. Whoever picked Neuvirth over Varlamov knows nothing about goaltending.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Michal Neuvirth may have played 24 games for Sparta Praha in his native Czech Republic during the lockout, but that didn’t mean he didn’t need to make adjustments upon returning to North America.

Capitals goaltending coach Dave Prior was quick to let the 23-year-old know he needed to kick some bad habits to be ready for NHL action once again.

“When I showed up, Dave knew right away I was playing too deep [in the crease]. He called it ‘European hangover,’ ” Neuvirth said. “I worked at it, the puck’s hitting me, so that means I’m in the good positioning.”

Neuvirth will make his first start of the season for the Capitals on Thursday night when they host the Montreal Canadiens at Verizon Center. He is 4-0-1 with a 1.82 goals-against average and .939 save percentage against the Canadiens all time.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...1/23/michal-neuvirth-ready-to-face-canadiens/

Interesting considering the problem with Holtby is either his rebounds or the fact hes trying to be Brodeur and leaves glove side wide open because he wants to catch it and then misses it and gives up a weak goal.

2nd bolded part scares me because I have a feeling Holtby even with his terrible play is still the starter and it being a back to back they are just giving the Canadiens to Neuvy because he has played well against them.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The poll was clearly who you think would be the top goalie out of the three. Read the responses. Whoever picked Neuvirth over Varlamov knows nothing about goaltending.

The poll may have been worded poorly, but I think most voted against Varly because he didn't seem like the longterm fit (for various reason), and that turned out to be correct. I know that's how I voted, against Varly, not necessarily pro Neuvy.

Are you just another spurned Varly fan forcing revisionist history on us? The guy forced his way out of town via temper tantrum and injury. Time for his fans to realize that after all this time.

I Am Score*

The poll may have been worded poorly, but most voted against Varly because he didn't seem like the longterm fit (for various reason), and that turned out to be correct. I know that's how I voted.

Are you just nother spurned Varly fan forcing revisionist history on us?

I think he means which goaltender will have the best career, which I kind of agree with him at this point. Not enough to see from Holtby in the NHL just yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if Varly ends up as a top 10 goaltender with select company.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
Oilers fans after the playoffs were suggesting Holtby for MPS, still would love that trade...

Holtby though has been highly overrated. I guarantee every team already know to tell their players he has terrible rebound control.

Holtby always has two bad games after some big change. Call-up, demotion, come back from injury or extended period without play. If you look at his AHL stats this season, you'll find some bad two-game-long stretches despite otherwise an excellent year.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Varly is supremely talented. If he stays healthy, he'll be a good player for a long time. It's a shame he felt so entitled to demand the starter's role before he'd really earned it.

Halpysback*

It's amazing how much a little coaching and mentoring fixed Varly up. Groin problems all gone, so much more efficient and conservative with his movements. Still has ways to go, but I wouldn't be surprised seeing him right behind Quick, Lundqvist, Rinne and Price in a couple years. Maybe even on that level but probably not.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It's amazing how much a little coaching and mentoring fixed Varly up. Groin problems all gone, so much more efficient and conservative with his movements. Still has ways to go, but I wouldn't be surprised seeing him right behind Quick, Lundqvist, Rinne and Price in a couple years. Maybe even on that level but probably not.

that doesnt change that he forced a trade and had be been kept over neuvirth and sat on the bench watching holtby play that he would have forced a trade this time around.

i just dont see keeping him as an option

ForzaItalia

Mar 23, 2008
Toronto, ON
No surprise there.

I bet we'll rock Montreal and everyone will be screaming for Neuvirth to stay in net. I'm for Neuvirth alot of the time but that's just the way it works sometimes.

Rock Montreal? I'll take a simple win for now. A loss to the Habs and mass hysteria sets in.

MoJoSauce

Apr 3, 2011
NNK

I think his groin problems may have been partially related to the VC ice. Vokoun also had problems when he came here with his groin. VC isn't exactly known to be good and I am sure this takes a toll on the tenders

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Both a solid NHL goalies. Holtby has the higher upside but I think Nuevy is the better bet to have a long career in the NHL. As it is now, I have no problem riding the hot hand. Whoever is getting the job done, gets the majority of the starts. St. Louis is doing a similar thing. Varly is clearly the most talented, that was never a question. His health and flight risk to Russia were the issue. I still have no problem with that trade and think the Caps did quite well.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I've been a Neuvy fan from the start and I am still a tad pissed GMGM sold out and brought Vagkoun in last year. Neuvy earned at least a chance to have the #1 spot last season and he got the shaft. I am pulling for him to sieze it this time around.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I must say I'm mildly intrigued by Luongo, but that contract...eesh.

Bringing him in could finally signal a major shift in the core of the team.

Halpysback*

that doesnt change that he forced a trade and had be been kept over neuvirth and sat on the bench watching holtby play that he would have forced a trade this time around.

i just dont see keeping him as an option

I don't see what's wrong with that. Price forced the habs to trade Halak when Halak came off a far more dominating playoff performance. Varlamov-Neuvirth was like a mini version of that, except gap between Varlamov and Price was smaller than one between Neuvirth and Halak. Did keeping Price somehow mess the habs goalie situation going forward? No one seems to think so. I guess they could have traded Price for a better player than Halak fetched but they seem pretty happy with their goalie situation.

All goalies who demonstrate themselves starter material want to spread their wings eventually, especially those of higher pedigree. The trade was what it was, and Neuvirth probably doesn't fetch a high 1st, but we're out a potential franchise goaltender. How much that hurts depends on your hockey philosophy and whatnot. I think a platoon is significantly less effective than a high ends starter and a backup who could play at a 1B level but knows his role as a backup (Giguere, Biron, Harding, Vokoun in Pitt, that sort of guy). I'd have probably made the trade at the time as well but insisted on the Avs 2011 1st (10th overall), then use that to swing down enough for Couturier. Islanders would have probably been game.

No one on the Avs board seems mad about the trade now and they ***** about everything.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I must say I'm mildly intrigued by Luongo, but that contract...eesh.

Bringing him in could finally signal a major shift in the core of the team.

It surely could be a deciding factor, but after the Vagkoun debacle last year I am less inclined to embrace a move like that.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
No one on the Avs board seems mad about the trade now and they ***** about everything.

What team board doesn't ***** about everything?

I am not a big fan of athletes making threats like Varley did to get out of DC. Things might be roses in Colo these days but whos to say if Varley gets butt hurt again that his groins start acting up, or he once again longs for Mother Russia?

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
I don't see what's wrong with that. Price forced the habs to trade Halak when Halak came off a far more dominating playoff performance. Varlamov-Neuvirth was like a mini version of that, except gap between Varlamov and Price was smaller than one between Neuvirth and Halak. Did keeping Price somehow mess the habs goalie situation going forward? No one seems to think so. I guess they could have traded Price for a better player than Halak fetched but they seem pretty happy with their goalie situation.

All goalies who demonstrate themselves starter material want to spread their wings eventually, especially those of higher pedigree. The trade was what it was, and Neuvirth probably doesn't fetch a high 1st, but we're out a potential franchise goaltender. How much that hurts depends on your hockey philosophy and whatnot. I think a platoon is significantly less effective than a high ends starter and a backup who could play at a 1B level but knows his role as a backup (Giguere, Biron, Harding, Vokoun in Pitt, that sort of guy). I'd have probably made the trade at the time as well but insisted on the Avs 2011 1st (10th overall), then use that to swing down enough for Couturier. Islanders would have probably been game.

Go to the draft topic.

It started off:

omg omg they are going to get Forsberg. whine whine whine

then

"Hes not Peter Forsberg!"

Halpysback*

What team board doesn't ***** about everything?

I am not a big fan of athletes making threats like Varley did to get out of DC. Things might be roses in Colo these days but whos to say if Varley gets butt hurt again that his groins start acting up, or he once again longs for Mother Russia?

Well, he's making lower end starter salary and lost the job for part of last year to Giguere and seems happy as pig in ****. I wouldn't put too much thought into a player not seeing eye to eye with McPhee of all people. Varly thought he proved enough against the Pens and the subsequent year to be thought of as a starter. I thought so too. Especially since Neuvirth's playoffs weren't good.

O'Reilly went infinitely further than Varlamov and I'd love to get him from Colorado and sign him to what he wants. I don't care about anything other than how much a player gets us closer to a cup. LA won with a roster full of Dbags (and Varlamov wasn't even one). Maybe that's why all the Mike Green and Brooks Laich community service can kiss my ***

Halpysback*

Go to the draft topic.

It started off:

omg omg they are going to get Forsberg. whine whine whine

then

"Hes not Peter Forsberg!"

Obviously they're gonna wine about it at the draft, but I didn't get the impression they wanted the trade back.

Forsberg was a gift, but how much of a gift remains to be seen. If he tops out at 30-35 and Varlamov tops out as a solid 1G I'd call it even or possibly skewed in Varlamov's favor. Depends on what you need really. I think Forsberg tops out at 35-35 and Varlamov becomes a consistent top 10 goalie.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

so...you would trade holtby and neuvirth at varly's demand?

Halpysback*

so...you would trade holtby and neuvirth at varly's demand?

Is that what he was demanding?

Signing him to what he got in Colorado and going into the season with him as the starter doesn't seem all that apocalyptic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad