McKenzie: Holland Listening to Offers on Andreas Athanasiou

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Jake Bean is a pretty crazy ask for AA, IMO.

I was expecting a roster player + 3rd or a prospect like Morin.

Depends on the roster player I guess. Wouldn't consider Morin at all. The Wings don't need to be in any rush to trade AA. It's not like they have any chance at competing for the cup this year.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I already know it's going to be aa + pick for Galchenyuk. Enjoy Detroit you just got a great player that is only 23 and just needs to be trusted and well surrounded. He can easily become a 35-35 guy with average/decent defensive skills.

Based on what?
I want Bergevin fired, but I still find it laughable when someone says that's the type of move Bergevin would do.
What trade did Bergevin do that resembles a Galchenyuk for AA trade? And no the Subban-Weber trade looks nothing like that.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
A trade for a similar age and talent forward is pretty pointless. A LHD prospect would probably be the best fit for the team. Maybe something around Jake Bean for AA could be a fit for both teams.

I don't want to move AA, but if this goes on for a couple of months, Detroit might not have much of a choice. This is just absurd from AA at this point.

Pretty sure Carolina fans will give you a very very hard and firm no on that. And I wouldn't blame them.

Why is it absurd? He's missed what... 7 days of NHL time? That's ~70k. He's looking for 500k more out of Holland, so he clearly has some time to keep waiting to see if Holland improves his offer. Besides... couldn't you say the same thing about Holland? Why is it only AA who's being absurd?

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Lol omg I just thought of something really horrible, but now I'm thinking this may actually happen...

AA + Abdelkader (lmao) for Galchenyuk + pick. Ewwwwww!

"You know, we got better as a team. We have more grit, more leadership. I think we got a lot better with offense - I mean we got 2 player instead of just one." - Marc Bergevin, 10/12/2017

I'm very sorry for that thought. Thats a bad thought.

Don't think that. Think your GM is better than that.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Hell has a better chance of freezing over then Holland actually completing one.

"Listening to offers" = waiting for someone to offer sheet him (at this point i'd just take the damn 2nd round pick) or to sign with the Swiss league he's skating with

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
He scored 18 goals in 64 games.
He has like 27 goals in less than 1200 career minutes. For reference, check out the NHLers who scored 27 goals last year. Only 2 did it in fewer than 1200 minutes.
I really can't understand why Holland has decided to play hardball here.
As Ken Campbell wrote today, his stats are pretty similar to what Tatar's were - at the same point in their career. Tatar got $2.75x3 when the cap was $4-5M lower than it is today. Seems like $2.2Mx2 for Athanasiou would get the job done.
I understand Holland is worried about his upcoming RFAs Mantha and Larkin. But at some point, these good young players you want to build around are kind of useless if you can't get them in uniform.
If I'm going to pay more than I want to for a player - it's going to be for young kids who are rising in this league.
Instead, Holland has a really bad track record of overcompensating and overcommitting to players who are on their way down.
This is gross mismanagement.

Here's what I don't understand.
If I'm a division rival like Ottawa or Montreal, why even call Holland?
Why not offer the $2.5M to Athanasiou and then force Holland to match and make a trade to get under the cap?

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
weird because there was an article that was saying the opposite 2 days ago but I'm not sure of the credibility of this...
Ansar Khan of MLive.com said:
The Red Wings aren’t inclined to trade the fast-skating forward unless they get a tremendous offer (top-four defenseman, similar young forward with high upside) and that isn’t likely to happen. The club also is concerned about the message a trade would send to other young players who are up for contracts in the near future, that if they don’t get what they want the Red Wings also will accommodate them with a move.
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index...s_5_things_on_andreas.html#incart_river_index

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I wish GMs weren’t so scared of breaking the status quo. If there ever was a time for an offer sheet, it’s now! A team could get a young top-6 forward for a 2nd round pick but no GM is brave enough to do it.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Quenneville + Prout(who looked surprisingly good throughout training camp and preseason) for AA? Probably pretty bad but it really depends on what Holland is looking for. You’ll get probably a top 9 potential top 6 wing and a top 6 defenseman for him in this offer

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
I wish GMs weren’t so scared of breaking the status quo. If there ever was a time for an offer sheet, it’s now! A team could get a young top-6 forward for a 2nd round pick but no GM is brave enough to do it.
There's too much diplomacy. Everyone's afraid of pissing off the next person. I say f*** it & raise hell. Draisaitl was a perfect candidate to f*** EDM over, but nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh let them have it their way. Same will happen with Athanasiou. Stupid pansy GMs.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
There's too much diplomacy. Everyone's afraid of pissing off the next person. I say **** it & raise hell. Draisaitl was a perfect candidate to **** EDM over, but nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh let them have it their way. Same will happen with Athanasiou. Stupid pansy GMs.

Yeah, it’s like they think every GM in the league is going to blacklist them if they attempt to make an offersheet, which is just ridiculous. Nothing bad happened to the Flyers because they offersheeted Shea Weber, and nothing bad happened to the Sharks for offersheeting Hjalmarsson. It’s truly the biggest market inefficiency there is. Imagine what a leg up a GM would have if he were willing to get serious about offersheets.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

The problem is, Detroit would match.

I'm not saying it's the right move, just what I think Holland would do.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

And that's the fun part if you're Montreal or Ottawa - competing for a playoff spot in that division.
If Holland matches, what does he do? Now he has to make a trade to be cap compliant. He's dealing from a position of weakness in that trade.

What would Holland do?
My guess is he'd try to convince Kronwall to go on LTIR or something.
But failing that, would he be forced to giveaway Riley Sheahan for peanuts?
Or would he trade Athanasiou for peanuts.

Contract wise, Holland has Athanasiou by the short and harrys.
But Athanasiou is actually putting Holland in a box here.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Then so be it, he matches. If AA signs the offersheet, then it means that he is good with the contract terms. Probably doesn’t matter too much if it’s in Detroit or elsewhere.

Offersheets being more common would give RFAs more negotiating leverage, which would be good because right now they basically have to take what the GM offers or they sit out.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
And that's the fun part if you're Montreal or Ottawa - competing for a playoff spot in that division.
If Holland matches, what does he do? Now he has to make a trade to be cap compliant. He's dealing from a position of weakness in that trade.

What would Holland do?

Holland has to make a trade to sign AA regardless of whether an offer sheet is involved or not.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI

What would Holland do?

I'd gladly find a way to get rid of Sheahan, but that's just me

I honestly think Kronwall is quickly on his way to LTIR already, personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad