McKenzie: Holland Listening to Offers on Andreas Athanasiou

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Random question, would Detroit be able to retain any money on Sheahan to be able to move him? I have no idea how much cap space they have, so I'm not sure if they could sign AA at $1.6 million and then retain $500k on Sheahan to trade him.
Sheahan makes $2.075 million if we resign AA for $1.6 million we probably could retain up to $400,000 on Sheahan but that's probably about it.

AKA Chief

Sep 29, 2017
But at the end of the day, you have hockey player or you don't.

So you'd pay $4M for a hockey player to keep someone else in the NHL from taking him for a 2nd round pick.
But you won't pay over $1.9M to keep him from spending the year in Europe - a scenario that gets you nothing.

That's a massive failure in logic.

There's no failure in Holland's logic. He makes it known DET will match up to a $4M offer sheet, thereby virtually guaranteeing that there will be no offer sheet. Leverage retained by Holland. Sound logic.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I know sign and trades don't happen, but I would trade the Blues 2018 1st for AA. I think his speed and finishing would be a great fit on Patrick's LW.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Random question, would Detroit be able to retain any money on Sheahan to be able to move him? I have no idea how much cap space they have, so I'm not sure if they could sign AA at $1.6 million and then retain $500k on Sheahan to trade him.

Sheahan makes $2.075 million if we resign AA for $1.6 million we probably could retain up to $400,000 on Sheahan but that's probably about it.

It's a lot more convoluted. At the high level you'd think Sheahan at $2.075m and AA at $1.6m that Detroit could retain $475k, but it doesn't work that way. With Sheahan already on the NHL roster for 16 days (8.6% of the season) and AA's RFA contract AAV being increased by the % of days he missed the math gets a lot more complicated.

By my estimates, if AA signed today and Sheahan was traded:
- Trading Sheahan frees up $1,896,505 in payroll space. (100% - 8.6% of season to date of his $2,075,000 AAV)
- Detroit needs $1.6m in payroll space to sign AA to a $1.6m contract. His salary is pro-rated, but the AAV is increased by the % of days he missed (see Rickard Rakell), so those two offset and the full $1.6m in payroll space is needed.
- That would leave Detroit with $1,896,505 - $1.6m = $296,505 in payroll space.
- Now a retained salary trade is going to be pro-rated with regards to payroll space as well. So Detroit could theoretically trade Sheahan to Pitt retaining $296,505 * (100% - 8.6%) = $324,411 of Sheahan's AAV, or 15.6% and break even.

As I said convoluted, and I certainly could have made an error in there somewhere. And one other wrinkle is this isn't really payroll space, it's LTIR exception space due to Franzen, though the math should work the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad