Holik wants to be paid during the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
http://www.nj.com/devils/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1106980263291040.xml

Several members of the players' union brought up the issue of pay. Players aren't paid during the preseason or playoffs, but that would have to change during a shortened schedule or playoff-only plan.

"The tournament takes a lot more out of you than the regular season," Holik said. "If they had a two-month (Stanley Cup) tournament, they have to go with four months of pay."

_____

Yes, I know how you will struggling making a couple of million for 2 months work Bobby, why dont you go over to Europe and take someone elses money if youre really that hard up. :shakehead

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
i wonder how bad he feels that he's one of the notable players who has changed the financial landscape of the NHL.

It's better if he just doesnt speak anymore and plays his brand of overpaid-yet-mediocre hockey

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
Steve L said:
http://www.nj.com/devils/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1106980263291040.xml

Yes, I know how you will struggling making a couple of million for 2 months work Bobby, why dont you go over to Europe and take someone elses money if youre really that hard up. :shakehead

he just, with out a doubt, ruined the entire PA's assertion that this isnt about money.

When the one thing you claim to be aiming for is with in your grasp, and the first thing on your mind is "Man, We should be getting paid for this" you do not deserve to be in the NHL.

Then, reading deeper into his comment, one could obviously say then, he is admitting they are being overpaid during the regular season because hes only trying half as hard as he could.

How bout a compromise. You can get a fee during the play-offs, but you get half as much during the regular season, since u admit you only play half as well.

Reilly311

I think NFL players are paid during the playoffs. I wouldn't care if they get paid in the postseason, but they better not have guaranteed contracts then.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Reilly311 said:
I think NFL players are paid during the playoffs. I wouldn't care if they get paid in the postseason, but they better not have guaranteed contracts then.

Both NFL and NHL players receive playoff pay, though it's usually a small amount compared to their regular season salaries. In fact, playoff pay was a key issue in the 1992 strike.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
The unbelievable arrogance of some of these players is baffling. They seemingly dont even care about PR.

Hey Bobby, the NINE FREAKIN' MILLION they are paying you counts for the preseason too. As a Ranger he should not be worried about playing in the post season any time soon.

I am a salaried employee. Sometimes I work past 5, sometimes I go to the office on a Saturday or travel over a weekend. What would my employer say if I should get paid more in order to accomplish the overall goal I am already being paid to accomplish?

The greed is sickening.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
If he is talking about this year then that is understandable, if he is talking about all years then he is out of his tree.

His YEARLY base salary is what it is. It is all inclusive. That is the understanding. I am sure there is playoff money too, but if you cant expect a guy to play the preseason, regular season and playoffs for a couple million then we might as well wait for this union to be crushed and see what the NHL does to the next group of players.

These guys have no idea how good they have it.

buce

Jan 25, 2005
Toronto
Bruwinz37 said:
If he is talking about this year then that is understandable, if he is talking about all years then he is out of his tree.

His YEARLY base salary is what it is. It is all inclusive. That is the understanding. I am sure there is playoff money too, but if you cant expect a guy to play the preseason, regular season and playoffs for a couple million then we might as well wait for this union to be crushed and see what the NHL does to the next group of players.

So how do you compensate players on teams that don't make the playoffs?

The Maltais Falcon

Jan 9, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Bruwinz37 said:
In fairness to Bobby, whom I generally loathe, my interpretation was that he was talking about this year and the talk of an everyone-in tourney that's been bandied about.

"If they had a two-month (Stanley Cup) tournament, they have to go with four months of pay."

That definitely sounds like he's not talking about typical hockey seasons but this potentially shortened one.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
Bruwinz37 said:
The unbelievable arrogance of some of these players is baffling. They seemingly dont even care about PR.

Hey Bobby, the NINE FREAKIN' MILLION they are paying you counts for the preseason too. As a Ranger he should not be worried about playing in the post season any time soon.

I am a salaried employee. Sometimes I work past 5, sometimes I go to the office on a Saturday or travel over a weekend. What would my employer say if I should get paid more in order to accomplish the overall goal I am already being paid to accomplish?

The greed is sickening.

Very good point.

I say lets pay them in the playoffs. Lets take all their contracts pay the 70% during the regular season and make the other 0-30% available to them depending on how far they go in the playoffs. Sounds good to me.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Bruwinz37 said:

He is only talking about this year, and specifically about some of the proposals where 28 or even all 30 teams make the playoffs and have one big tournament.

IMO he's right, if they play any less than 40 games, which they'll have to, the players should get a much bigger slice of playoff revenue than they usually do.

Phanuthier*

Why would Holik be whining about this considering his Rangers haven't made the playoffs in 8 years? :dunno:

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
futurcorerock said:
i wonder how bad he feels that he's one of the notable players who has changed the financial landscape of the NHL.

Holik's contract did nothing to change the landscape of the NHL's payscale. In fact it has had pretty much no effect at all on other NHL contracts

For proof take a look at contracts recently signed by:

John Madden
Keith Primeau
Kris Draper

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
buce said:
So how do you compensate players on teams that don't make the playoffs?

I would compensate them with the knowledge that you dont wait until the last minute to strike a deal or you end up S.O.L.

If it goes any further we might have a situation with all teams making the playoffs and just have one big tourney.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
John Flyers Fan said:
Holik's contract did nothing to change the landscape of the NHL's payscale. In fact it has had pretty much no effect at all on other NHL contracts

For proof take a look at contracts recently signed by:

John Madden
Keith Primeau
Kris Draper

For example, see Bill Guerin.

Hockey_Nut99

John Flyers Fan said:
....and Guerin a first line power forward is like Holik in exactly which way ???

try again

Well anybody better than Holik wants 8 or 9..thats all there is to it

Hockey_Nut99

John Flyers Fan said:
okay, and since Holik signed his contract, who has gotten that huge big money because they're better than Holik ???

Did Guerin sign b4 or after it? I don't remember

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad