Holik wants to be paid during the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Ah man, the neverending ignorance continues. When signing a contract, the players are paid for their services, playoffs or no playoffs. Should pay be taken away if players don't play up to their expectations, afterall, they aren't doing what they are paid to do. Take that into consideration.
Also, players work out deals with incentives that pays them performance bonuses that are triggered when they reach certain statistics or help advance a team beyond the 1st, 2nd, 3rd round... and another bonus for a Cup. See Sergei Fedorov's deal when he re-signed with the Red Wings (thanks to Carolina's offer).

Now that is a novel concept... a player getting paid more by his performance. Why not include this clause in the next CBA along with a cap to players salaries. Players can surpass the set cap when they trigger specific clauses, like a bonus for scoring 30+, 40+, 50+ goals. 70 points, 80 points, 90 points, 100+ points, etc. When they win some hardware or are named to an all-star team. The players will still get guaranteed contracts, but no more than $6M max. Let's say a player maxes out all of his performance bonuses (as in wins all the major awards, leads the league in scoring with 60+ goals and 150+ points, gets his team far in the playoffs, etc.) he will be awarded $8-10M in total, so a bonus of $2-4M if he establishes himself as the best player in the league.

For once I'd like to see all players trying hard and this would give them a reason to try harder. Even though it may not seem fair to the lesser skilled players... they can have clauses included in their deals as well that rewards their contribution to the team. Calculate average ice time... games appeared in... bring back the shots blocked and hits statistics and include them in their clauses. We may start seeing more hitting and wide open hockey with players trying to attack more and players attempting to lay more hits on.

The same criteria could be set for goalies... virtually any position could be impacted by this and benefit from it. It would also be a nice promotion for the league and the players... a new slogan for them. "Our players work harder" or something to that effect. When you have NBA players admitting they didn't try their best... baseball players making ridiculous amounts of money... it would be a good reflection on the league that these players work their asses off and actually earn the money they make rather than just being rewarded for one good year with a contract that lasts 5 seasons at $10M per year (or something ridiculous like what Yashin or Holik or Guerin make who have done nothing to improve the clubs they signed with).

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Hockeyfan02 said:
It was the Rangers GM who offered the contract so its not like Holik is stealing from him. Holik shouldnt be making more than 4 or 5 million. I dont feel any sympathy for the Rangers being stuck with this contract when they were the ones who offered it to him.

He obviously took advantage of the feeble-minded and in my books that's a crime. ;)

SENSible1*

Holik was referring to this year's playoff and he has a point.

I say the owners should offer 50% of the gate reciepts to the players if they come back under a capped NHL.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Instead of player paycheques ending after the reg season, just spread the contract payments from beginning of season until stanley cup. If you arent playing by the 2nd round, your checks stop, and you miss the final few payments on the contract. In a sense, its not guaranteed to be fully paid unless the team wins the cup.

Right now, players play the playoffs for the glory. This is business, they must play for money.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Thunderstruck said:
Holik was referring to this year's playoff and he has a point.

I say the owners should offer 50% of the gate reciepts to the players if they come back under a capped NHL.
doesnt the 2.4 billion in revenues (or whatever the # is) that the owners claim is revenue, include the playoff money ?

54 % of revenue then includes the playoffs.

seems the owners are already offering to pay the players for the playoffs.

no ?

dr

SENSible1*

DR said:
doesnt the 2.4 billion in revenues (or whatever the # is) that the owners claim is revenue, include the playoff money ?

54 % of revenue then includes the playoffs.

seems the owners are already offering to pay the players for the playoffs.

no ?

dr

I would assume that the paychecks would be based on the season alone, as was the previous arrangement.

If their 54% is spread over the season or the season and playoffs doesn't really matter.

I was looking at the splitting of the gate as an additional carrot for the players.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Thunderstruck said:
I would assume that the paychecks would be based on the season alone, as was the previous arrangement.

If their 54% is spread over the season or the season and playoffs doesn't really matter.

I was looking at the splitting of the gate as an additional carrot for the players.
whether they pay them in one cheque or 100 cheques, it still includes a % of the playoff revenue, right ?

or is the NHL proposing to give the players 54% of all revenue minus the playoff revenue ?

i dunno, seems to me the players will be getting paid for the playoffs, regardless of when they get paid for it.

dr

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
RLC said:
Hey everyone, I got an idea.

Pay Bobby Holik "only" if he gets into the play-offs

Heh, I like this. Let's extend it to the entire league. You only get paid if your team makes the playoffs.

That'd put an end to the boring regular season. No more "union games" where teams go through the motions. :lol:

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Son of Steinbrenner said:
funny didn't an owner pay holik that money? i think it takes two parties to sign a contract :dunno: ;)

how can a player be blamed for signing for a lot of money. holik wasn't a hold out he turned 31 and signed for the highest bid. toronto and the devils were in there bidding with the rangers.

Yup. Can't blame Holik for signing on the dotted line. But I do think we can hold him at least partially responsible for sounding like such a wack job at times. But this time might not be one, if he was just speaking of this season.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
When you get paid 9M per... shouldn't that be enough for a third line checking centre??? Bobby Holik is EVERYTHING that is wrong with pro sports today!!! There is no way this moron should be making more than 2-2.5 M per season....I can't believe this ***** from a tird like Holik :banghead: :mad: :madfire: :banghead:

Da Game

Jan 27, 2005
On an Island
Holik does talk to much, but you got his salary wrong.

Holik officially makes about 6 million a year. I don't know the exact number, but he was given a huge signing bonus when he signed with the Rangers, to off-set the salary per year number, just incase there was a cap put in place.

Same with Kasper.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Da Game said:
Holik does talk to much, but you got his salary wrong.

Holik officially makes about 6 million a year. I don't know the exact number, but he was given a huge signing bonus when he signed with the Rangers, to off-set the salary per year number, just incase there was a cap put in place.

Same with Kasper.
His deal was 5yrs and 45M.... sounds like an avg of 9M

Da Game

Jan 27, 2005
On an Island
BLONG7 said:
His deal was 5yrs and 45M.... sounds like an avg of 9M

Again, when Holik signed his contract, he was given a huge bonus, to bring his salary per year number down, just incase the NHL were to get a cap in place.

Basically, he doesn't earn 9 million per year, but around 5 to 6. The rest was given to him in signing bonus.

And if I'm correct, Holik is getting paid during this lockout.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Da Game said:
Again, when Holik signed his contract, he was given a huge bonus, to bring his salary per year number down, just incase the NHL were to get a cap in place.

Basically, he doesn't earn 9 million per year, but around 5 to 6. The rest was given to him in signing bonus.

And if I'm correct, Holik is getting paid during this lockout.
You are splitting hairs... and if he is being paid during the lockout...then Glen Sather is really the biggest moron in all of this me$$...anyhow I dont give a rat's a$$ if he was given a 40M signing bonus... he signed a 45M deal for 5 years...

Da Game

Jan 27, 2005
On an Island
BLONG7 said:
You are splitting hairs... and if he is being paid during the lockout...then Glen Sather is really the biggest moron in all of this me$$...anyhow I dont give a rat's a$$ if he was given a 40M signing bonus... he signed a 45M deal for 5 years...

All I'm telling you is, he might have sign for that amount, but he's not making 9 million per year.

Example: Fedorov signed that offer sheet with the Canes, and the Red Wings had to match it, and paid Fed's something like 15 million his first year, and from then on, he receive 1.5 million each year.

I'm sure there's a Red Wings fan who can bless us with the exact figure of that contract. But I remembering it being really front loaded.

Anyway, if there were a cap put in place, Holik's cap number would be 6 million, and not 9.

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
Da Game said:
All I'm telling you is, he might have sign for that amount, but he's not making 9 million per year.

Example: Fedorov signed that offer sheet with the Canes, and the Red Wings had to match it, and paid Fed's something like 15 million his first year, and from then on, he receive 1.5 million each year.

I'm sure there's a Red Wings fan who can bless us with the exact figure of that contract. But I remembering it being really front loaded.

Anyway, if there were a cap put in place, Holik's cap number would be 6 million, and not 9.

14 mil and 2 mil per year after that

Da Game

Jan 27, 2005
On an Island
garry1221 said:
14 mil and 2 mil per year after that

LOL. Thanks Garry. I was close. :D

Well that's sort of what the Rangers did with Holik and Kasper.

Same thing the Av's did with Sakic when the Rangers signed him to an offer sheet.

And if there is a Cap, that's going to be a huge loophole. Team's with money are going to give a player a high signing bonus, which comes with a low cap (salary) number to avoid a cap hit and leave room to sign other players.

Brent Burns Beard