HOH Top Forwards - Determining positions. Updated Wingers list Post 276

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
Bottom line is that proof has been provided that Maurice Richard actually started in the NHL as a LW, which you admit by running numbers.

Your SI link that explains Jere Lehtinen's injuries also contradicts your initial "robbed" portrayal. So Lehtinen was not "robbed" as claimed, rather his performance in terms of Selke votes was injury impacted.

My "robbed" portrayal of Lehtinen with regards to Brind'Amour? Lehtinen's injury that you claim caused him to switch wings (shown false in the article I linked, as well as by anyone who actually watched the West during the late 90s post) occurred AFTER he was already playing the left side as the article mentions; you can't have a post-injury Lehtinen/Modano/Hull reunion unless Lehtinen had already been moved to the left side on that line pre-injury.

And that injury has little to do (directly) with him being robbed of the Selke in 2006 and 2007; you saying that would be similar to me saying "Yzerman's 1988 knee injury DIRECTLY cost him the 1993-94 Art Ross/Hart/Pearson/1AST". Realistically, had Yzerman continued his post-Carson trade performance (~170 point pace, adjusted for ~145 in 1993-94) from the end of the previous season through the next season he does pull that off. But it was the 1993 Steen hit that cost him those accolades, not his 1988 knee injury.

Brind'Amour's Selkes are, IMHO, a good example of "long-term" reputation as a good two-way guy combined with "C>W" and a "why hasn't this guy won anything yet?" attitude. Gilmour's 1993 Selke and 1994 second-place have a similar feel, but he was much better defensively throughout his career and that was his peak (raw) offensively, so it's certainly arguable that many looked and said "Gilmour has always been a great player at both ends, and this is the best he's ever played."

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Wow, this really doesn't have to be this difficult.

1. Do a list for centers and another for wingers. As was already mentioned in this thread, LW and RW are more or less the same thing (like LD and RD) and furthermore, there are approximately as many significant wingers as there are centers in history. If we do as many LWs and RWs as we do centers, we're getting into wingers nowhere near as good as some centers who missed their cut.

2. Look at every forward and determine what they should be considered: center or winger. 95% of the time this will be very simple and straightforward. The other 5% of the time you will have a player who played more than a couple of seasons away from his "main" position. The vast majority of these cases will also be easy to sort out. It's just the 50/50 guys and the ones who may have played more games at one position but achieved more at their secondary position that will be reason for debate. I'm guessing maybe five players, at most, will warrant such debate.

3. Once we've determined what list each player is eligible for, rank them as players. The list of LWs would actually be "the greatest players of all-time who are most often identified as left wingers" and what would be wrong with that?

In theory, Sid Abel, who is a borderline top-100 player of all-time, could miss both the center and winger lists, despite the fact that if we just settle on him being a LW or C and judge him as a player, he'd be a top-25 winger or a top-25 center. Just to give one extreme example.

Completely agree with your entire post.

Can't believe some people actually argued against point #3.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
So, how does this move forward. Do we vote? Do admins make a decision?

We could have poll to decide if we're doing centers next or lumping all forwards together.

Past that, I don't think there's a point in going further if we don't have anyone to admin the project. A couple of people PMed me saying they might be able to admin in the fall or winter but can't now

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
We could have poll to decide if we're doing centers next or lumping all forwards together.

Past that, I don't think there's a point in going further if we don't have anyone to admin the project. A couple of people PMed me saying they might be able to admin in the fall or winter but can't now

Yeah, I wish I could. I want to be in charge of this but I just can't guarantee I'll be reliable.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Updated List for the Centers Project

Consider him a center

• Mark Messier - C/LW - definitely primarily a C
  • Cyclone Taylor - Rover/C/D - How do we handle him? He's a Rover first, but Rover was kind of like a modern C. Consider him a C for our purposes (see post 99)
  • Frank Nighbor - C/LW - majority of his career and best years at C
  • Alex Delvecchio - C/LW - played C for the majority of his career - played LW when Norm Ullman was moved to the top line (see posts 14 and 34)
  • Sid Abel - C/LW - 3 of 4 All Star nods at C, more time at C than LW, he's a C more than a LW
  • Hooley Smith - C/RW - all AS nods at C, natural C who moved to RW when the team already had a star C. Call him a C.
  • Alexander Maltsev - C/RW - call him a C (see posts 52, 55, 56)
  • Mickey MacKay - C/rover - He can be included as a C, unless we do a separate category for rovers
  • Rod Brind'amour - C/LW - mostly a C
  • Phil Watson - C/RW - mostly a C
  • Neil Colville - C/D - seems the majority of his prime was at C and we didn't include him as a D anyway
  • Don McKenney - C/LW - C (see posts 18 and 20)
  • Jack Adams - C/LW - mostly a C
  • John Madden - C/LW - mostly a C
  • Fleming MacKell - C/LW - mostly a C
  • Tod Sloan - C/RW - best years at C
  • Tommy Smith - C/LW - spent more time at C than LW (see post 59)
  • Fred Stanfield - C/LW - mostly a C
  • Red Berenson - C/LW - majority of best years at C
  • Clint Smith - C/LW - most AS recogntion at C. Call him a C
  • Brian Rolston - F - played all positions, but his best years seemed to be at C. (post 210)
  • Blair Russel - C/RW - nature C who would move to RW when Russel Bowie played C. Call him a C (post 211)
  • Kirk Muller - LW/C - consider him a C (see posts 15, 216, 217)
  • Henrik Zetterberg - C/LW (see posts 26, 38, 42, 46, 48, 49, 70, 208, 212, 218)
  • Frank Foyston, F - played more C than any other position (see posts 212, 218)
  • Patrik Marleau - C/LW - played C normally, moved to LW to accommodate Thornton
  • Kent Nilsson - C/RW - natural C
  • Harry Westwick, F - purely a rover, who may have sometimes also played C. Call him a C (see posts 223, 225)
  • Jack Marshall - F/D - primarily a forward. Played mainly C in Cup challenges (See post 212, 257, 260)

Not a center
  • Anatoli Firsov - LW/C - only played C at the very end of his career. Call him a LW
  • Doug Bentley, LW/C - call him LW (see posts 9 and 10)
  • Reg Noble - LW/D/C - spent a large part of his career on D, but when he was forward, he was usually a LW (see posts 31, 50)
  • Patrick Elias - LW/C - mostly a LW
  • Keith Tkachuk - LW/C - prime as a LW
  • Rusty Crawford - LW/C - mostly a LW
  • Ed Litzenberger - C/RW - mostly a RW (see posts 109 and 122)
  • Don Marcotte, F - LW by default unless there was someone specific to check
  • Trevor Linden - C/RW - call him RW (see posts 2 and 29)
  • Vladimir Vikulov - RW/C - mostly RW
  • Lynn Patrick - C/LW - most AS recognition at LW. Call him a LW
  • Dave Andreychuk - LW/C - prime as LW
  • Bob Pulford - C/LW - 2/3 of his career seems to have been at LW. Call him a LW. (See posts 36, 47, 214)
  • Vincent Damphousse - C/LW - consider him a LW (see posts 15, 216, 217)
  • Jack Walker - F - a rover first, a winger second. Almost always played wing when he was moved up front, so call him a wing (See posts 212, 218, 227)

More discussion needed

• Syd Howe, LW/C/D (see posts 105, 107, 245, 246)
  • Bernie Morris - C/RW (see post 212, 256)
  • Vaclav Nedomansky - C/RW (see posts 35, 39, 53, 54, 215, 219, 242, 243, 248, 249)

Red Kelly, Dit Clapper, Eddie Gerard, Ebbie Goodfellow, Babe Siebert and Mosse Johnson were already decided to be primarily defensemen.

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
After re-reading the discussion on Henrik Zetterberg, I think we should call him a center for the purposes of this project. It's where he has spent the majority of both his career and prime by this point.

The counterargument is that Zetterberg is still considered a "left wing" by the NHL database and he was ranked as a LW by TSN when they ranked players all-time by position. But I'm thinking that at this point (after another top 20 finish in scoring as a C in 2012-13), he has spent too much time at C to ignore. We all know that the only reason other outlets consider him a LW is because the NHL hasn't bothered to change their database, right?

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Discussion

After re-reading the discussion on Henrik Zetterberg, I think we should call him a center for the purposes of this project. It's where he has spent the majority of both his career and prime by this point.

The counterargument is that Zetterberg is still considered a "left wing" by the NHL database and he was ranked as a LW by TSN when they ranked players all-time by position. But I'm thinking that at this point (after another top 20 finish in scoring as a C in 2012-13), he has spent too much time at C to ignore. We all know that the only reason other outlets consider him a LW is because the NHL hasn't bothered to change their database, right?

Think Zetterberg should remain part of the above discussion which should have a distinct thread clearly titled C or LW or RW or D.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Not that he really has a chance at any of the lists, but I'm going to go ahead and add Rolston as a center. His best years from a scoring perspective and Selke trophy voting were in Boston and Minnesota, and he played most C in both those places. (He was mostly wing in NJ and Colorado).

Not really a guy worth arguing about.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
From Blair Russel's LOH bio:

Blair Russel was an excellent two-way player throughout his career as an amateur with the Montreal Victorias, though he was often overshadowed by the great Russell Bowie. Russel played centre when Bowie was at his usual position of rover, but he shifted to right wing when Bowie moved up to forward. This pair made as potent a scoring threat as there was in hockey at that time, amateur or professional.

Seems like centre was Russel's natural position, but he moved to RW to accomodate Russel Bowie when Bowie switched from rover to centre.

For the purposes of this project, let's make Blair Russel a centre like Russel Bowie

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

How about look at how many faceoffs he took?

2003: 5.0 per game, 7th on Detroit, even less than Avery who was listed as a LW, he was listed as LW himself, three Wings had as much as double. I'd call this season 30% C

2004: 10.3 per game, 4th on Detroit, much less than 3rd place Draper but not much ahead of anyone else. Listed as a LW. I'd call this season 50% C

2006: 7.6 per game, 4th on Detroit, much less than 3rd place Lang but not much ahead of anyone else. Listed as LW. I'd call this season 40% C

2007: Still listed as a LW (OK, maybe we shouldn't care what he's listed as). 14.1 per game, Draper was 1st with 15.3 per game. Assume Draper was a center 100% of the time. Due to less GP, they played the same number of total minutes but Hank took 70% as many faceoffs. I'd call this season 70% C

2008: Led the team in faceoffs taken, by a wide margin. No reason to believe this was anything but 100% C

2009: Led team in faceoffs, but not by a wide margin. Total faceoffs were very proportional to Dasyuk and Draper compared to TOI. Probably 100% C

2010: See 2009.

2011: Led team in total faceoffs but both Helm, Filppula and Datsyuk were exceeding his faceoffs per minute played (0.86, 0.78, 0.73, 0.63). this season was more like 80% C

2012: 0.69 faceoffs per minute, Datsuk had 0.91, Helm had 0.78. Again, probably about 80% C

2013: Looks like closer to 60% C, considering Datsyuk had about 60% more faceoffs per minute, and played center all season.

30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 80, 100, 100, 100 = he's a center.

Updated List for the Centers Project

Consider him a center

• Mark Messier - C/LW - definitely primarily a C
  • Cyclone Taylor - Rover/C/D - How do we handle him? He's a Rover first, but Rover was kind of like a modern C. Consider him a C for our purposes (see post 99)
  • Frank Nighbor - C/LW - majority of his career and best years at C
  • Alex Delvecchio - C/LW - played C for the majority of his career - played LW when Norm Ullman was moved to the top line (see posts 14 and 34)
  • Sid Abel - C/LW - 3 of 4 All Star nods at C, more time at C than LW, he's a C more than a LW
  • Hooley Smith - C/RW - all AS nods at C, natural C who moved to RW when the team already had a star C. Call him a C.
  • Alexander Maltsev - C/RW - call him a C (see posts 52, 55, 56)
  • Mickey MacKay - C/rover - He can be included as a C, unless we do a separate category for rovers
  • Rod Brind'amour - C/LW - mostly a C
  • Phil Watson - C/RW - mostly a C
  • Neil Colville - C/D - seems the majority of his prime was at C and we didn't include him as a D anyway
  • Don McKenney - C/LW - C (see posts 18 and 20)
  • Jack Adams - C/LW - mostly a C
  • John Madden - C/LW - mostly a C
  • Fleming MacKell - C/LW - mostly a C
  • Tod Sloan - C/RW - best years at C
  • Tommy Smith - C/LW - spent more time at C than LW (see post 59)
  • Fred Stanfield - C/LW - mostly a C
  • Red Berenson - C/LW - majority of best years at C
  • Clint Smith - C/LW - most AS recogntion at C. Call him a C
  • Brian Rolston - F - played all positions, but his best years seemed to be at C. (post 210)
  • Blair Russel - C/RW - nature C who would move to RW when Russel Bowie played C. Call him a C (post 211)

Not a center
  • Anatoli Firsov - LW/C - only played C at the very end of his career. Call him a LW
  • Doug Bentley, LW/C - call him LW (see posts 9 and 10)
  • Reg Noble - LW/D/C - spent a large part of his career on D, but when he was forward, he was usually a LW (see posts 31, 50)
  • Patrick Elias - LW/C - mostly a LW
  • Keith Tkachuk - LW/C - prime as a LW
  • Rusty Crawford - LW/C - mostly a LW
  • Ed Litzenberger - C/RW - mostly a RW (see posts 109 and 122)
  • Don Marcotte, F - LW by default unless there was someone specific to check
  • Trevor Linden - C/RW - call him RW (see posts 2 and 29)
  • Vladimir Vikulov - RW/C - mostly RW
  • Lynn Patrick - C/LW - most AS recognition at LW. Call him a LW
  • Dave Andreychuk - LW/C - prime as LW
  • Bob Pulford - C/LW - 2/3 of his career seems to have been at LW. Call him a LW. (See posts 36, 47)

Agree with all of this. My own research and experience backs all this up. Except Maltsev and Pulford, in which cases I am deferring to those who know more.

More discussion needed

• Syd Howe, LW/C/D (see posts 105, 107)
  • Henrik Zetterberg - C/LW (see posts 26, 38, 42, 46, 48, 49, 70, 208)
  • Frank Foyston, F
  • Bernie Morris - C/RW
  • Jack Walker - F
  • Vaclav Nedomansky - C/RW (see posts 35, 39, 53, 54)
  • Kirk Muller - LW/C
  • Vincent Damphousse - C/LW
  • Harry Westwick, F
  • Jack Marshall - F/D
  • Patrik Marleau - C/LW
  • Kent Nilsson - C/RW

Red Kelly, Dit Clapper, Eddie Gerard, Ebbie Goodfellow, Babe Siebert and Mosse Johnson were already decided to be primarily defensemen.[/QUOTE]

my takes:

- Can't say for sure Howe is a LW or C, but obviously his time at D was nowhere near significant enough.
- 3 Seattle Players: Foyston was mostly a C as far as I could ever tell. I know there have been a few references to him at RW but - someone correct me if I'm wrong - he was usually the C of the Walker-Foyston-Morris line which was together for 7 full seasons (17-23)... this was the most significant time of all three players' careers and pretty much answers the question for all three of them if it's true.

1917: the playoffs according to The Trail, had Walker at RW-R-RW-R, Foyston at L-L-L-L, and Morris at C-C-C-C. Doesn't prove what it was in the season, but it helps.

1918: Walker did not play. Foyston was listed as Rover both games, Morris Center.

1919: Walker was listed as Rover both games. Foyston was simply a wing, but it was not mentioned which one. Based on the other games with other teams this season, it appears they went with RWs on top, LWs on the bottom. He was likely RW once, LW the other times. Morris did not play.

1920: Morris is listed as having 5 GP, but in two summaries he's not listed at all, in the other three he is RW-RW_sub. Walker was R-R-RW-R-RW-R-RW. Foyston was F-F-C-C-C-C-C (listed on top vs. Roberts once, on bottom opposite Harris once, so almost certainly L then RW)

1921: Walker was Rover both games. Foyston was W both games (both times on same line as Alf Skinner, so likely RW). Morris was listed as a sub one game, and the opposite wing as Foyston the other, so RW.

1922: Foyston was LW-C in 2 games, Morris RW-RW, Walker R-R.

no playoffs for Seattle in 1923.

So based on these 7 seasons, here's what we have:

Walker:
RW: 5
R: 12

Morris:
C: 6
sub: 2

Foyston:
C: 10
R: 2
LW: 3
RW: 4

Well that's kinda weird, that we may end up calling all three of them centers despite them usually being on the same sheet of ice together. The reason is, one of them was always a center, one a rover (closest to center), and one a winger, with another guy like Cully Wilson or Jim Riley on the other wing.

Maybe their other playoff games can add extra illumination... here's what I have for their other playoff games:

Foyston:
C: 7
sub: 11

Walker:
LW: 10
RW: 13

Morris:
C: 1
RW: 2
LW: 1

so if we can say their playoff games tell the story (and they did play a much larger proportion of playoff games than most players in their day, and playoffs should be weighted more heavily to begin with), Foyston is a clear center, Walker a clear RW and Morris is a 7-7 RW-C split.

Muller: The TOI sheet tends to be mostly correct, and it has him as LW in 86-92, and C the other 12 seasons. However, His 6 highest scoring seasons, in order, are 88, 93, 90, 92, 87, 89. He was apparently a LW in 5 of those 6. Tough one.

Nedomansky: I'll leave that to someone else.

Damphousse: was apparently a LW for 9 seasons, then a C for 9 seasons. If that's true, his best 2 seasons were as a C, but next 4 best were as LW. Needs further research.

Westwick: The Trail has him as a rover. No time to research all his playoff games.

Marshall: The Trail explicitly describes his career. He was a forward pre-NHA, and a defenceman in the NHA (so, 8 seasons of each). Considering he led the regular season in scoring one season and playoffs another as a forward, and was never a true all-star defenseman (just a solid respected vet, but not a Joe Hall, Cleghorn, Ross, etc) he should be a forward.

Marleau: Let's not kid ourselves and imagine we're considering him. But he's been mostly a center aside from a few recent seasons. and was he really a better player those seasons, or did he have better linemates than in the other years of his career?

Nilsson: I don't know, I thought he was always center. But does it matter?

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

Ya, this is a tough one here. His statistics while playing for the Czech National Team & professionally over there are nothing short of remarkable from 62/63-74 when he Defected to the West, the first Communist Block hockey player to do so. With the Czech National Team & professionally over there, he played mostly Right Wing, though sometimes Center. When he fled to the West, signing with the WHA Toronto Toro's, he was paired with Frank Mahovlich who'd jumped over from the Canadiens. Vaclav playing Centre, and continuing to play Center after he'd left the WHA & signed in the NHL with Detroit. He was 30 when he Defected & actually past his prime, yet still put up some excellent numbers, slowing down somewhat, in Detroit not really having a skilled supporting cast, rapidly approaching 40 but still a formidable force. Bounced around thereafter with St.Louis & New York. Supposedly had a wrist shot clocked at 90mph. Certainly his career was decent enough in the NHL, and as the criteria is "Center", well, Neddy was a Center in both the WHA & NHL but for spot duty on the PP as a Winger occasionally.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Centers

Zetterberg, Foynston,Walker, Morris, Syd Howe.

The question has to look at who they were matched against besides simply looking at faceoffs or line-up data. The match-up factor goes to the heart of the rankings, their defensive attributes.

Pulford was a LW who played some center out of team need.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
Nedomansky

Looking at some yearbooks from the late 70s early 80s, I find:

2 sources from 74 calling him a defecting center.

1 source from 77 calling him a forward.

5 sources from his Red Wing years, with 4 calling him a center and only one calling him a right wing.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Regarding Muller/Damphousse:

TOI and/or linemate data might beg to differ with my recollection, but I've always considered Muller a centre who played wing when a talented "incumbent" was around, and Damphousse a winger who shifted to centre when skill/puck distribution was at a premium among other centres in the depth chart.

Both were "natural" centres in that I believe they broke into the league as centres. Lots of centres have to "cut their teeth" at the wing position(s) (see Seguin, Galchenyuk among many others), but you don't usually see rookies converted the other way when earning their first roles on their teams. Both Damphousse and Muller started off as teenage centres, if I'm not mistaken.

However, while both played on the Habs, I'm pretty sure we saw Muller down the middle and Damphousse on the wing. Then Turgeon was added to the mix, and I think Damphousse was still a winger for those days. Before that, Muller had been a winger for a bit, but I believe that had something to do with Denis Savard being around. I remember him playing centre a LOT more during the 86-92 stretch with NJ than is suggested by the source seventies is referring to in his post just a bit earlier, btw. Wasn't Verbeek's "conversion" to the wing part of accommodating Muller's early rise to prominence (certainly went on immediately to be Francis' winger after leaving NJ and joining Hartford)?

Damphousse, on the other hand, was running down Olczyk's wing during the pre-Habs years if I'm not mistaken (for some reason I can't remember if/when he played centre with Edmonton just before, but if he did, surely it was to fill in for Nicholls during the fall). Not surprised he ended up a pretty much full-time centre back on those early, offense-starved Sharks teams, but we're talking about later in his career at this point (into his 30s). Marleau was 20, Sutter was obviously a checker and 36, and Mike Ricci wasn't exactly living up to top 4 draft pick hype in his mid-20s.

My personal opinion: Muller = centre, Damphousse = winger (for the purposes of the project)

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

TOI and/or linemate data might beg to differ with my recollection, but I've always considered Muller a centre who played wing when a talented "incumbent" was around, and Damphousse a winger who shifted to centre when skill/puck distribution was at a premium among other centres in the depth chart.

Both were "natural" centres in that I believe they broke into the league as centres. Lots of centres have to "cut their teeth" at the wing position(s) (see Seguin, Galchenyuk among many others), but you don't usually see rookies converted the other way when earning their first roles on their teams. Both Damphousse and Muller started off as teenage centres, if I'm not mistaken.

However, while both played on the Habs, I'm pretty sure we saw Muller down the middle and Damphousse on the wing. Then Turgeon was added to the mix, and I think Damphousse was still a winger for those days. Before that, Muller had been a winger for a bit, but I believe that had something to do with Denis Savard being around. I remember him playing centre a LOT more during the 86-92 stretch with NJ than is suggested by the source seventies is referring to in his post just a bit earlier, btw. Wasn't Verbeek's "conversion" to the wing part of accommodating Muller's early rise to prominence (certainly went on immediately to be Francis' winger after leaving NJ and joining Hartford)?

Damphousse, on the other hand, was running down Olczyk's wing during the pre-Habs years if I'm not mistaken (for some reason I can't remember if/when he played centre with Edmonton just before, but if he did, surely it was to fill in for Nicholls during the fall). Not surprised he ended up a pretty much full-time centre back on those early, offense-starved Sharks teams, but we're talking about later in his career at this point (into his 30s). Marleau was 20, Sutter was obviously a checker and 36, and Mike Ricci wasn't exactly living up to top 4 draft pick hype in his mid-20s.

My personal opinion: Muller = centre, Damphousse = winger (for the purposes of the project)

Your recollection seems to be the same as vadim's from post 15. As well as my own recollection about Muller - he was mainly a center in NJ, and is actually usually the #1 C on any "all-time NJ Devils teams" that are made (center is obviously a historical organizational weakpoint in NJ).

Going to consider Muller as a C and Damphousse as a LW.

I'll get to 70s long post in a minute

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

2003: 5.0 per game, 7th on Detroit, even less than Avery who was listed as a LW, he was listed as LW himself, three Wings had as much as double. I'd call this season 30% C

2004: 10.3 per game, 4th on Detroit, much less than 3rd place Draper but not much ahead of anyone else. Listed as a LW. I'd call this season 50% C

2006: 7.6 per game, 4th on Detroit, much less than 3rd place Lang but not much ahead of anyone else. Listed as LW. I'd call this season 40% C

2007: Still listed as a LW (OK, maybe we shouldn't care what he's listed as). 14.1 per game, Draper was 1st with 15.3 per game. Assume Draper was a center 100% of the time. Due to less GP, they played the same number of total minutes but Hank took 70% as many faceoffs. I'd call this season 70% C

2008: Led the team in faceoffs taken, by a wide margin. No reason to believe this was anything but 100% C

2009: Led team in faceoffs, but not by a wide margin. Total faceoffs were very proportional to Dasyuk and Draper compared to TOI. Probably 100% C

2010: See 2009.

2011: Led team in total faceoffs but both Helm, Filppula and Datsyuk were exceeding his faceoffs per minute played (0.86, 0.78, 0.73, 0.63). this season was more like 80% C

2012: 0.69 faceoffs per minute, Datsuk had 0.91, Helm had 0.78. Again, probably about 80% C

2013: Looks like closer to 60% C, considering Datsyuk had about 60% more faceoffs per minute, and played center all season.

30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 80, 100, 100, 100 = he's a center.

Agree with all of this. My own research and experience backs all this up. Except Maltsev and Pulford, in which cases I am deferring to those who know more.

More discussion needed

• Syd Howe, LW/C/D (see posts 105, 107)
  • Henrik Zetterberg - C/LW (see posts 26, 38, 42, 46, 48, 49, 70, 208)
  • Frank Foyston, F
  • Bernie Morris - C/RW
  • Jack Walker - F
  • Vaclav Nedomansky - C/RW (see posts 35, 39, 53, 54)
  • Kirk Muller - LW/C
  • Vincent Damphousse - C/LW
  • Harry Westwick, F
  • Jack Marshall - F/D
  • Patrik Marleau - C/LW
  • Kent Nilsson - C/RW

Red Kelly, Dit Clapper, Eddie Gerard, Ebbie Goodfellow, Babe Siebert and Mosse Johnson were already decided to be primarily defensemen.

my takes:

- Can't say for sure Howe is a LW or C, but obviously his time at D was nowhere near significant enough.
- 3 Seattle Players: Foyston was mostly a C as far as I could ever tell. I know there have been a few references to him at RW but - someone correct me if I'm wrong - he was usually the C of the Walker-Foyston-Morris line which was together for 7 full seasons (17-23)... this was the most significant time of all three players' careers and pretty much answers the question for all three of them if it's true.

1917: the playoffs according to The Trail, had Walker at RW-R-RW-R, Foyston at L-L-L-L, and Morris at C-C-C-C. Doesn't prove what it was in the season, but it helps.

1918: Walker did not play. Foyston was listed as Rover both games, Morris Center.

1919: Walker was listed as Rover both games. Foyston was simply a wing, but it was not mentioned which one. Based on the other games with other teams this season, it appears they went with RWs on top, LWs on the bottom. He was likely RW once, LW the other times. Morris did not play.

1920: Morris is listed as having 5 GP, but in two summaries he's not listed at all, in the other three he is RW-RW_sub. Walker was R-R-RW-R-RW-R-RW. Foyston was F-F-C-C-C-C-C (listed on top vs. Roberts once, on bottom opposite Harris once, so almost certainly L then RW)

1921: Walker was Rover both games. Foyston was W both games (both times on same line as Alf Skinner, so likely RW). Morris was listed as a sub one game, and the opposite wing as Foyston the other, so RW.

1922: Foyston was LW-C in 2 games, Morris RW-RW, Walker R-R.

no playoffs for Seattle in 1923.

So based on these 7 seasons, here's what we have:

Walker:
R: 12

Morris:
C: 6
sub: 2

Foyston:
C: 10
R: 2
LW: 3
RW: 4

Well that's kinda weird, that we may end up calling all three of them centers despite them usually being on the same sheet of ice together. The reason is, one of them was always a center, one a rover (closest to center), and one a winger, with another guy like Cully Wilson or Jim Riley on the other wing.

Maybe their other playoff games can add extra illumination... here's what I have for their other playoff games:

Foyston:
C: 7
sub: 11

Walker:
LW: 10
RW: 13

Morris:
C: 1
RW: 2
LW: 1

so if we can say their playoff games tell the story (and they did play a much larger proportion of playoff games than most players in their day, and playoffs should be weighted more heavily to begin with), Foyston is a clear center, Walker a clear RW and Morris is a 7-7 RW-C split.

Muller: The TOI sheet tends to be mostly correct, and it has him as LW in 86-92, and C the other 12 seasons. However, His 6 highest scoring seasons, in order, are 88, 93, 90, 92, 87, 89. He was apparently a LW in 5 of those 6. Tough one.

Damphousse: was apparently a LW for 9 seasons, then a C for 9 seasons. If that's true, his best 2 seasons were as a C, but next 4 best were as LW. Needs further research.

Westwick: The Trail has him as a rover. No time to research all his playoff games.

Marshall: The Trail explicitly describes his career. He was a forward pre-NHA, and a defenceman in the NHA (so, 8 seasons of each). Considering he led the regular season in scoring one season and playoffs another as a forward, and was never a true all-star defenseman (just a solid respected vet, but not a Joe Hall, Cleghorn, Ross, etc) he should be a forward.

Marleau: Let's not kid ourselves and imagine we're considering him. But he's been mostly a center aside from a few recent seasons. and was he really a better player those seasons, or did he have better linemates than in the other years of his career?

Nilsson: I don't know, I thought he was always center. But does it matter?

I think we can reopen this if multiple wings fans object, but let's put Zetterberg as a C. That seems to be what the majority of wings fans who commented earlier in the thread said anyway.

What I'm getting from your post on the three Seattle players is that Foynston was definitely primarily a C, Morris was all over the place, and Walker split between being a rover and a winger. I think I want to call Walker a winger. I know we say that rover was most similar to the modern center, so we generally are considering rovers as centers for the purpose of this project. But if a rover like Walker almost always plays wing when he moved up front, I think we should call him a wing. The large majority of rovers generally played C when they moved up front; Walker seems to have almost always played wing. Morris is all over the place and more research is needed.

I'll leave Westwick and Marshall open for now.

I agree with you that from my memory, Nilsson was mostly a center, who would sometimes be moved to the wing if the coach got fed up with his terrible defensive play. But his natural position was a center, IIRC correctly. Since you more or less recall the same thing, I'll add him as a center.

I'll also add Marleau as a center too, basically agree with what you say - he was a center before shifting position to accommodate Joe Thornton, plus, again, not worth arguing about.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Nedomansky

Looking at some yearbooks from the late 70s early 80s, I find:

2 sources from 74 calling him a defecting center.

1 source from 77 calling him a forward.

5 sources from his Red Wing years, with 4 calling him a center and only one calling him a right wing.

Ugh, it really seems like he might have been primarily a center. I'm still a little reluctant to call him one, and it might be for a stupid reason, but I feel calling him a center would confuse people who have participated in ATDs and whatnot.

Okay, that sounds stupid, but there is a point - he's been considered exclusively a RW in the ATDs, including by pappyline who was a fan of Nedomansky from watching him play (I think in the WHA). And Nedomansky is a guy who would have a real chance of making the RW list if we left him there. I dunno. Maybe I was just looking forward to a Martinec vs Nedomansky debate... But I'm worried that if we include Nedomansky as a center, a lot of posters who would included him as a RW would forget about him.

Still, if he usually played center...

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Looks like Howe had six full seasons as a center, just three as a winger, and six in a switch hitting role. You'd think that means I would call him a center, but considering the hr positions aren't gospel and the all star votes in three of these seasons directly contradict them, I feel calling him a winger would be erring on the side of caution.

His bio in The Trail lists a lot of his linemates, over his career. That might shed more light on this.

Have you had a chance to look at the Trail? I don't own it, so I can't look at it myself.

Syd Howe seems to be quite the stubborn case here.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Zetterberg, Foynston,Walker, Morris, Syd Howe.

The question has to look at who they were matched against besides simply looking at faceoffs or line-up data. The match-up factor goes to the heart of the rankings, their defensive attributes.

Pulford was a LW who played some center out of team need.

Well, if the question of matchups is important, Zetterberg pretty much has to be a center, since his most famous matchups were against Crosby in back-to-back playoffs, right?

I know what you mean that matchups are important, but they are really time-consuming to look up for older players, and if you can find out positions otherwise (like 70s did to my satisfaction with Foynston and Walker at least), it's a much faster way to get to the same thing.

I added your post as support to Pulford being primarily a LW on the list, since I know you saw him play.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
[*]Vincent Damphousse - C/LW - consider him a LW (see posts 15, 216, 217)

Pretty sure Muller was playing C at least some of the time in that 86-92 period. Unless my brain has failed me totally I remember that. ;)

I'm not sure what seasons you are considering best but Damphousse's highest scoring season was as a Leaf was definitely exclusively as a LW. He played LW that year and the year before with a rotating center (Fergus/Thibaudeau) and mostly Daniel Marois on the RW.

He was a LW pretty much all the time I can remember in a Leaf uniform.

TOI and/or linemate data might beg to differ with my recollection, but I've always considered Muller a centre

Muller was definitely a center early in his career with NJ. He then switched after a few years and after that bounced around a lot between center and LW.

Damphousse, on the other hand, was running down Olczyk's wing during the pre-Habs years if I'm not mistaken (for some reason I can't remember if/when he played centre with Edmonton just before,

Olczyk's normal left winger was Mark Osborne.

But yes, Damphousse was almost exclusively a winger with the Leafs and he did play some center with Edmonton but I didn't see as much of him there due to the time difference to put a number on it.

These guys are tough, they played enough of both to really go either way for me. I always think of Damphousse as a LW though because I saw most of him as a Leaf.

Going to consider Muller as a C and Damphousse as a LW.

I think that is a fair assessment at least in that is the positions they are "remembered" at for whatever reason but these guys have quite a split in their positions.

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
Have you had a chance to look at the Trail? I don't own it, so I can't look at it myself.

Syd Howe seems to be quite the stubborn case here.

Trail has him a rover in every playoff game as far as I can tell. There's a handful of unclear series, but the only other possibility besides rover would be center so he seems like one we can safely call a pure center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad