Hogwarts Legacy (February 10th, 2023) - Mod warning in OP

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Yeah, I've seen some, just that The Gamer for example had a whole article on why they think it's okay to cover Atomic Heart and but didn't cover Hogwarts. I'm just much more questionable about how Atomic Heart was financed and where exactly revenue's from that game will go (aka where is it being taxed, etc.) Seems like a much bigger story than JK Rowling's views but seems mostly glossed over.
Journalism in gaming is pretty much non-existent. They are more interested in creating clickbait articles and pandering to the lowest common denominator. Criticizing this game because of it's ties to a certain author is simply much easier and gets more clicks than exposing Mundfish.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Finished the game up tonight. The story kind of got a little sloppy in the second half, not gonna lie.

Think I’m gonna put in some work and try to 100% the game. At least get through the side quests. Not sure I’ll have the patience for finding all field guide pages, collections, etc.

How different is the game by your House choice or decision making? I know there’s an exclusive quest for each House, and you can choose to not learn the Dark Arts, but what else?

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Yeah, I've seen some, just that The Gamer for example had a whole article on why they think it's okay to cover Atomic Heart and but didn't cover Hogwarts. I'm just much more questionable about how Atomic Heart was financed and where exactly revenue's from that game will go (aka where is it being taxed, etc.) Seems like a much bigger story than JK Rowling's views but seems mostly glossed over.
I dont think either is even slightly controversial imo, but i guess to give the boycott hogwarts bandwagon some credit, there is a sizeable portion that also want to boycott atomic heart. At least cancel culture is consistent thats one thing you can give them credit for.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I'm underwhelmed with the game so far. It's more of a Ubisoft checklist type game than I had hoped for.

It's pretty light on the rpg mechanics. The combat system is quite good, but there isn't much challenge so it gets dull and repetitive. Exploring Hogwarts is great, but the outside world isn't as interesting though it is beautiful.

Being a student at Hogwarts and killing thousands of people and creatures by the time the game is over just feels weird.

There are a lot of good things here they can build off of in the inevitable sequel, but there is a lot of room for improvement.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'm underwhelmed with the game so far. It's more of a Ubisoft checklist type game than I had hoped for.

It's pretty light on the rpg mechanics. The combat system is quite good, but there isn't much challenge so it gets dull and repetitive. Exploring Hogwarts is great, but the outside world isn't as interesting though it is beautiful.

Being a student at Hogwarts and killing thousands of people and creatures by the time the game is over just feels weird.

There are a lot of good things here they can build off of in the inevitable sequel, but there is a lot of room for improvement.
I haven't played it yet, but based on you lots reviews, this game needs a Mass Effect/RDRII morality bar.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I dont think either is even slightly controversial imo, but i guess to give the boycott hogwarts bandwagon some credit, there is a sizeable portion that also want to boycott atomic heart. At least cancel culture is consistent thats one thing you can give them credit for.
I don't really agree. I'm trying to put as little as possible money into the Russian economy as possible, and one of Atomic Hearts biggest investors is a Gazprom exec and the studio only relocated recently because it likely wouldn't have been able to ship if still based in Russia due to trade embargos.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Finished the game up tonight. The story kind of got a little sloppy in the second half, not gonna lie.

Think I’m gonna put in some work and try to 100% the game. At least get through the side quests. Not sure I’ll have the patience for finding all field guide pages, collections, etc.

How different is the game by your House choice or decision making? I know there’s an exclusive quest for each House, and you can choose to not learn the Dark Arts, but what else?
Not much. Its a lot of the same so far.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Grew up a huge HP fan as I was 10 when Philospher's Stone came out. Got books 4-7 at midnight, etc. Still read (well, listen to the audiobooks) the series about once a year.

Other than FIFA, haven't bought or played a new game in years, and I've never been much of an RPG fan...but I've been really looking forward to this. Got my PS5 last week and finally started playing today.

Holy cow is this is a treat. Hogwarts is spectacularly well done. They absolutely nailed the vibe. I had a grin on my face for hours tonight while playing. The level of detail is off the charts, and as a book nerd, I love it. In my first hour at Hogwarts I stumbled across the Tapestry of Barnabas the Barmy and immediately knew what that meant (though I think it's too early for me to have access). I love the other paintings and statues and whatnot that are referenced in the books and movies. I'm sure as I play more I'll end up fast traveling, but for now I love walking around and exploring the castle the long way.

The combat is good so far. I just visited Hogsmeade for the first time which was fun.

I'm taking my time to explore and do all of the side quests I can. I have no desire to rush through this game. It has lived up to the hype and more.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Grew up a huge HP fan as I was 10 when Philospher's Stone came out. Got books 4-7 at midnight, etc. Still read (well, listen to the audiobooks) the series about once a year.

Other than FIFA, haven't bought or played a new game in years, and I've never been much of an RPG fan...but I've been really looking forward to this. Got my PS5 last week and finally started playing today.

Holy cow is this is a treat. Hogwarts is spectacularly well done. They absolutely nailed the vibe. I had a grin on my face for hours tonight while playing. The level of detail is off the charts, and as a book nerd, I love it. In my first hour at Hogwarts I stumbled across the Tapestry of Barnabas the Barmy and immediately knew what that meant (though I think it's too early for me to have access). I love the other paintings and statues and whatnot that are referenced in the books and movies. I'm sure as I play more I'll end up fast traveling, but for now I love walking around and exploring the castle the long way.

The combat is good so far. I just visited Hogsmeade for the first time which was fun.

I'm taking my time to explore and do all of the side quests I can. I have no desire to rush through this game. It has lived up to the hype and more.
This is a REALLY, REALLY well done game. My only gripe is there isn't a photo mode.

Reactions: GabeTravels

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
I'd guess I'm 20 hours in? Feel like I've barely scratched the surface, haha. Been doing all the side quests as they come (Daedalion Keys aside, getting those as I go), and not really fast traveling except to/from Hogsmeade.

Just did my first Forbidden Forest jaunt...I hate spiders, haha.

Unlocked Talents... Really not sure what to spend them on yet!

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I'd guess I'm 20 hours in? Feel like I've barely scratched the surface, haha. Been doing all the side quests as they come (Daedalion Keys aside, getting those as I go), and not really fast traveling except to/from Hogsmeade.

Just did my first Forbidden Forest jaunt...I hate spiders, haha.

Unlocked Talents... Really not sure what to spend them on yet!
Focus on Spells. Just a tip.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
FYI, if you're on PC and hate the camera position, like me, you can use a mod to put it wherever you want. I have it centered on and further behind my character and am a lot happier now.

hogwartscamera.jpg

Links and my instructions for setting it up:
1. Download CustomizableCamera.
2. Download UE4SS (needed for the mod to work).
3. Download Blueprint_Apparate (needed for the mod's UI).
4. Unzip the "UE4SS" zip to <gamefolder>\Phoenix\Binaries\Win64.
5. Open UE4SS-settings.ini, scroll down to the [Debug] section and set GuiConsoleEnabled to 0 to disable the UE4SS window at startup.
6. Unzip the "CustomizableCamera" zip to <gamefolder>.
7. Unzip the "BP Apparate" zip to <gamefolder>\Phoenix\Content\Paks\~mods.
8. Run the game and load your character.
9. Press F6 to display the CustomizableCamera UI.
10. Choose your settings, press Save and click on the X button to close. Press F6 again at any time to edit them.
If, for whatever reason, my instructions don't work, just see the original instructions on the Description page at the first link.

Edit: I just discovered that I can approximate a 1st-person view by moving the camera in front of my character, though I'm not sure how playable it'll be.

hogwartscamera2.jpg

Edit #2: The mod now allows for switching to a 1st-person view without us needing to set it up.

Last edited:

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
Beat the story last night, the 2nd half of the game turned into a fast travel fest having to go back and forth. Going to do the side stuff so when they eventually release a DLC everything is complete.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Beat the story last night, the 2nd half of the game turned into a fast travel fest having to go back and forth. Going to do the side stuff so when they eventually release a DLC everything is complete.
Developers say zero DLC is coming.

As for the last gen, I'm guessing it'll run decent on the One X and Pro, like Cyberpunk did, but run like buggy mess on the original systems

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Developers say zero DLC is coming.

As for the last gen, I'm guessing it'll run decent on the One X and Pro, like Cyberpunk did, but run like buggy mess on the original systems
If they can't figure out how to run it on a decently on a base PS4 or X Box One that Switch version is never coming out or if it is, the state it will be in will be interesting.

Reactions: Jovavic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad