Hogwarts Legacy (February 10th, 2023) - Mod warning in OP

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
My hope is that the success of this game, being a single player only game, encourages more companies to move away from these shitty live service models with broken multiplayer being the only selling point.
I think we are already starting to see a shift there with EA doing Jedi Survivor and the Dead Space remake. The issue is, game development lags significantly and it's not like you can turn a project like Suicide Squad around this late in development. While companies know that live-service games are insanely profitable when successful, they are also starting to realize the pool of people dedicated to mostly playing live-service is limited and that is where money is made. So, for a highly successful live-service game you have to pull them from things like World of Warcraft, Warzone, Apex, GTA Online, Destiny, Fortnite, FF IV, rather than bringing new players into the genre en mass.

Reactions: PeteWorrell

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Got the game at launch. Not a Harry Potter head at all but seemed like a cool concept.

Think I put about 10-15 hours in and after seeing what the gameplay loop had to offer I lost interest.

But I can see why some people like it a lot. Just not my cup of tea

Reactions: Roric

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Got the game at launch. Not a Harry Potter head at all but seemed like a cool concept.

Think I put about 10-15 hours in and after seeing what the gameplay loop had to offer I lost interest.

But I can see why some people like it a lot. Just not my cup of tea
Same here. Probably made it 6-8 hours though. If I was a fan of Harry Potter this probably would have been one of my favorite games however but I just dont know much about the Harry Potter world to really get sucked in.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Finished the main storyline at 55ish hours. Probably have another 20 or so to 100%. I'll do it on this first playthrough but will take my time.

I'd probably give a final score of 9/10?

The first 20 hours or so are simply sublime. Easily a 10/10 for me. It definitely suffers a bit as you get away from Hogwarts (though the world still looks beautiful). The combat remained extremely fun, but as you get more powerful some of the nuance is lost. So maybe an 8/10 for the back half.

The story was good enough. I really enjoyed the relationship side quests, Sebastian's in particular. I do think an area the game is lacking is a lack of your decisions/dialogue actually mattering, which will hurt playability. A morality system or something along those lines would be good.

All in all though, Avalanche truly knocked it out of the park with their first AAA game, and you could tell there was love behind the development. I would imagine a sequel is all but assured and I'm hopeful they'll approach it in the same manor.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I don't think the campaign worked.

They also announced Harry Potter Quidditch Champions?

Seems like a MOBA and I'm skeptical it can succeed long term but Pokemon Unite by Tencent seems to have staying power so maybe the Harry Potter brand + competitive game experience could succeed too.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Apparently it runs really well on PS4 and Xbox One. It’s almost as beautiful as on the XSX, plays at a locked 30fps. The only negative, and there’s really not much you can do, is the loading times entering and leaving the castle (~45 seconds from what I’ve read).

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Apparently it runs really well on PS4 and Xbox One. It’s almost as beautiful as on the XSX, plays at a locked 30fps. The only negative, and there’s really not much you can do, is the loading times entering and leaving the castle (~45 seconds from what I’ve read).
Where are you reading it is taking 45 seconds to load in and out of the castle? Going in and out takes about 5 seconds.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Where are you reading it is taking 45 seconds to load in and out of the castle? Going in and out takes about 5 seconds.

On a last-gen console, unless you’re going in and out so it’s already pre-loaded, there’s no chance it takes 5 seconds. Even on an SSD it takes a few seconds sometimes.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019

On a last-gen console, unless you’re going in and out so it’s already pre-loaded, there’s no chance it takes 5 seconds. Even on an SSD it takes a few seconds sometimes.

So that is to load up the game, not to load specific areas.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
So that is to load up the game, not to load specific areas.
Maybe that Twitter post was for the foo flames, but I’ve read pretty bad load times entering and leaving the castle (obviously if you’re leaving or entering for the first time in a while).

Which is normal for a last-gen experience

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Performance issues on previews gen consoles are a non-complaint. Those people are lucky they even made the game possible to play it on the old gen.

I didn’t have any loading issues. There’s a quick half a second stutter going through a few doors connecting the castle and grounds but other than that nothing bad in my experience.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
The Xbox One S version looks suprisingly good. This is a really smart thoughtful port. The PS4 and PS4 Pro version are even better.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I read yesterday that it's sold over 15 million copies and grossed over $1B. Apparently, that's not enough.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I know everyone is playing Diablo or Zelda, but I picked this up during the buy-2-get-1-for-free promotion for Father's Day and this game is effin' unbelievable. I just finished the Hogsmeade quest four hours in, but there is just so much to do, to see, and to find out. Avalanche did an incredible job making the world alive with things to do and interact with. There are some things that seem like a grind, particularly those butterfly pictures and I absolutely dislike the gear slot ratio at the very beginning of the game, but it is nice to actually have the movies come alive to something that is very satisfying to play. Absolutely love the story so far and can't wait where it goes next!

I got the feels when I went into Ollivander's shop for the very first time.

E: Also the voice acting has been one of the best I've heard in a game, all the characters are so fresh.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Quick question. I am sort of confused when it comes to blocking, I see that I get yellow and red warning signals when somebody is about to attack, but I just throw the bubble shield up. If I get a yellow signal, can I use Levioso as a counter? Or should I still press "Y" at the best time possible to counter an attack?

Also, what counter should I do for red ones? I just dodge since these attacks break my bubble shield, but I do not know if there is a better way to deal with these more powerful attacks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad