Hogwarts Legacy (February 10th, 2023) - Mod warning in OP

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Not sure if it was asked yet as I haven't gone thru the whole thread, but is it worth playing for someone who has never seen or read anything from the Harry Potter universe? Is the game and story good enough to stand on it's own with no previous knowledge?

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Not sure if it was asked yet as I haven't gone thru the whole thread, but is it worth playing for someone who has never seen or read anything from the Harry Potter universe? Is the game and story good enough to stand on it's own with no previous knowledge?
Has been asked and for the most part from what I recall without skimming through the comments were they are enjoying it even without knowledge of the books or movies.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I'm enjoying it a lot without knowing anything about the books.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
It’s accentuated if you saw the movies and especially if you read the books but you don’t need to be familiar with either to enjoy it. The combat and exploration through the world is fun.

It’s sort of like how people who didn’t read the Game of Thrones books still enjoyed the show a lot

My biggest gripe is I don’t like the joystick cursor for menu navigation in at all. It’s too slow on a controller. Flying a broom could feel better as well as it’s jumpy at times. Other than that everything is honestly great.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
This will probably be my next purchase. I've been playing the hell out of Chivalry 2 lately, so not sure I'll buy Harry Pothead at full price.

The good news is- the wifey <3 Harry Potter. To the point she's willing to watch me play Harry Potter on a date night, which I think sounds awesome. I also enjoyed the movies, so I'm sure I'll like exploring the world.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Yeah from what I've played so far its a typical modern open world "RPG" in the vein of Horizon Zero Dawn or the new Assassins Creed games. I would not have touched this game if not for the IP.

Reactions: King 88

DynamiteKid

Aug 12, 2005
Stony Plain
Finished it last night at level 33. Still lots to do in the game from what I can see. I barely touched the SE part of the map.

Gonna do an a-hole Slytherin the next playthrough after not even casting an Unforgivable Curse with my Ravenclaw and choosing all the "nice" answers.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yeah from what I've played so far its a typical modern open world "RPG" in the vein of Horizon Zero Dawn or the new Assassins Creed games. I would not have touched this game if not for the IP.
I rarely see Horizon Zero Dawn series categorized as an RPG, while this game seemed to lean into that in the marketing. It definetely falls more into the action/adventure realm of gaming. Pretty much all AAA games especially those with open worlds have some level of RPG mechanics such as upgrade trees, maybe limited dialog choice (but no impact on overall gameplay/moral system), weapons crafted with perks, etc. But aren't made like WRPG's where choices have significant impact, and there is significant freedom. I'm not a big traditional RPG guy, and I do feel those mechanics have helped improve games with more streamlined experiences, but Harry Potter would have been a cool IP to make a WRPG with, although, who knows if the team was up for something like that, as those games are traditionally quite difficult to build and tend to launch buggy. Plus are hard to make very cinematic, as you'd need a ridiculous amounts of cutscenes to be created based on choices.

Reactions: Chaels Arms

PepperKeenan

Sep 22, 2012
Sweden
It’s accentuated if you saw the movies and especially if you read the books but you don’t need to be familiar with either to enjoy it. The combat and exploration through the world is fun.

It’s sort of like how people who didn’t read the Game of Thrones books still enjoyed the show a lot

My biggest gripe is I don’t like the joystick cursor for menu navigation in at all. It’s too slow on a controller. Flying a broom could feel better as well as it’s jumpy at times. Other than that everything is honestly great.
You can speed it up in the accessibility settings, set the cursos sensitivity on max. Also, turn camera acceleration all the way down and camera sensitivty up.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Is there any way to have newly acquired side quests not be the active quest after getting them? For example, you're on your way to a main quest that's being tracked, you happen upon a side quest and it's automatically the new tracked quest. I know you can just go into the quest list and retrack the previous quest but that's a hassle lol

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I've gotta be really stupid because I find the combat in this game to be extremely difficult.
Once you get all the spells and talents it gets complicated. I just mapped my favorite 4 spells and use those 4 almost exclusively (expelliarmus, confringo, glacius and accio).

I also use the target lock more now and just try to parry/dodge attacks from enemies I'm not focused on.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The different colored shields make it confusing at times. Unforgivable Curses go right through all of them though :)

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Once you get all the spells and talents it gets complicated. I just mapped my favorite 4 spells and use those 4 almost exclusively (expelliarmus, confringo, glacius and accio).

I also use the target lock more now and just try to parry/dodge attacks from enemies I'm not focused on.
I've been color coordinating my spell slots. 1 purple, 1 red, 1 yellow and 1 blue (even though blue isn't used for combat as far as I can tell). That way I don't have to worry about not having the wrong color vs certain enemies. I will always have something to counter them with in each spell slot.

Also, Petrificus Totalus is ridiculously OP. Literally one shots enemies.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I've been color coordinating my spell slots. 1 purple, 1 red, 1 yellow and 1 blue (even though blue isn't used for combat as far as I can tell). That way I don't have to worry about not having the wrong color vs certain enemies. I will always have something to counter them with in each spell

I did that as well but also put the yellow spell on the Y and red spell on B on the Xbox controller so it matches the colors for the defend and dodge prompts

Reactions: Hammettf2b

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I know this is a bigger release that gets it way more attention, but I'm sort of surprised the amount of visable outrage over this game compared to Atomic Heart which I'm more uneasy about playing or buying (yes, I know Mundfish is now technically a "global" company based in Cypress now).

Reactions: x Tame Impala

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I know this is a bigger release that gets it way more attention, but I'm sort of surprised the amount of visable outrage over this game compared to Atomic Heart which I'm more uneasy about playing or buying (yes, I know Mundfish is now technically a "global" company based in Cypress now).
I’ve seen plenty about Atomic Heart. But its a new IP compared to a AAA game attached to the Harry Potter world, so it will fly under the radar more.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I’ve seen plenty about Atomic Heart. But its a new IP compared to a AAA game attached to the Harry Potter world, so it will fly under the radar more.
Yeah, I've seen some, just that The Gamer for example had a whole article on why they think it's okay to cover Atomic Heart and but didn't cover Hogwarts. I'm just much more questionable about how Atomic Heart was financed and where exactly revenue's from that game will go (aka where is it being taxed, etc.) Seems like a much bigger story than JK Rowling's views but seems mostly glossed over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad