Friedman: Hoffman is on the trade block in Ottawa

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
At best he might be worth a bad cap dump player but his NHL career is probably in jeopardy.
Who would want to play with this guy knowing that his fiancee stalked the captain of his former team and that he supported her? Its difficult to imagine any worse transgression in a locker room. I cant imagine any team wanting a part of this toxic mess and it would be a serious risk. Teams would have to approach this like it was an experiment and plan for the possibility of eating his contract.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
I'm not a Dorion fan, but it's kind of a double-edged sword.

What was he supposed to do if the Karlssons wanted it private?

No doubt a difficult situation to be in. Though the right thing to do is be honest, if the Karlssons are pressing charges they cannot expect privacy for long. Either way, doesn't change the fact that if I'm a gm who has been negotiating with Dorian, and he kept very material negative information secret, I would be furious.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Last time I checked it was Hoffy GF that was one accused of saying mean things to another girl.....Trying to snake him for a cap dump is just being bush

Last time I checked, the other woman was Erik Karlssons wife, and the mean things she was saying to her was wishing death / harm upon her unborn child. And she also wished harm upon Karlsson. Get real and stop trying to water this down.

Numerous wives of players that have played on the team with Hoffman and Karlsson are saying this isn't a shocker.

Lets stop acting like it's just some gossip that has no weight to it.

Reactions: amethyst

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
7th round pick to save Ottawa the trouble of filling out the required waivers paperwork.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Last time I checked, the other woman was Erik Karlssons wife, and the mean things she was saying to her was wishing death / harm upon her unborn child. And she also wished harm upon Karlsson. Get real and stop trying to water this down.

Numerous wives of players that have played on the team with Hoffman and Karlsson are saying this isn't a shocker.

However, in complete fairness, we've only heard one side. Until Hoffman, his wife and his legal team respond, it's still one sided. On the flip side, as a guy who works in IT and has been working in IT for over 20 years, this whole scenario has set warning bells off. Something definitely isn't on the up and up here because stuff like this is easily traced. I really can't see Hoffman's fiance doing something like this with repercussions that could potential be NHL career ending. Something just doesn't sit right about this whole scenario.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
However, in complete fairness, we've only heard one side. Until Hoffman, his wife and his legal team respond, it's still one sided. On the flip side, as a guy who works in IT and has been working in IT for over 20 years, this whole scenario has set warning bells off. Something definitely isn't on the up and up here because stuff like this is easily traced. I really can't see Hoffman's fiance doing something like this with repercussions that could potential be NHL career ending. Something just doesn't sit right about this whole scenario.

We have heard multiple people say this isn't a shocker. So we have heard more than one side so far.

Reactions: THall4

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Some will still be interested, and with competition, price will not be a low pick or cap dump, imho. Probably no 1st picks offered now, but a 2nd and a prospect well within reason of OTT plays it right.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Considering the price for Hoffman was "very high" last weekend according to Friedman. I would assume Dorian has upset many GMs by attempting to deal Hoffman in bad faith.

What "bad faith" ?? The guy is the exact same player he was last weekend. No denying that there's a shit ton of drama surrounding him that wasn't there a week ago, but GMs are trading for the player, and the player is the exact same. He's not hurt or recovering from some terrible injury... so there's no way there's a "bad faith" issue here.

Bobby Mac even said the same thing yesterday. GMs need to do their own due diligence on players.

Reactions: Jorkkila

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
If I had been with the same GF for years, and then after becoming aware of the situation I stuck by her while everyone around me knew what was going on but me.... it certainly wouldn't look good on me.

And if she turns out to be innocent, then how does he look? Either way, if he isnt involved, he has done nothing wrong. Standing by your gf is nobel, even if strangers dont like her.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
While I have no clue if it's true or not, but there have been posts in here where Hoffman has been standing up for his GF (which I get). But if this is true (or even if it's not), there's no chance that he's going to be able to stay in that room. And even if he dumps his long term GF... that will absolutely follow him around to his new team to some extent.

I love it that that cheap ass Melynk has to deal with this... but I feel bad for Ottawa and the fans.

I dont get it. If hoffman’s gf did not do this, there should be no consequences for him other than being moved. I agree that karlsson and hoffman will not be on the same team. Dont see how hoffman’s new teammates will care.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
We have heard multiple people say this isn't a shocker. So we have heard more than one side so far.

We've heard Julie Turris and Marlee Hammond comment. They didn't mention Monika Caryk by name. So, until they say "yes, it was Monika Caryk", the story is one sided. If they named names, that would be something entirely different. And as mentioned, in this day and age, it's not hard to trace things back. As well, if there was any guilt, Hoffman would have lawyered up and not participate in the league investigation to get to the bottom of this. Once again, there's something off about this. I don't doubt that the Karlsson's have experienced online bullying, but there's more going on here than what the general public knows. Until the full story is released, everything is conjecture and speculation.

Reactions: Riptide and Pure

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I dont get it. If hoffman’s gf did not do this, there should be no consequences for him other than being moved. I agree that karlsson and hoffman will not be on the same team. Dont see how hoffman’s new teammates will care.

Lets say this is all true. Your team just acquires Hoffman. Do you really want anything to do with him or his GF? How will it affect your room if you're good with MH, but do not want his GF around the team or any of the other WAGs? I mean I can easily see a situation where MH is isolated due to either not being able to bring his GF to events/functions. The room might be okay, but MH might not be.

Some team will take him... but his value is going to be shit. And I imagine that regardless of how things turn out, that his relationship with his new teammates will be strained for some time.

All in all, regardless of the allegations, what a shitty situation for Hoffman. He's the big loser here.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Lets say this is all true. Your team just acquires Hoffman. Do you really want anything to do with him or his GF? How will it affect your room if you're good with MH, but do not want his GF around the team or any of the other WAGs? I mean I can easily see a situation where MH is isolated due to either not being able to bring his GF to events/functions. The room might be okay, but MH might not be.

Some team will take him... but his value is going to be ****. And I imagine that regardless of how things turn out, that his relationship with his new teammates will be strained for some time.

All in all, regardless of the allegations, what a ****ty situation for Hoffman. He's the big loser here.

If this is true, he will most likely dump his gf. As a gm i would still take him if he does that. Why would his new teammates care? I would never care about what my coworker’s gf has done, and i would absolutely not blame him for someone else’s actions.

Reactions: Jorkkila

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
A half dozen other wives/gfs came out defending the Karlssons and some arent even in the Sens organization anymore. Anyone thinking Hoffman and his whatever are innocent have blinders on at this point.

Hoffman has to get rid of her or he will be blackballed from this league. There is literal proof of the things she said and no player and especially the players wives will accept them into the locker room/organization.

Reactions: Cult of Hynes

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
We've heard Julie Turris and Marlee Hammond comment. They didn't mention Monika Caryk by name. So, until they say "yes, it was Monika Caryk", the story is one sided. If they named names, that would be something entirely different. And as mentioned, in this day and age, it's not hard to trace things back. As well, if there was any guilt, Hoffman would have lawyered up and not participate in the league investigation to get to the bottom of this. Once again, there's something off about this. I don't doubt that the Karlsson's have experienced online bullying, but there's more going on here than what the general public knows. Until the full story is released, everything is conjecture and speculation.

They commented on the situation where Monkika was named. They don't have to say her name directly.

Christ, the fence sitting and mental gymnastics are comical at this point.

It's pretty evident who they were commenting about.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If this is true, he will most likely dump his gf. As a gm i would still take him if he does that. Why would his new teammates care? I would never care about what my coworker’s gf has done, and i would absolutely not blame him for someone else’s actions.

They've been together (as others have reported) for 10 years, and are engaged. I don't think he's ditching her anytime soon.

How often does your work have your WAGs around your office? Because the WAGs of the NHL are likely around and involved a lot more then most work situations. They likely come to most home games, and I'm sure that when home the players and WAGs to some extent hang out with eachother.

Now what happens when no one wants MH's WAG around, so they have a party, and just don't invite MH? When you're supposed to be a close knit group and ones SO isn't liked and thus neither are invited to be part of the group, it can affect things in a weird way.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013

Last time I checked, it has not been confirmed who left those comments on instagram or wherever. Yes I think there is some sort of beef between the two women, obvious from the comments from other players' SOs. But you can't go around stamping these comments to anyone without proof.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Hoffman knew. Why he let it go on is a major mystery. It's career suicide. Poisoned workplaces can result in legal action in Canada. The judgement would be based on what the injured party lost in dollar terms! :popcorn:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

His new teammates might not care much but they may still be suspicious and if his gf starts acting odd people may be quick to draw a conclusion. There's going to be a stigma surrounding her from now on (Right or Wrong). Putting toothpaste back in the tube is a messy ordeal. In the mean time, this situation likely won't be resolved for some time which means Hoffman will likely have reduced value for a while. If the allegations are true, who wants her near their lockerroom? If she could write those horrible things to a mother in mourning over a miscarriage what is she capable of doing the rest of the time? There's no guarantee that Hoffman will be accepting of the findings if she is found guilty. Love can make people blind to the faults of their significant others.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Feels like listening to Friedman is as much a waste of time as Dregger these past few weeks.
Are there any hockey fans out there who were not aware that Hoffman has been on the trade block?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad