Friedman: Hoffman is on the trade block in Ottawa

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'm sure there's still interest. GM's in every sport have shown that if a guy can play, they'll overlook things.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I'm sure there's still interest. GM's in every sport have shown that if a guy can play, they'll overlook things.

True. He still have some value in terms of playing, but who would want scumbag like him and his GF? A lot of negative press .... Not to mention it could mess up team chemistry.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Brent Grimes/Miko Grimes hasn't destroyed NFL locker rooms and franchises

Sorry but the idea that his GF will destroy locker room is laughable

Also players have done things such as sleep with teammates wives and destroy families and still play in NHL locker rooms

BA Carroll

Mar 2, 2014
What we do know is Mrs. Karlsson was granted an order of protection. Those are only awarded when a judge feels there is a likely chance of a future crime happening. So, at the very least, it has been proven to a judge that Hoffman's fiance is a threat to the Karlsson's
Do we "know" she was granted an order of protection? Because the reports I've read only indicated that they filed for one. A multimillionaire athelete need only tell his lawyer to file, and it's done. That doesn't establish guilt, nor do gossiping trophy wives reaching a consensus opinion about which side to pile on count as expert witnesses.
My guess is, there was some philandering going on that got out of hand, hard feelings ensued, and a pair of vindictive women have exploited a personal tragedy and the shenanigans of an internet troll to hurt each other. Just a guess.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
She was granted the order of protection but it wasn't finalized which is a much higher standard. Below is filing to seek the order. I cropped the bottom which is left empty for the court to fill out. The entire thing can be found here. The "evidence" is highlighted in blue. It is hardly damning evidence, and doesn't prove anything. In one-sided procedures like this, evidence is generally viewed in the light most favorable to the party presenting. So by that standard the question would be "if what she presented is true, is Ms. Caryk a threat?" That is vastly different than what you said.

View attachment 125161

I wonder why this says Melinda Curry instead of Melinda Karlsson? Seems odd.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

Depending on how backed up the courts are, it can take anywhere from a few weeks to 6 months for a name change to go through. Some people don't file right away or at all. Its a gigantic hassle to change your legal name, as you have to change all you IDs, SS card, insurance policies, bank accounts, property deeds, etc. She could legally still be Curry and only goes by Karlsson unofficially. Its not like you say I do and your name changes automatically.

Reactions: Neiler

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Depending on how backed up the courts are, it can take anywhere from a few weeks to 6 months for a name change to go through. Some people don't file right away or at all. Its a gigantic hassle to change your legal name, as you have to change all you IDs, SS card, insurance policies, bank accounts, property deeds, etc. She could legally still be Curry and only goes by Karlsson unofficially. Its not like you say I do and your name changes automatically.

I didn't know that. Interesting.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
She was granted the order of protection but it wasn't finalized which is a much higher standard. Below is filing to seek the order. I cropped the bottom which is left empty for the court to fill out. The entire thing can be found here. The "evidence" is highlighted in blue. It is hardly damning evidence, and doesn't prove anything. In one-sided procedures like this, evidence is generally viewed in the light most favorable to the party presenting. So by that standard the question would be "if what she presented is true, is Ms. Caryk a threat?" That is vastly different than what you said.

View attachment 125161

You are just referring to the court document. Do you think the actual evidence is already public record? I don't know how it works in Canada but that's highly doubtful. It still speaks volumes to someone's character that it couldn't have been dealt with before it got this far.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
You are just referring to the court document. Do you think the actual evidence is already public record? I don't know how it works in Canada but that's highly doubtful. It still speaks volumes to someone's character that it couldn't have been dealt with before it got this far.

Is that all evidence that exists? No, obviously not. Is that all the evidence that has been presented to get to this point in the proceedings, yes. People keep saying she has gotten a restraining order so there must be overwhelming evidence. Neither is necessarily the case. She has sought one, and has passed the preliminary phase but that doesn't require any more evidence than was listed in the court document. The police then conduct an investigation. If they feel there is enough evidence, they will contact Ms. Caryk and ask if she consents to the order. According to Hoffman's agent, she has not yet been contacted. So the police has not yet finished its investigation. If the police find enough evidence to pursue it further and she refuses to consent, then there will be a hearing and all evidence from both sides will be presented. But even if the police pursue it further, its not a criminal investigation. The standard is much lower. Its only if its more likely than not that there is a potential threat based on accuser's complaint and the investigation. The investigation is not all that thorough though because the defendant will either consent to the bond or there will be a hearing. At least that's how I understand the process from some light research.

It does speak volumes to someone's character that things get this far. But since we don't have basically any evidence, and none from Ms. Caryk, we don't know whose character it is speaking about. People are falsely accused all the time for a variety of reasons. Lashing out in grief not the least among them. I am not saying that's the case here. I am saying we do not know. Anybody who says different based on publicly available information is jumping to unsupported conclusions.

Reactions: BA Carroll

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Because her name is Melinda Currey.

Edit: oh wait, it does say Curry. But everyone spells it Currey. I'm now more confused.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012

Is that all evidence that exists? No, obviously not. Is that all the evidence that has been presented to get to this point in the proceedings, yes. People keep saying she has gotten a restraining order so there must be overwhelming evidence. Neither is necessarily the case. She has sought one, and has passed the preliminary phase but that doesn't require any more evidence than was listed in the court document. The police then conduct an investigation. If they feel there is enough evidence, they will contact Ms. Caryk and ask if she consents to the order. According to Hoffman's agent, she has not yet been contacted. So the police has not yet finished its investigation. If the police find enough evidence to pursue it further and she refuses to consent, then there will be a hearing and all evidence from both sides will be presented. But even if the police pursue it further, its not a criminal investigation. The standard is much lower. Its only if its more likely than not that there is a potential threat based on accuser's complaint and the investigation. The investigation is not all that thorough though because the defendant will either consent to the bond or there will be a hearing. At least that's how I understand the process from some light research.

It does speak volumes to someone's character that things get this far. But since we don't have basically any evidence, and none from Ms. Caryk, we don't know whose character it is speaking about. People are falsely accused all the time for a variety of reasons. Lashing out in grief not the least among them. I am not saying that's the case here. I am saying we do not know. Anybody who says different based on publicly available information is jumping to unsupported conclusions.

But the complaint, correct me if I’m wrong, does constitute a sworn statement on Curry’s part, which is significant. And I imagine she consulted with an attorney, certainly she can afford one, before going forward so it’s not like she did this on a whim or with no basis at all. The things were definitely said to her on her social media pages, so it’s really a matter of how she concluded it was Cary’s writing them.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
But the complaint, correct me if I’m wrong, does constitute a sworn statement on Curry’s part, which is significant. And I imagine she consulted with an attorney, certainly she can afford one, before going forward so it’s not like she did this on a whim or with no basis at all. The things were definitely said to her on her social media pages, so it’s really a matter of how she concluded it was Cary’s writing them.

First, people with lawyers lie under oath and in sworn statements more often than you'd think. In US courts, they swear you in and tell you the consequences for lying before you testify. Yet people tell conflicting stories all the time. That is the reason our constitution gives the unalienable right to confront and question witnesses against you. So you can do your best to catch them in the lie, show bias, or otherwise discredit their testimony. Ms. Caryk has not had that opportunity yet. You have to assume MS Caryk knew the consequences of harassing the wife of her fiancé's more famous teammate. Either Mrs. Karlsson misrepresented the truth, intentionally or unintentionally, or Ms. Caryk acted against her self-interest by harassing her. Why does Mrs. Karlsson get the benefit of the doubt but not Ms. Caryk? Social media and the internet does not wait for evidence. It does not wait to hear both sides of the story. It picks a side with no information and it piles on. Read through some of the posts on this forum, but do so imagining Ms. Caryk is innocent. Its sickening. People who are yelling at her about how horrible cyber-bullying is, cyber-bullied her and Hoffman into shutting down their social media without knowing the full story. So I'm not saying one side or the other is right. I am just cautioning everyone to pump the brakes and not make assumptions they don't know enough to make.

Secondly, whether or not Caryk is behind the posts is the crux of the issue. If the headline had read "Wife of super famous athlete gets insulted a lot on social media", nobody would have batted an eye. But if the significant other of a teammate posted 1000 posts under multiple fake accounts, then its a story. We don't know if that's the case. Maybe its true and Mrs. Karlsson had good reason to believe it. Or maybe in she and Ms Caryk didn't get along and in her grief she needed a face to connect to her pain and lash out at. We don't know. That is why there are hearings where both sides can present evidence and tell their side of the story.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Because her name is Melinda Currey.

Edit: oh wait, it does say Curry. But everyone spells it Currey. I'm now more confused.

It could be a police officer taking dictation for the report and not clarifying the spelling of her name. Or it could be fake. I got it from Forbes website though. I doubt they'd post a fake document.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
It could be a police officer taking dictation for the report and not clarifying the spelling of her name. Or it could be fake. I got it from Forbes website though. I doubt they'd post a fake document.
I wasn't trying to dispute the authenticity. More just confused that an official court document would have the name of the person filing the claim spelled wrong.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

This should have stayed within the Senators organization, as they were well aware of it. This makes the Senators look horrible, and it's obvious that Melnyk needs to go. How on earth are they going to attract free agents, considering they are also one of the smallest markets in the NHL?

Reactions: LeapOnOver

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
This should have stayed within the Senators organization, as they were well aware of it. This makes the Senators look horrible, and it's obvious that Melnyk needs to go. How on earth are they going to attract free agents, considering they are also one of the smallest markets in the NHL?

I'm sure they would have liked to keep it within the organization.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Nope, nothing has been granted as of yet. Mrs. Karlsson did file for one yes, but that only proves that SHE believes that it was Caryk.
The Ottawa citizen article says an application was "sworn in" in early May, that sounded to me like one was granted.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Then they should have done an internal investigation. The Senators knew about this for months, but did nothing. Most others (including teammates and S/O's) knew about it. The blame falls squarely on Ottawa, and that cannot even be disputed.
Melnyk probably tried to launch a forensic investigation

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad