Friedman: Hoffman is on the trade block in Ottawa

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The Flyers should have interest and have pick 14 and 19 in 2018.

What would they have to add to 19 to land Hoffman?

Last edited:

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
Hoffman

for

Perry (assume for discussion he'd waive for OTT)
1st 2018
Andy Welinski OR Marcus Pettersson
Nick Ritchie OR Max Jones

Ottawa fans will prob see Perry without retention and it ends there. Ducks fans will likely think we give up too much in youth and potential.

I see it as Anaheim does overpay slightly to exchange Perry for Hoffman - who addresses everything they need/want - speed and scoring.

Ottawa gets a nice package of quality youth pieces in different positions (and the 1st rounder) and maybe, the change starts a fire under Perry (as well as getting more PP time) and he can pot 20-25G for them and mentor some kids.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I would actually do 14 straight up but I dont think many Flyers fans would agree nor do I think Hextall would make that move; mainly due to his age. Im a big Hoffman fan though!

I think if it was 19 you’d have to add a prospect or another pick. Maybe a young roster player. I don’t know the Flyers well though, so I’m not sure who you guys would add.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I think if it was 19 you’d have to add a prospect or another pick. Maybe a young roster player. I don’t know the Flyers well though, so I’m not sure who you guys would add.

Well we had the #1 ranked prospect system in the NHL last summer. Even with Patrick, Sanheim, and Hagg graduating, its still very deep.

A prospect like Isaac Ratcliffe (early 2nd in 2017 that many rated as a 1st) might interest Ottawa. Hes big, skates well, and is a goal scorer. Actually 19 + Ratcliffe might be a bit too much. We have the pieces though. Dorion asked for Sanheim for Hoffman during the season and that was shot down by Hextall, so theyve been in discussion before.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Dunn + Blais would be fine with me. If you need a replacement LHD we have several.

probably fair value, but I personally do not want to move Dunn he really impressed me last year, he has a really good chance to be something if he keep improving, I'm sure other blues fans might say yes though

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I think the Blues will be getting a new convo going regarding Hoffman. The last round of talks ended in a stalemate but I think there is a fit here. It all depends on how "motivated" a seller Dorian is this summer and how much Armstrong is willing to pay.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Lets be honest guys, if ottowa gets a high pick, whoever they draft will play out their 3 year entry-level contract, then ask for a trade. Wouldn't be surprised if Karlsson, Hoffman, and Stone are all gone in the next couple years.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
So in other news, they are not interested.
Yeah totally bro, because not wanting to move 3 prospects completely eliminates us...

Although to be fair, Kostin should be on the table. Only Thomas and Kyrou wouldn’t be, so that’s just 2 guys.

So you’re saying if we offered a 1st and Thompson, Ottawa wouldn’t listen?

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I could see Ottawa waiting to see if Zadina is there at 4. If he is, they could probably target Hoffman for one of the Islanders’ or Edmonton’s pick.

Zadina is actually a very similar player to Hoffman. I think he’s a safe bet to be at least as good a player.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Yeah totally bro, because not wanting to move 3 prospects completely eliminates us...

Although to be fair, Kostin should be on the table. Only Thomas and Kyrou wouldn’t be, so that’s just 2 guys.

So you’re saying if we offered a 1st and Thompson, Ottawa wouldn’t listen?

I absolutely think Kyrou is on the table this summer for Hoffman. Especially if you land Tavares (and I hope you guys do). Send some cap back to Ottawa along with Kyrou for Hoffman. You guys are immediately cup contenders with the best combination of top6/top4 in the league. Maybe Tampa rivals you but I don't even think so.

Steen-Tavares-Hoffman
Schwartz-Schenn-Tarasenko

Edmundson-Pietrangelo
Dunn-Parayko

And still have Thomas, Thompson, Kostin etc.
I think Armstrong really goes for it this summer.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I absolutely think Kyrou is on the table this summer for Hoffman. Especially if you land Tavares (and I hope you guys do). Send some cap back to Ottawa along with Kyrou for Hoffman. You guys are immediately cup contenders with the best combination of top6/top4 in the league. Maybe Tampa rivals you but I don't even think so.

Steen-Tavares-Hoffman

Edmundson-Pietrangelo
Dunn-Parayko

You are probably right that Kyrou is available in trade talks for the right guy. I was kind of just going by what most Blues fans are wishing for - and that's for Thompson to be traded instead of Kyrou. But we have no idea if the Blues' front office feels the same way.

Frankly, it's really tough to say what the Blues should do without knowing what the market and asking prices is for some of these guys. If we sign Tavares, then yeah I'd love to land Hoffman because I agree with you that that lineup would be an instant threat to win the Stanley Cup.

The problem is that Hoffman likely is traded before July 1 so if we give up good assets for him and then have to settle for a guy like Bozak, it's going to hurt a lot more and we wouldn't be Cup favorites.

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
The offers I read around the deadline involved some combination of Fabbri/Top Prospect/1st. I read both sides were turning down pretty much the same offers so who said yes and who said no is hard to gauge but if Hoffman is available im sure its going to involve something like a 1st+good piece.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Dunn + Blais would be fine with me. If you need a replacement LHD we have several.
Hard pass from me. I would rather hold on to Dunn. (And Kyrou!) I'm not overwhelmed as others about Hoffman. He is a proven goal scorer, I get that we need that, but he's not an impact player that can carry a line. He's also a LHS LW, we have lots of those.

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago

Steen-Tavares-Hoffman

Edmundson-Pietrangelo
Dunn-Parayko

That's a tempting lineup for sure, and my gut says Kyrou is not totally off limits (Thomas being the only absolute non-starter prospect from the Blues). But I suspect he's only available if it's in a deal for a Top 6 center... after having struck out on Tavares.

Signing Tavares would fill the Blues single most glaring need. They could still definitely use another Top 6 winger like Hoffman, but it'd be a secondary concern after filling the center spot. The team probably wouldn't feel the urgent need to throw in their absolute best prospects to do it if they picked up Tavares. Also if they added a major salary like his, it would become even more important to have some cheap ELC talent on the roster so they didn't explode their cap. Hoffman isn't cheap right now (not overpaid, but not cheap), and he's only going to get more expensive if the Blues wanted to extend him. Kyrou would be dirt cheap comparatively, and for longer than the two years Hoffman has on his deal. That's going to be really important if the Blues are adding a 10-12M player to the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad