Hockey's Future's Top 50 Prospects: 26-50

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
montreal25m said:
I saw Kesler play against the Bulldogs last week and by far he was the best player on the ice. He does remind me of a young Trevor Linden.

In terms of Schremp, I really feel his current stats are inflated due to his teams production. I have a feeling he is going to turn out to be the next Daniel Cleary. Clearly was projected to be a "sure fire" NHL player at the draft with insane skill etc, but dropped due to attitude etc. They both seem to be similiar players, just an opinion though.

It is hard to predict the next top 25 players. As a Hab fan, I wonder where Kots, Perez and Chipper fall in.
I also saw Kesler and he was good, but Ellis made him look better than he was. ;)

JR#9*

Hey George, I know you said Jessiman was a guy who just missed the cut but I'm interested as to if Balej was also on the cusp of the list as I don't expect him amoung your top 25.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Jovanovski = Norris said:
The SEL produces som of the best prospects in the world but not all of their top end talent materializes.
In 2001, 11th overall pick Fred Sjostrom has disapointed so far. The 18th overall pick Jens Karlsson also disapointed.

I'd leave Sjostrom off the disappointing bust list. He's had a very reasonable start to his NHL career.. his goalscoring matches that of Hemsky for example.

As for Deslauriers, there's a mistake or misleading implication in his write-up. He wasnt beaten out by just Fleury for the WJC's but by Leneveu too.

Sorry, I'm not picking on Oiler prospects but I'd like the list a lot better if Richards and Schremp were swapped.

Oh and I think Ballard may be a little high.. not sure if he is better than some dmen behind him.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
George Bachul said:
I am impressed, I thought the venom would be worse....but aside from the Kesler debate, it has all been very mild ;) ....although there will be some suprises and omissions on 1-25 that are going to have some questions raised, most certainly.

As a cross section of a panel and input from a dozen people, you won't get everyone who thinks the same way about every prospect.

And Evilo, Whitney didn't have a great start to the season, it was actually pretty terrible, although that wasn't taken into account in the rankings.

Which makes Whitney's placement all the more confusing.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
montreal25m said:
I saw Kesler play against the Bulldogs last week and by far he was the best player on the ice. He does remind me of a young Trevor Linden.

In terms of Schremp, I really feel his current stats are inflated due to his teams production. I have a feeling he is going to turn out to be the next Daniel Cleary. Clearly was projected to be a "sure fire" NHL player at the draft with insane skill etc, but dropped due to attitude etc. They both seem to be similiar players, just an opinion though.

It is hard to predict the next top 25 players. As a Hab fan, I wonder where Kots, Perez and Chipper fall in.

Schremp was a point-per-game player on the Icedogs when they were still a fairly wretched team. Now that he's on the deepest team in the league, he's still well over a point-per-game. What more can he do? He's improved his defense, his attitude "problems" seem to be a non-issue, and he has the confidence of his coach. IMO, he's doing everything he can to prove his critics wrong and make it at the next level. He's no Dan Cleary, who might as well be called the "Tin Man." All skill, no drive or heart.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Roughneck said:
Well, Ryan Miller has probably seen one of the biggest drops of any prospect. Wasn't he ranked #2 a couple years ago?

I know posters like Vlad don't care for him, but I think his development has been mis-managed by the Sabres. He's been stuck behind Biron and Noronen for a few years now, when at the very least he should be a back-up at the NHL level. I think he's sick of it. He either needs to be the man, or get traded.

Last edited:

Omniscient Gadfly

Apr 6, 2003
Visit site
a couple of issues ...

1. Schremp

I don't agree with posters who argue that Schremp's numbers are inflated because of the team he's playing on. Schremp's production is a cause of his team's performance, not a result of it. Perry is lighting it up, yes, but Dale Hunter didn't even have Robbie playing with Perry until very recently. Factor that with Schremp's efforts to become a more complete player - which Hunter has applauded him for - and his high ranking is justified ... And if he eventually makes the USA squad, all arguments about his not being named in the first 12 are moot points - again, Dale Hunter has suggested he'll utlimately be there.

2. Derek Roy

Dissappointed to see Roy listed near the bottom of the list. He's put up huge points wherever he's played, and he forced Sabres' hand to deal a reliable, established 3rd liner in Curtis Brown. Not bad for a 21 year old who made a seamless transition to the pros, posting a point per game in the AHL - something he's continued to do this year. 19 pts in a 49 game tryout for the Sabres is impressive, considering the defensive role he was playing. With all due respect to Perry, Fehr, Ladd, and Getzlaf - Roy has taken his production to the pro level, and I think that merits a higher ranking.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Leafaholix said:
And where would you place Kesler?

Because the point isn't that Steen should be in the top 20, be it deserving or not, but to have a guy like Ryan Kesler ahead of him is a disgrace to any top prospects list. If Steen was a "risky" prospect, I could see a arguable reason, but not when he's touted as a sure-fire NHL player.

I have no idea what you are talking about anymore. I wasn't talking about Kesler and I have no idea why you are obsessed with Kesler's rankings.

We're talking about Steen and I called your bluff that "there are no 35 prospects who are better than Steen." That was all. Steen is great but there are ~40 prospects who are just as good as him if not better.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Leafaholix said:
Beautiful, because there can be a case made either way.

But the only case being made for Kesler going ahead of all these great young superior talents is that he's a "safe bet"... as if there aren't any other "safe bet" prospects.

Kesler really has nothing else on Steen, but Steen (along with a bunch of other forward prospects on the list, and some off) have more upside than Ryan while being "safe" prospects as well.

Is Fehr deserving to be high than Steen? It's possible, but reasons must be given as to why... I don't see what reasons have been stated for Kesler being ahead of all these great players... aside from the fact that he's already played in the NHL at the age of 19.

I think we all realize Steen is an excellent prospect with a better offensive ceiling than that of Kesler's but you gotta stop making crap up.

Kesler is 3 inches and 20 pounds bigger than Steen.
Kesler is six months younger than Steen.
Kesler is a little more physical than Steen.
They are on par defensively but Kesler has proven it in the NHL.
Kesler led his WJC team to a gold medal.
They are on par in the leadership department but Kesler has a gold medal, a colllege resume and 28 NHL games to show for it.

To say """Kesler really has nothing else on Steen""" is a pretty blatant lie.

mooseOAK*

Fourth line minutes and 5 points in 28 games doesn't prove anything.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
They are on par in the leadership department but Kesler has a gold medal, a colllege resume and 28 NHL games to show for it.

Again, its not like Steen is a midget. Size isnt an issue here. Six months younger? Big wow. He's a 3rd liner, so he certainly probably should be a little more physical. He played a grand total of 28 NHL games, mostly on the 4th line. Doesn't prove anything.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
George Bachul said:
And Evilo, Whitney didn't have a great start to the season, it was actually pretty terrible, although that wasn't taken into account in the rankings.
The whole team struggled at first, but Whitney has played very well lately, and WB is feeling much better as well.
That said, if it's not even taken into account, what could he have done to be ranked higher?
1- Leading his team in scoring as a defenseman? What other offensive Dmen have done it last year?
2- Being a key component to lead his team to the Calder Cup finals as a complete rookie for his first pro games? Who else did it?

Really I think it's the biggest mistake of the list by far (for the first part at least).
Seems to me that with Malkin and Fleury being pretty high, Whitney flew under the radar.
Really what has Eminger (not that I have anything against him) done to warrant being that many spots ahead of Whitney?

Bah, the good thing is that these rankings don't mean anything, and I'm pretty sure Whitney will be a better Dman than the others on this list and that's what matters...

Did Welch get some consideration BTW?

mooseOAK*

RickyF said:
New players that are better ?

Last year's draft was really weak so that doesn't hold water. I think that as players move upwards in quality of hockey leagues their stats suffer so they end up becoming lesser prospects in these rankings.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Stevex said:
As for Deslauriers, there's a mistake or misleading implication in his write-up. He wasnt beaten out by just Fleury for the WJC's but by Leneveu too.

And Harding.

Deslauriers is one of the most overrated prospects on this board. He has an 8.5B rating and is in the top 50 when there are goalies similiar or better than him that probably won't get into the top 50. Niittmyki or whatever his name is, is better than JDD and has even played in some NHL games and looked good playing in the NHL.

:banghead:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
mooseOAK said:
Last year's draft was really weak so that doesn't hold water. I think that as players move upwards in quality of hockey leagues their stats suffer so they end up becoming lesser prospects in these rankings.

Really weak?

Malkin, Ovechkin, Tukonen, Thelen, Meszaros, Montoya, Schwarz, Pineault, Voloshenko, McGrath, Ladd, Picard, Olesz, Radulov, Schremp...

Hmm I don't call that really weak, some good prospects in there.

mooseOAK*

DoobieDoobieDo said:
Really weak?

Malkin, Ovechkin, Tukonen, Thelen, Meszaros, Montoya, Schwarz, Pineault, Voloshenko, McGrath, Ladd, Picard, Olesz, Radulov, Schremp...

Hmm I don't call that really weak, some good prospects in there.

A few, but believe me it was weak.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
I think we all realize Steen is an excellent prospect with a better offensive ceiling than that of Kesler's but you gotta stop making crap up.

Steen has more upside, is a better all around prospect. Kesler had a way better team at the WJC than Steen, He played on the fouth line in the NHL, and Steen has a Sel resume under his built was one of the best players in the play offs last year for Frolunda. You have to admit it, Kesler is a good player but Steen should be ahead of him.
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad