Hockey's Future's Top 50 Prospects: 26-50

Status
Not open for further replies.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Jay Thompson said:
Either that or they made a big mistake leaving him off this year.

That's one way of looking at it. Another way of looking at it is it's a different group with different opinions. Or that perhaps Kesler didn't improve from last year as they expected him to, and others did?

But Kesler has improved his game this year. Leading his team to a WJC, growing an inch and putting on some weight etc. If he were not even in the top 50 this year it baffles me because he is actually better now than last year.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I just wonder how the 2004 draftees could make Whitney fall so far since he not only lead his team in scoring, AS A DEFENSEMAN, but also was fantastic in his first pro games in the AHL playoffs being one of the key components to WB's Calder Cup run.:shakehead
As usual, HF gets too high on the flavour of the week and overrate the younger prospects.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
But Kesler has improved his game this year. Leading his team to a WJC, growing an inch and putting on some weight etc. If he were not even in the top 50 this year it baffles me because he is actually better now than last year.

Well, that's our opinions. The folks on the committee saw it otherwise.

leafaholix*

Jay Thompson said:
Either that or they made a big mistake leaving him off this year.
Either way, it doesn't help anyone's credibility.

That's one way of looking at it. Another way of looking at it is it's a different group with different opinions.
There seems to be a close nit family of writers and editors that do the annual lists, I'm not sure if there was that much of a change to affect a #23 ranked prospect to fall out of the top 50.

Or that perhaps Kesler didn't improve from last year as they expected him to, and others did?
That's rubbish, because we all know Kesler played in the NHL last season, it's not as if he got any worse. My bet is that he's in the top 25... if not, then HF.com's credibility on these lists goes right down the drain.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Comparing to the other Dmen on this list, Whitney would probably be taken by any GM over each of them right now.

leafaholix*

monster_bertuzzi said:
Kesler in the top 25 a total mistake?
No, but to put Kesler ahead of Steen is a mistake.

As is putting Kesler ahead of Getzlaf, Fehr, Eriksson, Olesz, etc...

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Evilo said:
I just wonder how the 2004 draftees could make Whitney fall so far since he not only lead his team in scoring, AS A DEFENSEMAN, but also was fantastic in his first pro games in the AHL playoffs being one of the key components to WB's Calder Cup run.:shakehead
As usual, HF gets too high on the flavour of the week and overrate the younger prospects.

If you look at the list, the number of 2004 entries so far is underwhelming. I think it's 5 out of 25. Andrew Ladd is barely getting recognition and he was 4th overall with everything you can want in a prospect.

It looks like not more than 10 names from the 2004 draft will make the list, possibly a new low IIRC. Last year there were several 2003 making the list because it was a kickass draft. I fail to see how Whitney could be displaced for the flavor of the week unless they have put a great number of them.

I think Barker, Malkin and Ovechkin will make it for sure. Then I don't know who they will put but I can't see more than 2 or 3 other names. It's really not that bad, IMO.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Leafaholix said:
No, but to put Kesler ahead of Steen is a mistake.

As is putting Kesler ahead of Getzlaf, Fehr, Eriksson, Olesz, etc...

Alright, but perhaps another person might think putting Steen ahead of Fehr is a mistake too, such as myself.

We can do this all night.

leafaholix*

Jay Thompson said:
Alright, but perhaps another person might think putting Steen ahead of Fehr is a mistake too, such as myself.

We can do this all night.
Beautiful, because there can be a case made either way.

But the only case being made for Kesler going ahead of all these great young superior talents is that he's a "safe bet"... as if there aren't any other "safe bet" prospects.

Kesler really has nothing else on Steen, but Steen (along with a bunch of other forward prospects on the list, and some off) have more upside than Ryan while being "safe" prospects as well.

Is Fehr deserving to be high than Steen? It's possible, but reasons must be given as to why... I don't see what reasons have been stated for Kesler being ahead of all these great players... aside from the fact that he's already played in the NHL at the age of 19.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I didn't expect Whitney to fall 20 places, thats for sure. Especially seeing as these rankings were based upon what has been his best season to date. With a new draft class, and the fact that Whitney is getting older, I imagined he would fall, but IMO he's still about 10-12 places lower than he should be.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Overall I don't think the list is that bad. There are some points that are a bit off, and it definitely isn't consistent to last year, but... It is definitely not an "outrage" or anything like that.

I'd like to mention that I do feel Whitney's about where he should be, in responding to some of the criticism. Hey, he's on the list. While his potential is extremely high, he's still got a ways to go into being the defenseman that he could be.

Eminger shouldn't be on this list to be quite honest. Maybe at the tail end, like 49-50. If at all. Especially if Ouellet ends up being off the list.

And Eric Fehr. Whoa. I'm sorry. 36 last year, he adds 15 more pounds of muscle, looks solid throughout much of the early year this year, and he drops 7 spots? I can conceed at least 3-4 of those spots going to players from this years draft, ala Ovechkin, Barker, Malkin and one or two others... But 7???

I'd gamble that he's at least closer with Andrew Ladd then being 12 spots back.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Leafaholix said:
I don't see what reasons have been stated for Kesler being ahead of all these great players... aside from the fact that he's already played in the NHL at the age of 19.

I never said Kesler was better than Steen or Fehr.

However, I could argue that he is better than several of these guys on this list in my opinion based on his play in the AHL this season coupled with his NHL audition last year.

However it's a small sample size for any 2003 or 2004 draft pick either way. Better off to look at this at the end or at least 3/4ths of the way through the 2004-05 season and take a look then to get a better outlook on the more recent draft picks.

USC Trojans

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
May 17, 2002
LA Oiler fan
clefty said:
Well, by all means then, case closed. Because one 20 year old guy plays a good 5 games in the AHL, while an 18 year old plays 20 or so lukewarm games in his first year of juniors, it must mean he is a better player and is the better prospect with the better upside! Ladies and gentlemen, the undisputable logic of USC Trojans!

My opinion is that Schwarz will be a better goaltender. Thank you for coming.
No, my argument is that Deslauriers is better now. I never said that JDD's upside is better than Schwarz's. How can you compare an 18 year old playing in juniors with a 20 year old playing professional. That is absurd. We won't know who will be better for at least another five years and who's upside is better is up for debate. I personally wished that the Oilers had taken Schwarz over Dubnyk but with goalies, you can never be sure. JDD is playing at a higher level of hockey right now, which is why he is being ranked higher than Schwarz.

And yes, thank you for acknowledging that my logic is indisputable. I'm here all week.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Jay Thompson said:
Or that perhaps Kesler didn't improve from last year as they expected him to, and others did?

That's a good point that's often overlooked. In the Sabres organization, they view year to year progress as the best indicator of a prospect's potential. Barrett Heisten had a good year (something like 80 points in 60 games) when he went to the WHL, but the Sabres didn't feel it was a significant enough improvement over his previous season in the NCAA to offer him a fat contract. Brad Moran was a 50+ goal scorer when the Sabres drafted him as an overager and continued to score at a high rate, but not enough to satisfy the front office.

It isn't that uncommon for first rounders to reenter the draft because team's feel their stock dropped and they don't want to offer first round money, and it's quite common with 2nd rounders. Some aren't even offered contracts. It's an inexact science where even the professionals make their share of mistakes.

Looking at Kesler, I'd imagine the expectations were quite a bit higher than his production last season, so my guess is that he dropped out of the top 50. He's certainly making a strong case that he belongs this season, but that doesn't count. :D

leafaholix*

Jay Thompson said:
I never said Kesler was better than Steen or Fehr.

However, I could argue that he is better than several of these guys on this list in my opinion based on his play in the AHL this season coupled with his NHL audition last year.
That's basically like putting a cardboard box infront of someone, and hiding two behind their back... and then asking which box is bigger, the one infront of you, one of the two behind you, or both the boxes you can't see?

Of course, you'd be convinced the box you see is bigger than any of the two behind you, because that would be "your opinion".

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
USC Trojans said:
No, my argument is that Deslauriers is better now. I never said that JDD's upside is better than Schwarz's. How can you compare an 18 year old playing in juniors with a 20 year old playing professional. That is absurd.

You just did in your first sentence.

We won't know who will be better for at least another five years and who's upside is better is up for debate. I personally wished that the Oilers had taken Schwarz over Dubnyk but with goalies, you can never be sure.

No you can't be sure. But you can't be sure about any of these. And as far as I'm concerned, Schwarz is the better prospect and as such, deserves the higher ranking.

JDD is playing at a higher level of hockey right now, which is why he is being ranked higher than Schwarz.

The point is moot right off the bat as the rankings are not based on the present.

USC Trojans

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
May 17, 2002
LA Oiler fan
clefty said:
You just did in your first sentence.
No you can't be sure. But you can't be sure about any of these. And as far as I'm concerned, Schwarz is the better prospect and as such, deserves the higher ranking.
The point is moot right off the bat as the rankings are not based on the present.
Nah, you just simply said that Schwarz > Deslauriers. If you had elaborated and said that Schwarz is the better prospect then I might've had a more difficult time arguing. I thought you meant that Schwarz is better than JDD now, which is what I was arguing about.

But JDD is ranked higher than Schwarz here, so ;)

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
hmm, I like Ladd's placement on the list, a bit higher then I was honestly expecting despite going 4th OA this year.

The question I have is Ward. Did he make the list or get the snub? I'm honestly not sure if I can see him being a top 25 prospect even if he is the Canes best prospect.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Nah, you just simply said that Schwarz > Deslauriers. If you had elaborated and said that Schwarz is the better prospect then I might've had a more difficult time arguing. I thought you meant that Schwarz is better than JDD now, which is what I was arguing about.
Fair enough, I'll live with that.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Chaos said:
because quite frankly, I kind of figured it would turn out that way. Just wonder where Kesler and King will end up ;)

If either of those make it to the top25, I'm calling this ranking utter BS.

I'm confident that HF Staff isn't that incompetent though.

leafaholix*

Pepper said:
If either of those make it to the top25, I'm calling this ranking utter BS.

I'm confident that HF Staff isn't that incompetent though.
Well, with some of the remarks in this thread on Kesler's presence on this list, it sounds like the new car smell has worn off. I still think he's on the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->