Hockey's Future Top 50 Prospects: 11-25

Status
Not open for further replies.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Hero of Tragedy said:
I'd suggest stickin to your more "reputable" hockey sources and look the other way with HF articles if you disagree with them. Its apparent that you believe that the writers are illogical and incompetent when it comes to the matter or hockey so what do you care what they how they rank players. They provide this service free for you and you have the nerve to blast their credibility. Get outta here.

Although I'd think Schwarz is better than Montoya and that Alvo is easily the most overrated prospect IMO.

Schwarz and Montoya are both good prospects but i'd take Schwarz.
Phanuef is easily the most overated prospect.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
J17ster said:
Fluery is overated but Phanuef is overated by an incredible amount.

I don't think as much since you don't see people here really hyping him to be the next Orr or whatnot. Fleury is God to some posters. I haven't seen many Flames' fans being dicks about something being said negatively towards Phaneuf. But when you say something about Fleury, well then, there are a million excuses.

Either that or I'm just oblivious.

Prucha73

The most overrated would be Michalek, 2 games in NHL, 2 injuries on the same knee and still in the top 10.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Prucha73 said:
The most overrated would be Michalek, 2 games in NHL, 2 injuries on the same knee and still in the top 10.

Because his potential is that of a better Gaborik, and IMO, hasn't been given a great time to heal properly before being thrown back into games.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Reveille said:
He's a solid goalie (though probably not a franchise goalie).

Thats why I think he's overrated...people think he can be a franchise goalie. I'm on the same page with you...he'll be a helluva goalie (maybe top 10, more likely top 15) its just I see too much tooting of Montoya's horn on these boards (I'm talkin HF overrated not in general) and I personally would place him just outside the top 30. I guess I don't see the upside some people do.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
The Messenger said:
That an easy one Parise of course right now .. but when Carter re-enters the next draft because the flyers have not signed him by June ..then IF my Fav team drafts him of course Carter then is better ...

Oh in regards to Rita .. I hear The Hockey News has implemented the CLOSENESS rule ..so that is why he made it :D ...but here at HF apparently you decided that accuracy and potential are more important than arrival time .. can't say I blame you...
Sniff...that is the nicest thing that you have ever said to us....

:)

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Reveille said:
Because his potential is that of a better Gaborik, and IMO, hasn't been given a great time to heal properly before being thrown back into games.

I don't care if Michalek is in the top 10 or off the whole dang list. I'm just glad the Sharks have him :handclap: :handclap:

Edit: There are two prospects that have missed alot of hockey because of major injuries but will bounce back without missing a beat...Blackburn and Michalek. What would be a travesty is if the Rangers trade Blackburn in favor of Montoya :D

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Reveille said:
I don't think as much since you don't see people here really hyping him to be the next Orr or whatnot. Fleury is God to some posters. I haven't seen many Flames' fans being dicks about something being said negatively towards Phaneuf. But when you say something about Fleury, well then, there are a million excuses.

Either that or I'm just oblivious.

Phanuef cant be hyped to be the next Orr as he won't be. A lot of people seem to think he's the next big thing. Threads have been made comparing him to Malkin and other top propsects. Malkin has franchise potential, Phanuef doesn't. I really don't know how people can rate him other Malkin. I even heard people saying he's nearly as good as Ovechkin.

edited; please do not circumvent profanity filter

Last edited by a moderator:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Hero of Tragedy said:
Thats why I think he's overrated...people think he can be a franchise goalie. I'm on the same page with you...he'll be a helluva goalie (maybe top 10, more likely top 15) its just I see too much tooting of Montoya's horn on these boards (I'm talkin HF overrated not in general) and I personally would place him just outside the top 30. I guess I don't see the upside some people do.

But the other goalies after him are basically in the same boat. Everyone in that area is considered to be a SOLID player but not a franchise player. I think he's placed about right but I'd move him behind Toivonen and ahead of Bryz.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
J17ster said:
Phanuef cant be hyped to be the next Orr as he won't be. A lot of people seem to think he's the next big thing. Threads have been made comparing him to Malkin and other top propsects. Malkin has franchise potential, Phanuef doesn't. I really don't know how people can rate him other Malkin. I even heard people saying he's nearly as good as Ovechkin. That is load of F***ing crap.

Jeeze. I haven't even seen those. I guess with my workload I haven't came around here as often, but it still didn't look that bad. I like the kid, but as good as Ovechkin?

I can see him being rated higher then Malkin or at least along the same level, however.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Reveille said:

Personally, I don't think we've really seen what Gaborik can do...

But you're telling me that Michalek is faster and is a offensively franchised player?

I thought he was a huge two-way player, but not franchise...

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
J17ster said:
Schwarz and Montoya are both good prospects but i'd take Schwarz.
Phanuef is easily the most overated prospect.

I dare you to say that directly to Phanuef face ... :D

You clearly have never seen him play then obviously !!!!!!! ...but that's okay .. You will get plenty of chances when he is representing Canada in Tourney's and Olympics and such ...

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Reveille said:
Jeeze. I haven't even seen those. I guess with my workload I haven't came around here as often, but it still didn't look that bad. I like the kid, but as good as Ovechkin?

I can see him being rated higher then Malkin or at least along the same level, however.

I'm not saying he's a bad player as he is a good solid prospect for the flames. I'd put him just below Zherdev and Horton not higher than Malkin.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
DoobieDoobieDo said:
Personally, I don't think we've really seen what Gaborik can do...

But you're telling me that Michalek is faster and is a offensively franchised player?

I thought he was a huge two-way player, but not franchise...

He's got the potential to be one, IMO.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
J17ster said:
I'm not saying he's a bad player as he is a good solid prospect for the flames. I'd put him just below Zherdev and Horton not higher than Malkin.

yes but you are comparing a Scott Stevens type Dman to offensive forwards .. What are you basing that on ??? More NHL points ??? Importance to team ???

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Reveille said:
But the other goalies after him are basically in the same boat. Everyone in that area is considered to be a SOLID player but not a franchise player. I think he's placed about right but I'd move him behind Toivonen and ahead of Bryz.

I'm goin to agree with you again with regards to Emery, JDD, and Nittymaki. All solid guys with good no. 1 potential. I guess the only difference I see in Schwarz is the flair to be a bit better than that. Not sure if he's likely to reach it but its possible he can while I think Montoya and co. don't have ceiling.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
The Messenger said:
yes but you are comparing a Scott Stevens type Dman to offensive forwards .. What are you basing that on ??? More NHL points ??? Importance to team ???

Im basing it on their potential and their importance to the team.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Reveille said:
He's got the potential to be one, IMO.

Its been my feeling long before the Sharks drafted him that if I had the number 1 pick that year, I'd use it on Michalek. I think he has the perfect blend of skills, smarts, and body to be a force.

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
Mothra said:
You need to explain yourself on this......

Yeah, my bad, sorry...I didn't read fully that this was the new top 50...Everything makes sense now...so yes, Horton, Malkin and Ovechkin should be in the top ten, I agree 100%.

turnbuckle*

Stich - I'm not getting your redundant argument. First of all, scouts that I talked to before the 2004 draft liked Montoya more than Schwarz. I only spoke to four, but there was a consensus among them that Montoya was the better prospect. This belief was confirmed when 10 teams passed on Schwarz AFTER NY grabbed Montoya. Talk about pre-draft lists all you want; the proof was in the pudding.

As was stated (but seemingly ignored) by an insightful poster earlier in this thread, there are more than 1000 prospects from several drafts and free agency that are considered for the top 50 list.

Let's say the average NHL scout had Montoya 7th on their lists and Schwarz 14th. You should also consider the prospects from previous drafts (including top ten picks) that have yet to crack the NHL. There is going to be more than a 7-player spread between the two players when every prospect is considered.

HF rankings are pretty well bang on - he should be about 20 spots lower than Montoya, and his play thus far in the WHL has done nothing to refute that ranking. If anything; Scwharz looks like the goalie that was overhyped, despite waht i've read from several here saying the same thing about Montoya.

Until I see some clutch goaltending from Schwarz I refuse to see what all the fuss is about. Jamie Storr was a great reflex goalie as well, but if you can't handle the pressure, you're not going to be a great NHLer no matter how quick your glove hand is. I know I wasn't overly impressed with Schwarz's play at the last WJC when he flubbed a long shot that essentially demoralized his team. It wouldn't be the first time the Blues made an error in judging a goalie's talent either - not exactly a long list of drafted/developed goalies on the ol' resume.

As for those wondering why their borderline top 50 prospects didn't make it; consider this - At least ten teams had one or less prospects on that list. Many team's second best prospect didn't make it.

Take an honest look at the players ranked ahead of your "slighted" prospects, and ask yourself why they might be considered to be better. I think that the anger will perhaps subside after looking at the list keeping in mind that every team has good prospects. There are 30 teams to choose from, lest we forget.

And oh yeah; Leafaholix - always amusing to see you comment on how some homers overhype their own prospects, yet you declare two of your own (Coco and Steen) to be the least appreciated (along with the top prospect in the world). Alwaysa good for a laugh. P.S. If Coco becomes a better NHLer than Higgins (the "disgrace" of the top 50); I'll eat a Leafs cap.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i personally dont' really see why people think schwarz is so much better than montoya or other goalie prospects out there...i think it just comes down to personal preference (and there's nothing really wrong with that)

as for blackburn and the possibility of trading him because of montoya...well, it's more likely the rangers trade him because of the sticky situation he's ended up in than strictly because of montoya. blackburn only has this year left of waiver exemption (assuming he plays the second half of the year after he's finally back from his injury). sooo, he only gets half a year in the AHL to shake off the rust and prepare himself for being a NHL goalie once again. then he has to be protected, can't be sent down...it's sink or swim. but the rangers will give him a shot i'm sure, hopefully he can make the best of it.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Hero of Tragedy said:
I'm goin to agree with you again with regards to Emery, JDD, and Nittymaki. All solid guys with good no. 1 potential. I guess the only difference I see in Schwarz is the flair to be a bit better than that. Not sure if he's likely to reach it but its possible he can while I think Montoya and co. don't have ceiling.

But those goalies, IMO, are much more likely to REACH that potential. Schwarz might never make it higher then the ECHL, where as I think the above mentioned goalies are pretty safe bets to at least be a backup.

I mean, it's not like Schwarz is doing anything besides being mediocre in the Dub right now.

Prucha73

Reveille said:

Gaborik??? How exactly are they even similar that you would make this comparison? I think Cherneski comparison would be more likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad