Hockey's Future Top 50 Prospects: 11-25

Status
Not open for further replies.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
I thought Semin was arguably a top 10 guy. He's dominating RSL, and had a very good showing when awarded top-6 icetime last winter. He could have gone before Vanek, Suter, Michalek, and Horton, but the margin is very relative, and considering the generous rankings for Ouellet and Eminger, I think the Caps got a more than fair showing. Outside of Fehr's ranking of course. ;)

My .02.

leafaholix*

John Flyers Fan said:
Parise is not faster than Carter.
That's arguable, but Parise is a lot shiftier. He has great speed and all that, but so does Robbie Earl... so it really doesn't make him a better player.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
JasonMacIsaac said:
Whats not to get, we went over this many times. Parise hobey finalist, Parise MVP and top forward at the WJC, lead the tourney in points while capturing the gold for the underdog USA, Parise is playing pro hockey in the AHL and is currently 2nd in rookie scoring. What has Carter done to prove he is a better prospect then Parise?
Sure, Parise has done more than Carter in a junior tournament and in a league with far less competition than the one Carter plays in, but I fail to see what that has to do with pro potential. Numerous guys have dominated WJCs and junior leagues, but done nothing in the NHL. Not saying that's the case for Parise at all, just that you can't make a solid case solely by using accomplishments, many which were team accomplishments, at such a young age. If Fleury doesn't have a third period meltdown, Parise wouldn't be considered the best forward and doesn't get the gold or MVP.

Carter scored four goals and earned one assist in 12 playoff games with the Phantoms last year, so Parise hasn't done significantly better than Carter in the AHL. Before you mention the point difference, Carter's AHL play commenced at the start of the playoffs, so he faced better competition and received very limited ice time. If he was playing in the AHL this year, I have no doubt he'd be right up there with Parise.

Parise may be the better player now and might have more accomplishments, but Carter's much bigger, faster, and has a skill set every bit as good as Parise's. Those are reasons why I'd take Carter over Parise. Basing an argument completely on a single WJC and a Hobey nomination is laughable. Like I said before, what if Canada wins the WJC? There goes Parise's list of achievements. I like Parise, but you bring up the WJC as the defining factor in every Parise v. Carter discussion.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
EroCaps said:
I thought Semin was arguably a top 10 guy. He's dominating RSL, and had a very good showing when awarded top-6 icetime last winter. He could have gone before Vanek, Suter, Michalek, and Horton, but the margin is very relative, and considering the generous rankings for Ouellet and Eminger, I think the Caps got a more than fair showing. Outside of Fehr's ranking of course. ;)

My .02.

I too think he could be in the top 10......but when we think about it there isnt much difference from top 10 and where he was spotted (13)

also...his play in the RSL this season is not factored in if I understand this list correctly......had it been then top 10 may have been the result

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Mothra said:
I too think he could be in the top 10......but when we think about it there isnt much difference from top 10 and where he was spotted (13)

also...his play in the RSL this season is not factored in if I understand this list correctly......had it been then top 10 may have been the result

I hadn't any faith in the kid's size before watching him play last year, but it wasn't an issue. He took some awful-looking hits, but he's a chippy player and he's the most elusive skater I've seem in Washington since Bondra.

He was also phenomenal for Portland, carrying them into the playoffs almost singlehandedly. But 10-13, fan list, splitting hairs.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
The difference between Parise and Carter? Who is better Sakic or Modano? Michal Barinka or Ivan Baranka? ;)

Get real guys. :D

(P.S. The Hockey News Top 50 as of February this year had Parise at 4th and Carter 7th as voted on by 15 NHL executives. That didn't play a part on our list....good thing, we would have a tough time justifying here why Jessiman was on the list. Same with Jani Rita.:D )

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
rivercanyon said:
What really amuses me is how Aaron Vickers here explains that the list is based on potential... Hence if your drafted early the last two-three years, you have really great chances of making the list. But if your already a World Class star like Henrik Lundqivst, your not good enough to be a top 50 prospect. The only reason why Lundqvist didn´t make the list was because he has NOT BEEN HYPED like the others. If there existed some kind of knowledge on hockeysfuture among the writers, than its impossible for a player of that calibre to be left out.

And if it was based on potenial, im pretty confident that Johan Fransson should have made the list too. A lot of these players haven´t even proved themselves among men, but still they are top 50 prospects. What kind of serious people, makes a list based on how early they picked in the drafts. I´d also like to see the representation of who makes the list. How many northamericans and how many europeans?

You should change the name to "The most 50 hyped prospects".

Amen! :handclap:

Its not like Lundqvist wasn´t impressive at a young age either. He posted a solid .948 saving pct and had 1.45 GAA in the SEL at the age of 20. Its pretty much a toss up between Lundqvist and Marc-Andre Fleury who was better at the age of 20. Lundqvist has since then improved even more. He is basically as good as M-A Fleury´s hopes to be in two years. Still Fleury is in the top 10... :)

Barnaby said:
I do think they do a very good job considering. I mean you can't expect them to fly out to somewhere deep in Russia to see Zetterberger but still. There are a few dissagrements such as no Lundvquist or Stuart, but I really dont see any big problems. I feel like they give us a solid list. Just look at NHL teams draft list - all 30 will be different so you cant expect everyone to be happy here. Some people nitpick (so and so should be 4 spots higher..etc) but all in all its in the right neighborhood

Its tough to travel all the way into the very "deepest" of russia. Or they could just turn on TSN and watch a WC every other year or so... :) Look I appriciate HF allot and think they are a great "institute". But on this subject, the top prospect ranking I belive they should stop putting together a joint draft list from 2-3 years and rank the players out there instead. Look at the calder trophy winners and finalists the last years. HF if lucky if they managed to get 30% of them in some kind of prospect rankings. My advise to HF is to go out and watch some hockey. Look at the NHL, what kind of players has success? Take a player like Vanek, I doubt the he ever will accomplish much in the NHL. If he does it will be as a perimeter player. After seeing him float in the WC and how he is producing in the AHL who seriously belives that he will be anywhere in the neighboorhood(sp?) of a franchise player for the sabres? Why rank him in the top 10 when there is so many great players out there? Its also a fact that most players who are successful in the NHL right now has developt the most from the age of 18, not before the age of 18. Hence the reason why you can´t just put together a joint draft list from 2-3 years and expect it to be a "Top Prospect Ranking".

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Lehtonen32 said:
No Kesler eh? A whole lot of arguing over nothing. :D
Not really I was quite dissapointed that he did not make the list. Heh...maybe he's top 10 ;)

Some name I strongly don't agree with in the list, but I like the 10-25 list a lot more than 26-50.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Leafaholix said:
That's arguable, but Parise is a lot shiftier. He has great speed and all that, but so does Robbie Earl... so it really doesn't make him a better player.
I believe Carter won one of the OHL speed competitons a year or two ago. When talking about Carter, his speed is one of the first things scouts mention. Parise may look as fast, but I think that's a result of being small and always having his legs moving.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Its pretty much a toss up between Lundqvist and Marc-Andre Fleury who was better at the age of 20. Lundqvist has since then improved even more. He is basically as good as M-A Fleury´s hopes to be in two years. Still Fleury is in the top 10...

you're gonna catch some heat for that one :)

i can't compare the two and say who has more potential...fleury obviously has a ton or he wouldn't have been drafted so high, but it's not out of the question that someone else could have as much or even more potential and skill than him.

but lundqvist has had an excellent career and he's only 22...he's just done great in every situation he's been in, very talented...deserves some credit. we'll see where fleury ends up by the age of 22

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Unless Cam Ward was in the Top 10, a serious oversight has been made in his regard. This very site has him listed ahead of Andrew Ladd in the individual rankings and yet Cam Ward doesn't make the list and Ladd does. I find that a little hard to swallow.

Not to mention the fact that Cam Ward was slated to play 1a and 1b with Martin Gerber in Carolina this year. No matter what anybody says, it's quite the accomplishment to make any team in the NHL and expect to contribute as a 20-year-old goaltender. All Ward did last year was win his second straight WHL goaltender of the year award and be a finalist for the CHL player of the year. Meh. Rankings are just rankings anyways.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
John Flyers Fan said:
The OHL is better than the NCAA.

I don't see how you can say that. I view an NCAA team as having a much better chance at beating some OHL team then vice versa. The players are older, bigger, stronger, etc etc.

I can't see how you can say that.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Stich said:
1. Balej vs Sejna
2. Montoya vs Schwarz

Jeeze. That sure sounds like such a big deal I've been making. Two whole arguments.
:shakehead

BTW... Sejna is at 12 points in 10 games. Balej is at 14 points in 13 games. What was that again about Sejna not being able to touch Balej's production? :lol

And also Stemp vs Jessiman.

You have some agenda trying to prove that every damn Blues prospect is as good as some teams top prospect. Get off your horse. You just like causing drama and it's all you're good at. Then you make stupid bolded statements and such to try and drive your point home WHENEVER there is someone disagreeing with it.

And BTW the whole of Hartford is struggling and Balej is basically carrying the team offensively. And my opinion was that he wasn't able to touch Balej last year or in the NHL (ever!) in scoring. Not this year. I said if he can't touch him this year in scoring than I really have no hope for him.

So goodbye.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Ginner's in T.O. said:
Not really I was quite dissapointed that he did not make the list. Heh...maybe he's top 10 ;)

Some name I strongly don't agree with in the list, but I like the 10-25 list a lot more than 26-50.

Well, some may find it easier to break down the top guys than the 25-50 area where there have probably been 75 different names mentioned by HF posters.

The lower you get, the easier it become sto find a list that is more accepted by the majority.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Stich said:
Someone else's opinnion isn't bases for an argument? So that means that when someone else tells me that Montoya is better because he was drafted higher I can say that they can't use that as a basis for their argument?

The opinions of sources much more reputable than HF is all I need to show that the difference between the Montoya and Schwarz is a joke. Even the rankings that had Montoya above Schwarz had them VERY close.

Check this link..

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Caniacforever said:
Unless Cam Ward was in the Top 10, a serious oversight has been made in his regard. This very site has him listed ahead of Andrew Ladd in the individual rankings and yet Cam Ward doesn't make the list and Ladd does. I find that a little hard to swallow.

Not to mention the fact that Cam Ward was slated to play 1a and 1b with Martin Gerber in Carolina this year. No matter what anybody says, it's quite the accomplishment to make any team in the NHL and expect to contribute as a 20-year-old goaltender. All Ward did last year was win his second straight WHL goaltender of the year award and be a finalist for the CHL player of the year. Meh. Rankings are just rankings anyways.

Canes get no love. Cam Ward on a playoff calibre team would have easily made the list.

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
Leafaholix said:
Can't see Mark Stuart in the top 10.

Ovechkin
Malkin
Fleury
Phaneuf
Suter
Horton
Lehtonen
Zherdev
Vanek
Michalek

Which would leave him out of the top 50.

Okay, I don't think Ovechkin, Malkin and Horton qualify for the top 10 according to the prospect rules that hf uses

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Stich said:
If you're going to give me a logout link you might want to be smart enough to not give me YOUR logout link. :lol

Oh well. It was worth a shot.

It's a shame that I don't spend enough time researching the ins and outs of Hockeys Future's message boards to find that out. I'm sorry that I have too much time on my hands being a student at one of the top Pharmacy universities in America to have time to research that.

Again, I appologize.

Sincerely.

:dunce: :dunce: :dunce:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
George Bachul said:
The difference between Parise and Carter? Who is better Sakic or Modano? Michal Barinka or Ivan Baranka? ;)

Get real guys. :D

(P.S. The Hockey News Top 50 as of February this year had Parise at 4th and Carter 7th as voted on by 15 NHL executives. That didn't play a part on our list....good thing, we would have a tough time justifying here why Jessiman was on the list. Same with Jani Rita.:D )

That an easy one Parise of course right now .. but when Carter re-enters the next draft because the flyers have not signed him by June ..then IF my Fav team drafts him of course Carter then is better ...

Oh in regards to Rita .. I hear The Hockey News has implemented the CLOSENESS rule ..so that is why he made it :D ...but here at HF apparently you decided that accuracy and potential are more important than arrival time .. can't say I blame you...

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Stich said:
Does insulting me make you feel better about being involved with this joke of a list? MUCH more reputable souces than Hockey's Future had Schwarz higher than Montoya going into the draft, and that was after Montoya's great WJC.

Oh, and 'NHL teams' didnt' see differently. ONE NHL team thought Montoya was better than Schwarz. Just like ONE NHL team thought that Dubnyk was better than Schwarz.

Like I said after the organization rankings came out... I'll enjoy the next few years. Let's see who's 'disallusionment' we're talking about then.

I'd suggest stickin to your more "reputable" hockey sources and look the other way with HF articles if you disagree with them. Its apparent that you believe that the writers are illogical and incompetent when it comes to the matter or hockey so what do you care what they how they rank players. They provide this service free for you and you have the nerve to blast their credibility. Get outta here.

Although I'd think Schwarz is better than Montoya and that Alvo is easily the most overrated prospect IMO.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Hero of Tragedy said:
I'd suggest stickin to your more "reputable" hockey sources and look the other way with HF articles if you disagree with them. Its apparent that you believe that the writers are illogical and incompetent when it comes to the matter or hockey so what do you care what they how they rank players. They provide this service free for you and you have the nerve to blast their credibility. Get outta here.

Although I'd think Schwarz is better than Montoya and that Alvo is easily the most overrated prospect IMO.

How is he the most overrated prospect? He's been putting up solid numbers in tough situations and he lead his team to the gold medal. He's a solid goalie (though probably not a franchise goalie).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad