GDT: Hockey's Back! Devils @ Rangers, 7 PM, MSG & NHL Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
+Boucher: always moving and has a nose for the net. Creates chances when he's on the ice. He might not be a perfect skater but I don't think it matters much.

+Kaberle: wasn't amazing, but he definitely showed his vision, calmness and passing prowess. Anyone notice that crazy lob pass he made in the first period, across the ice and from blue to blue line? I'd like him to make the team over Harrold.

+Henrique: all over the ice. Looking forward to a big season from Rico.

+Josefson: I liked his speed tonight. He created a couple chances with it, and while he lacked finish, some of them will eventually go in. Our team could use his wheels.

+Havlat: probably my favorite player tonight. The line didn't mesh well, but Havlat flashed the individual skill that makes him great. Remember in the first when he made this dipsy-doodle past a defender at the blue line and calmly dished the puck off to Larsson for a chance? Or in the third when he cut inside around the right faceoff dot and got a good shot off on Talbot? We haven't had someone like this in a while.

-Kelly: Not sure what you were doing on the Rangers second goal. Stay in front of the net on the PK.

-Tootoo: Only hurt the team with his presence. Hope he's cut soon.

-Matteau: Expected a bit more from him. He has the frame and wheels to be noticeable out there and he really wasn't.

-Sestito: Probably the worst player on the ice, aside from Janssen. The trouble is Pete thinks Sestito can actually play. One of the Rangers goals was a direct result of Sestito mindlessly turning the puck over in the neutral zone.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
I liked Tootoo and Boucher. Gelly-Lars was a great pairing. Henrique and Josefson looked great. Severson looked fantastic but probably needs a year in Albany to become perfect.

Komisarek was blah. Fedotenko was blah. Clemmer was very very blah. Kaberle was sorta blah.

Can't wait to see the full lineup.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Ended up falling asleep after the first, this time difference is annoying but for a season game it'll be worth staying up for. Watched the highlights though, loving what I saw from Boucher, and his chemistry with Ryder and Henrique. Whether that sticks or not, which it most likely won't, Bouch looks much more refined this year and I'd personally love to have him make the team.

How did Severson play for the rest of the game? He'd be much better served to play a year in the A, but how well did he handle himself exactly? And also Kinkaid. He could have had the 1st goal it looked like but the 2nd one was hilarious, a fully wound up slap shot so close to the goalie :laugh: not much he could do but hoped it hit him or the shot missed.

Another question, how was Gelinas in our own zone? Obviously his offense didn't take a hit, but did he looked to have improved at actually defending?

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
+Boucher: always moving and has a nose for the net. Creates chances when he's on the ice. He might not be a perfect skater but I don't think it matters much.

+Kaberle: wasn't amazing, but he definitely showed his vision, calmness and passing prowess. Anyone notice that crazy lob pass he made in the first period, across the ice and from blue to blue line? I'd like him to make the team over Harrold.

+Josefson: I liked his speed tonight. He created a couple chances with it, and while he lacked finish, some of them will eventually go in. Our team could use his wheels.

+Havlat: probably my favorite player tonight. The line didn't mesh well, but Havlat flashed the individual skill that makes him great. Remember in the first when he made this dipsy-doodle past a defender at the blue line and calmly dished the puck off to Larsson for a chance? Or in the third when he cut inside around the right faceoff dot and got a good shot off on Talbot? We haven't had someone like this in a while.

-Kelly: Not sure what you were doing on the Rangers second goal. Stay in front of the net on the PK.

-Matteau: Expected a bit more from him. He has the frame and wheels to be noticeable out there and he really wasn't.

-Sestito: Probably the worst player on the ice, aside from Janssen. The trouble is Pete thinks Sestito can actually play. One of the Rangers goals was a direct result of Sestito mindlessly turning the puck over in the neutral zone.

Worst player by far was Komisarek.
Kelly a close 2nd.
Sestito was simply invisable.

Tootoo was decent aside from the penalty.

Devilsfanatic0421

"You're next"
Feb 24, 2012

Good luck with that.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Another question, how was Gelinas in our own zone? Obviously his offense didn't take a hit, but did he looked to have improved at actually defending?

I thought he looked good, at least compared to the performances of Kelly and Komisarek. He had a couple nice defensive plays that I'm not sure he'd have made at the end of last season.

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
I thought Kaberle looked really good. Extremely poised with the puck. So calm. He controlled the play a lot when he was on the ice. He was better defensively than I thought he would be.

If he continues to play like he did last night he should be on the team.

What a difference 5 pounds makes, I guess. I thought Boucher was one of the quicker players on the ice last night. Looked much faster and like he had more jump than last year. Looked hungry. You can tell he doesn't want to be sent back.

Komisarek won't get a job in any league if the best he has to offer is what he showed last night. Thought he was our worst player.

Gelinas...what can you say? As long as he proves to not be a liability (like he was way too much of the time last year) this could be a huge year for him. That shot...my lord. He looks a little bigger too.

Larsson played well until that Rangers 3rd goal. Which is troubling, because those same sort of mistakes should be eliminated from his game by now. Make a mistake near your own blue line, get caught flatfooted, get beat wide by the winger. Still, overall I thought he was good, and Kreider has tremendous speed, so I'm slightly more willing to forgive him there.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Had a great time at the game! Unfortunately had the unpleasant front row view of those two goals where our defenders left our goalies out to dry. My buddy had a great line on the Fast goal saying he could've read the first chapter of Harry Potter and gotten the shot off.

Came away EXTREMELY happy with the Boucher-Henrique-Ryder line. How could you not? They looked fantastic. Boucher showed some serious skill with a couple nice passes and plays and I think he's going to end up on the final roster sooner than later.

I'm interested to see Patty and Havlat develop more chemistry, but as much as it pains me to say it, Zubrus needs to be bumped down. I think he slowed that line down a bit. Ideally, he's a 4th line/PK guy at this stage.

No other forward stood out to me. Tootoo has some speed and I wouldn't mind him as a 4th liner, but we have enough of them as it is. Was disappointed in Josefson's game tonight.

Defensively, Severson and Gelinas definitely had the best games. Severson definitely has some seasoning that needs to be done, but he looked like he belonged out there which is impressive at such a young age. Gelinas looked better in his own zone at times and I can't get enough of that shot on the PP. It's so lethal.

Kaberle was nothing special but showed his poise. Larsson definitely lost his confidence in the 3rd, but I'm not going to blast him for it in the first game of the season. We'll see if it continues to carry over. Kelly didn't play too badly at times, but his mistakes were costly. You can see why he is a career AHLer. Komisarek, no words.

Goaltending wise, I thought Kinkaid looked stronger in net. I wouldn't fault either goal on him. Clemmer did OK, the first goal was terrible but he had no chance on the 2nd.

I thought as a whole offensively, the team looked a LOT better than at any point last year. They seem hungrier to drive to the net and cash in on those second chances or creating chances up close. The first three were outstanding redirects.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I thought he looked good, at least compared to the performances of Kelly and Komisarek. He had a couple nice defensive plays that I'm not sure he'd have made at the end of last season.

I absolutely agree. He looked much more sound in his own zone. There were things to be encouraged about last night.

That kid is such a tantalizing combination of size and skill you just pray he can put it all together.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
Fedotenko looked rough. Guy was skating in quicksand.

Somebody that had a great showing and I wasn't expecting it, Michael Ryder. He scored two goals, but also was noticeable defensively at times. If he has more games last season like he played last night, we may have made the playoffs. 25-30 goals a very reasonable mark for him this year.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I'm sorry to all the Josefson fans, because the Kid has hands of stone. I find it strange especially, for a Swedish player and I always rooted for the kid being our first round pick and all. If he stays a Devil he'll be a 4th liner at best. The kid just has no real touch with the puck, which is a shame for him and the organization.

Last edited:

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I think Ryder took last season to heart and is determined to get back to where he was as a goal scorer. I'm anxious to see him turn it around this season.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
All good points. I definitely agree that they definitely seemed to be making more of an effort to get in front of the net and it showed.

Honestly I would say only Komi and Clemmer had bad games. JJ and Zubs had an ok game.

The problem in JJ's case is he can't be having ok games here. He did not look or play like a kid who is in a camp battle. Boucher did, Severson did. JJ did not and that is a problem.

pretty easy to tell severson is or extremely close to nhl ready, that's a good one. boucher looked very good, jj I agree I was watching him closely didn't do anything to help or hurt himself but if it was a one game playoff as to who makes the team boucher vs. jofeson im going with boucher even though they are different types of players.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
few thoughts, mostly echoing the general consensus....

- the boucher-henrique-ryder line was great, all three were the best players on the ice hands down
- larsson looked strong and poised, just that one unlucky mishap on kreider's goal
- kaberle was very impressive, showed great vision and passing especially
- komisarek was brutal, slow and out of position
- both tenders fought it a bit, but KK was the better of the two
- gelinas seemed so in control and holy rocket!
- elias/havlat seemed to build chemistry as the game went on, but zubrus seemed out of place with them
- not a great start to the preseason for josefson i didnt think
- severson didnt look out of place, but give him some AHL seasoning
- all in all, lot of good things out there but the two breakdowns at the end were inexcusable

Last edited:

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I thought he looked good,at least compared to the performances of Kelly and Komisarek. He had a couple nice defensive plays that I'm not sure he'd have made at the end of last season.

Well, not like that was hard to do last night. Good to hear he's shown early signs of improvement. His offense is such a deadly force, if he can just stick to being at least average in the defensive zone he'll be great for us.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
Eh, I felt like he was mostly a passenger last night. Henrique and Boucher did all of the digging.

that's kind of ryder's game.... good once he gets puck on his stick, so he needs guys that forecheck well. that line certainly warrants another game together

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
few thoughts, mostly echoing the general consensus....

- the boucher-henrique-ryder line was great, all three were the best players on the ice hands down
- larsson looked strong and poised, just that one unlucky mishap on kreider's goal
- kaberle was very impressive, showed great vision and passing especially
- komisarek was brutal, slow and out of position
- both tenders fought it a bit, but KK was the better of the two
- gelinas seemed so in control and holy rocket!
- elias/havlat seemed to build chemistry as the game went on, but zubrus seemed out of place with them
- all in all, lot of good things out there but the two breakdowns at the end were inexcusable

I would like to see clowe fill in for zubrus or even ruttuu w havlat and elias, the only thing I kind of don't agree with is your kaberle praise, he looked fine but im not going so far as very impressive, but I admit I was more focusing on severson when those two were on ice

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
I'm sorry to all the Josefson fans, because the Kid has hands of stone. I find it strange especially, for a Swedish player and I always rooted for the kid being our first round pick and all. If he stays a Devil he'll be a 4th liner at best. The kid just has no real touch with the puck, which is a shame for him and the organization.

well he has a two year deal so its now or never with him.. he can play in the NHL that is for sure but it's beginning to appear that he will be a fringe player that can kill penalties and plays solid defense.....kind of what you just said in a nutshell 3/4 line player

im still holding out hope that he can get his offense going, I still don't feel like he has been given the right chance with this team yet and has been unlucky with injury etc.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
Had a great time at the game! Unfortunately had the unpleasant front row view of those two goals where our defenders left our goalies out to dry. My buddy had a great line on the Fast goal saying he could've read the first chapter of Harry Potter and gotten the shot off.

Came away EXTREMELY happy with the Boucher-Henrique-Ryder line. How could you not? They looked fantastic. Boucher showed some serious skill with a couple nice passes and plays and I think he's going to end up on the final roster sooner than later.

I'm interested to see Patty and Havlat develop more chemistry, but as much as it pains me to say it, Zubrus needs to be bumped down. I think he slowed that line down a bit. Ideally, he's a 4th line/PK guy at this stage.

No other forward stood out to me. Tootoo has some speed and I wouldn't mind him as a 4th liner, but we have enough of them as it is. Was disappointed in Josefson's game tonight.

Defensively, Severson and Gelinas definitely had the best games. Severson definitely has some seasoning that needs to be done, but he looked like he belonged out there which is impressive at such a young age. Gelinas looked better in his own zone at times and I can't get enough of that shot on the PP. It's so lethal.

Kaberle was nothing special but showed his poise. Larsson definitely lost his confidence in the 3rd, but I'm not going to blast him for it in the first game of the season. We'll see if it continues to carry over. Kelly didn't play too badly at times, but his mistakes were costly. You can see why he is a career AHLer. Komisarek, no words.

Goaltending wise, I thought Kinkaid looked stronger in net. I wouldn't fault either goal on him. Clemmer did OK, the first goal was terrible but he had no chance on the 2nd.

I thought as a whole offensively, the team looked a LOT better than at any point last year. They seem hungrier to drive to the net and cash in on those second chances or creating chances up close. The first three were outstanding redirects.

pretty good assessment . I think what bothers people about josefson's game isn't that he played bad, but that he doesn't seem to show any potential of offense or hunger. I think his game is a steady game and is not a type of game that wows you especially in pre season, so I don't want to be unfair to him. but for a team that desperately needs goals, if a guy like boucher proves he can score, he will bump josefson from lineup or someone like brunner

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
I think boucher should make this team and not just for last nights game, he is a puck magnet and a scorer and that is just a natural instinct that some players have and some don't.

one of you posted it earlier that his skating isn't perfect but it doesn't matter. couldn't agree more, he can play hockey is the bottom line.

kevinchoi

Sep 22, 2014
Newark

I agree with most of this. kaberle had some positive plays but i think its going to be tough for him to crack the roster. gonna have to disagree with you on JJ. I dont think he had a good game. Needs to play better if he wants to stick with the team. Mike komisarek was by far the worst player on the ice. He should be cut right away. Was happy with matteau's game made some hits was a physical presence when he was out there. Kelly had a good 1st and 2nd period but made rookie mistakes in the third. sesitito needs work. and i thought havlat and henrique were awesome! with everything being said. its one game. i think the rookies matteau, boucher, kelly and severson all showed they are rookies but they are younger and are gonna make mistakes no one expects them to make the team out of camp its only one game whereas komiserek is a vet with 500+ games mid 30's and should not make the errors he made

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
pretty good assessment . I think what bothers people about josefson's game isn't that he played bad, but that he doesn't seem to show any potential of offense or hunger. I think his game is a steady game and is not a type of game that wows you especially in pre season, so I don't want to be unfair to him. but for a team that desperately needs goals, if a guy like boucher proves he can score, he will bump josefson from lineup or someone like brunner

He had another game that, to me, continues to support why he's not an NHL regular. If it was his first year at camp, I'd be saying this kid has potential. But this is 3-4 years now where he works hard, looks good for the most part, but needs a miracle to be involved in a goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad