GDT: Hockey's Back! Devils @ Rangers, 7 PM, MSG & NHL Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
That was really fun, sloppy as hell, but fun.
I think I laughed my way through 2/3 of that game. I lost it on Henrique's final goal.

Just some gut reactions I had after 1 pre season game :

Boucher and Severson look hungry. I like it. Maybe a bit overeager.
Boucher is further along than Severson, obviously. I'd still like to see him in Albany a little longer. I want him as confident as ever when he's taking shots on goalies like Lundqvist.
He looks good, though. He just seemed to pull back or over think it on his opportunities. But, on the plus side, he created opportunities for himself.

I'd honestly throw away any special teams play from this evening (and there was a lot of it) -- it was noted that they wouldn't have a lot of time to work on it prior to this game. The power play was a total jumble, no surprise there.
It was a nice surprise to see how aggressive the PK still looks, though.

I'm not swayed by any of the tryouts so far.

Elias with Havlat and Zubrus looked more disconnected than I thought it would. It looked a lot cleaner towards the end, but it seemed like there was come confusion as to where to put pucks. Especially if they got a cycle going.
For Havlat's sake, it might help his adjustment to the system with Clowe up there instead of Zubrus. At least a player he knows how to read a little bit.

I'm going to go in a different direction than what I've seen over the past page or so regarding Larsson. Him and Gelinas played 22+ minutes tonight, with a hefty share of special teams. It could have been a lot to ask to have them play 1st pairing right away.. but I think they settled in well enough. That's well over the heads of where they'll likely be playing come NHL season (even if this was a preseason lineup)

Henrique :heart::heart::heart:

The Rangers were a dumpster fire in the neutral zone, but even so, I liked how the Devils were attacking. Coming up ice quickly, having at least one player head directly to the net, opening up shooting lanes. The deflections galore. That's what has been said they were working on and I liked how it translated after 3 days of practice.

I'm going to wait a bit further into preseason to form an sort of opinion, gut reaction or not, on either Josefson or Zubrus.

All of this with a grain of salt, but yeah, that was a fun first day of Devils hockey.

All good points. I definitely agree that they definitely seemed to be making more of an effort to get in front of the net and it showed.

Honestly I would say only Komi and Clemmer had bad games. JJ and Zubs had an ok game.

The problem in JJ's case is he can't be having ok games here. He did not look or play like a kid who is in a camp battle. Boucher did, Severson did. JJ did not and that is a problem.

Deleted member 28548

For Havlat's sake, it might help his adjustment to the system with Clowe up there instead of Zubrus. At least a player he knows how to read a little.
Couldn't agree more with you on this point.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
This is one of my biggest take aways and isn't being talked about much. It really seems like there have been adjustments made to how the team breaks out and plays offense and it seemed to be very effective.

This was the first thing I noticed and something I enjoyed most about tonight's game. But I've been yammering on about that for what.. 3 months now? :laugh:

I'm not sold yet, because, again, the neutral zone was a certified disaster tonight --- as expected.

The aggressiveness that they went to the net with sometimes left an open lane for the defense to exit and get on their way - but one thing I might obsessively pour over is how they shut down the trailing d/wingers to cut off passing and negate a few odd man rushes.

A few scary rushes squeaked by... but it was a new look and something else to pay attention to.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Guys who've done 'less' in the NHL than Josefson/Larsson have been scooped up on waivers because other teams think they can salvage someone else's high pick. Remember that guy Carolina cut a couple years ago? Mid first-rounder and everyone was going ga-ga over us claiming him. A couple other teams did but he was so bad he eventually wound up back in Carolina. His name escapes me, that's how insignificant he was :laugh:

Looked it up, it was Zach Boychuk lol...and he was a #14 overall pick a few years prior.

Zach Boychuk was a winger who had a scoring touch in the WHL and AHL. Last season he put up 36g 38a in 69 games.

Josefson has a career high of 10 goals in any league season. There is a big difference from a guy putting up 10g 15a 26 PTS in 38 games (AHL) vs what Boychuk has put up in his career outside the NHL.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
This was the first thing I noticed and something I enjoyed most about tonight's game. But I've been yammering on about that for what.. 3 months now? :laugh:

I'm not sold yet, because, again, the neutral zone was a certified disaster tonight --- as expected.

The aggressiveness that they went to the net with sometimes left an open lane for the defense to exit and get on their way - but one thing I might obsessively pour over is how they shut down the trailing d/wingers to cut off passing and negate a few odd man rushes.

A few scary rushes squeaked by... but it was a new look and something else to pay attention to.

Considering how fast the Rags are that isn't a bad job at all though of cutting the passing off and negating most of the rushes.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
I don't disagree. But it's not like Josefson is a total bust. He's just not a top 6er, and that's what we all expect of him. Those Josefsons spread through other teams probably wouldn't make it through waivers either. Some might if they were total busts, but I don't think JJ is.

Tedenby is different. He is useless outside the top 6. He HAS to be there and HAS to score goals to be of any use. He can't play in the bottom 6 because he has no grit, no size, and needs talented linemates to be effective. And he could not play D at all. I mean, he was like High School level bad in the D zone. His offensive production just wasn't where it had to be to offset that. We did all overvalue him and I'm sure I was one of those who thought he wouldn't clear, but really he was pretty useless. Talented, but just never learned D. Josefson has qualities that could at least make him an effective bottom 6er.

Teddy has 10g 20a 30pts in 120 NHL games.
Yayo has 7g 18a 25pts in 118 NHL games.

Yayo doesn't have size (that he can use), grit, and can't even produce with talented linemates.

Teddy struggle to score any goals at any level and was rushed just like Yayo.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Teddy has 10g 20a 30pts in 120 NHL games.
Yayo has 7g 18a 25pts in 118 NHL games.

Yayo doesn't have size (that he can use), grit, and can't even produce with talented linemates.

Teddy struggle to score any goals at any level and was rushed just like Yayo.

He is defensively aware, is a good passer and a decent skater. He is at least big enough to develop a gritty game if he wanted.

Tedenby has none of that aside from the skating. Actually, I still like Tedenby. I hope he somehow finds his way back into the NHL someday, but it's really, really unlikely. He has some seriously sick hands and a really good shot.

Ultimately most of the prospects were rushed, and were rushed into the league with the WORST possible coach. Under Lemaire, maybe they figure things out and become effective somewhere, but under Pete, they really had no chance.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
He is defensively aware, is a good passer and a decent skater. He is at least big enough to develop a gritty game if he wanted.

Tedenby has none of that aside from the skating. Actually, I still like Tedenby. I hope he somehow finds his way back into the NHL someday, but it's really, really unlikely. He has some seriously sick hands and a really good shot.

Ultimately most of the prospects were rushed, and were rushed into the league with the WORST possible coach. Under Lemaire, maybe they figure things out and become effective somewhere, but under Pete, they really had no chance.

LOL. They were rushed in the league and Lemaire was their first coach.

Teddy and yayo have never scored in any league they were in. If Yayo was as good as you say he was than he would have produced by now. Teddy was a better checker than Yayo which is not a good sign for a gritty 4th liner.

Teddy and Yayo develop is Lou problem not any of the HC. Our farm system was weak because of all the draft picks lou threw away via trades.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Couldn't agree more with you on this point.

We need to find a better winger for those two. I can't stress this enough. Zubrus picked up where he left off last season. Continuing his free fall down Mount Everest.

I'm only bent out of shape about the guy because it's like they want him to play with Elias and in bigger roles than he should. On an offensively challenged team, we can't afford Zubrus playing with Elias. There came a point where Zubrus was dragging down Jägr and Trav last year, then they started producing again after he was taken away from them.

I do like the guy for what he's done, but this has the makings of being another Salvador or Pandolfo. A guy we kept for too long. Next year will be a bigger problem since He's still under contract, Ruutu will be under contract, and Matteau will have to be in the NHL because he won't be waiver exempt.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
He was decent. I just don't really see a need for him outside of the 7th D man. Would he accept that role? Would accept a paycheck that comes with that role?

Kaberle didn't show me enough to think he is getting a contract. He isn't better in his own zone than Harrold and his offense is no where near good enough to get any significant 5 on 5 time.

I also don't see how his playing style fits our team offensive strategy of having the D consistently pinch in.

My guess is Lou is going to want a D that can play the PK better than Harrold. I would like to see how the Russian guy plays, but IMO he is the only one with a chance of making the opening night roster.

Merrill/Larsson are going to get a lot of minutes this year. Could be really good or really bad for one or both of them.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
LOL. They were rushed in the league and Lemaire was their first coach.

Teddy and yayo have never scored in any league they were in. If Yayo was as good as you say he was than he would have produced by now. Teddy was a better checker than Yayo which is not a good sign for a gritty 4th liner.

Teddy and Yayo develop is Lou problem not any of the HC. Our farm system was weak because of all the draft picks lou threw away via trades.

Yes, and they looked passable under JL. Like they might actually become something despite being rushed. Teddy scored some sweet goals (though was never a better checker than JJ) and Josefson, despite being physically immature, was being put in positions to succeed and was looking decent. DeBoer killed that. He does not know how to develop young players in any way. They have to be 100% ready for the NHL game when they come into the league or they have little chance of success under him. They weren't quite ready yet when Pete took over as HC, and he was never going to develop them and find where they needed to be to have a chance at making it.

Lou isn't free of blame here either. I agree with you on that.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Pete:

On the line of Reid Boucher (one goal, one assist, team high six shots) Adam Henrique (game winner with 51.7 seconds left, assist) and Michael Ryder (two goals, assist):

“I thought that line was excellent all night. They created a bunch of goals and they were dangerous, I thought, all night. I thought Boucher was really moving his feet, played with a lot of speed and that line had some good chemistry.”

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Hey guys I missed the game cause I was out on a date, with the most beautiful girl I must add lol. How did Gelinas look defensively? And how did Severson look overall? I know their stat lines both look good but that never tells the whole story.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Yes, and they looked passable under JL. Like they might actually become something despite being rushed. Teddy scored some sweet goals (though was never a better checker than JJ) and Josefson, despite being physically immature, was being put in positions to succeed and was looking decent. DeBoer killed that. He does not know how to develop young players in any way. They have to be 100% ready for the NHL game when they come into the league or they have little chance of success under him. They weren't quite ready yet when Pete took over as HC, and he was never going to develop them and find where they needed to be to have a chance at making it.

Lou isn't free of blame here either. I agree with you on that.

Teddy was playing 12:33 ATOI and scored the majority of his goals with John MacLean as his HC not Lemaire. Lemaire was actually playing him 8:37 ATOI during the month of February.

Yayo wasn't that great under Lemaire. He was playing 13:14 ATOI and put up 10 points. Not sure if people remember but that team was like one of the strongest teams ever after the all-star break. It is a lot easier to look good when the team is winning vs losing.

Lemaire treats rookies with a shorter lease than Pete. Not sure how people can forget that. He wasn't gone that long.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Tedenby wasn't all that great under Lemaire, I don't know where this keeps coming from.

I can't remember what thread it was in, but Jim pinpointed a stretch where Tedenby couldn't crack Lemaire's lineup either. Exact dates, quotes in TG's blog, etc.

Tedenby has all the skills to compete at a high level, but not nearly enough hockey IQ to play against the best in the NHL. No amount of coaching can change that.
Kid's got a great attitude, and it's a damn shame he couldn't put it altogether.

There's always the chance that playing against men for a while out in the KHL will help him get to where he needs to be. Zuccarello managed to find his game by spending some time in Europe, so there might be (some) hope for our Tedenby.

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey
Pete:

On the line of Reid Boucher (one goal, one assist, team high six shots) Adam Henrique (game winner with 51.7 seconds left, assist) and Michael Ryder (two goals, assist):

“I thought that line was excellent all night. They created a bunch of goals and they were dangerous, I thought, all night. I thought Boucher was really moving his feet, played with a lot of speed and that line had some good chemistry.â€
Exactly what I wanted to here form him, hopefully we can keep that line into the season

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Teddy put some points up under Maclean and was a healthy scratch when Lemaire took over. He worked his way back in the lineup, but didn't out up the same point totals. The next year under Deboer he got stuck on the disaster of a 4th line (that not even our top players could produce with) and things went side ways for him. That said bottom line he wasn't big enough to play. Got ragged dolled too much.

Josefson on the other hand was rushed and hampered by injuries.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Tedy's gone. Let's move on from him. Enough things from tonight's performance to analyze.

Looking back on the game I just disagree with the idea Lars had a bad game. He wasn't amazing but he looked overall pretty solid and him with Gely was a solid pairing.

The only defensemen that had a bad game was Komi. He was dreadful. Kaberle was ok but not stand outish enough to earn a contract but it's still early.

Ryder honestly looks improved and if he really is that is a huge plus for us offensively.

Boucher really impressed me. The impressive parts was he was making his presence felt on the defensive side of the ice too and was starting plays on both ends. That's the kind of stuff that makes one want to think he is ready.

Camille the Eel

This is one of my biggest take aways and isn't being talked about much. It really seems like there have been adjustments made to how the team breaks out and plays offense and it seemed to be very effective.

For all the puck possession last year, they weren't very good at working the puck into the high scoring % areas. Held on to it a lot but it often didn't get to the slot.

whatever they were working tonight, they got the puck to the front of the net fast; seemed to create isolated 2 on 1 situations with fast give-and-go passes. Boucher and Henrique did it a couple times; Henrique and JJ also worked it in the second period. Very nice.

It looks like something you can run a drill on.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
For all the puck possession last year, they weren't very good at working the puck into the high scoring % areas. Held on to it a lot but it often didn't get to the slot.

whatever they were working tonight, they got the puck to the front of the net fast; seemed to create isolated 2 on 1 situations with fast give-and-go passes. Boucher and Henrique did it a couple times; Henrique and JJ also worked it in the second period. Very nice.

It looks like something you can run a drill on.

Pete mentioned post game this was something they were working on as a gameplan. Funnel the puck to the net more and get bodies in front. It was clear on most of the goals tonight but go back and it was also evident on more then a few tough saves Henry and talbot had to make. Dano also noticed in during the intermission how we got to cute sometimes last year and we weren't playing that way tonight.

See how this continues going forward when Clowe is inserted into the lineup and our top line plays. Elias line was ok tonight but you could see they are still working things out. Good news is Havlat flashed some skill and his motor seems intact. Chemistry should develop. The question is will Zubs work with them or someone else.

5 on 5 play looked pretty good though. They were limiting shots and the forecheck was working. Lots of good early signs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad